Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, I had an account on a forum much like this one. I learned a ridiculous amount about the breed & the importance of avoiding backyard breeding, etc.

Long story short, I figured it was time to jump back on a forum & see what I've missed. My lady is now 8 years old. Since my last time in something like this, I've gone through quite a bit with the breed.

My 8-year-old was purchased from a backyard breeder (found the forums too late). She went through a rough bout with mange and luckily made it through but her coat has never been the same. After that, we had discovered she had an inverted vulva, so when she was spayed, it made her incontinent. These are some of her health issues but what I can say is for the $500 we paid 8 years ago, she has cost us well over $4,000 since in total.

A few years back, my ex wife & I took in a young male Doberman as a part of the rescue we were working with. We originally fostered him & adopted him out but after about a year he came back & we decided to keep him. A year into us having him, he ended up passing at the young age of three. It absolutely broke both of us but once again reaffirmed just how important it is to support reputable breeders and the overall betterment of this breed's health.

My old girl is far to set in her ways to add a new family member now but I figure down the line we will end up with another Doberman and I'm absolutely determined to do it right this time. It's amazing how one dog can change someone's life so much but I will forever be indebted to mine for all she has helped me through and been there for.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting back involved and hope to ultimately get involved with some sort of Doberman rescue out here in Dallas Fort-Worth at some point. Can't ever get enough of being around these dogs.

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
This is probably the forum you were on - it has changed some over the years. Welcome back!

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
Good timing on your part as this site recently completed some upgrading.
We have received a lot of new members recently It seems.
Again big welcome.
So other than health issues what kind of activities are you involved with At this time?
Farm-life, nosework, or luxury home life? LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is probably the forum you were on - it has changed some over the years. Welcome back!
You could very well be right. It was 8 or so years ago. Very helpful site if that was indeed it!

Good timing on your part as this site recently completed some upgrading.
We have received a lot of new members recently It seems.
Again big welcome.
So other than health issues what kind of activities are you involved with At this time?
Farm-life, nosework, or luxury home life? LOL
Without getting too personal, there's been a lot of change for Chloe. About a year & a half ago, my ex wife & I split. Chloe went from one of four dogs to the only dog. She actually loved it. Moved to Texas from California and started a new life here. Since that point, she has a new playmate (A 3 1/2 year old male Golden Retriever). She pretends to not like him on occasion but her laying on him and/or next to him 90% says differently, lol. She's a fickle girl. She's slowing down a bit but she still enjoys her trips to the dog park. She does a lot less running now but she loves to grab a ball, then go lay down in the grass & relax with it. She'll be getting a new house soon (having one built). So that's probably where she'll live out the rest of her glory years in peace!

Here’s a picture of the two of them last weekend.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,061 Posts
Looks like they've been running around a bit—you can tell by the length of their tongues that they like each other. 😁

Welcome to DT from Colorado!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts