Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Let me just say I love this forum! Pretty much every question we had we found the answer here. My boy ruger is just about 5 months old and he brings us so much joy! I don't know if I should ask my first question here or in a different thread? Anyway I was just worried about rugers ears. They are cropped and we will be done posting very soon! :) he is very rambunctious and he is always rolling on them, bending them during sleep and playing with other dogs and toys. Is it true that the cartilage can break and damage the ears?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,316 Posts
Welcome from Colorado!!

Generally you should ask your questions on whatever forum seems to match the question's topic the best--that way you reach the folks who are most interested in those areas for their responses.

About his ears--if they are done fully and completely it does not matter how much he plays and bends them--dobes' ears do not always stay erect anyway, but move around up and down and sideways to express their many emotions.

But is he done teething? It is the usual custom to continue to post the ears at least until the dog has finished teething. Ears can sag during teething, and the extra support helps keep them properly erect until the cartilage stiffens after teething is over.

I tend to make it a rule to post the ears at least 2 weeks AFTER I think they are completely done. In the grand scheme of things, a few extra weeks don't matter THAT much, and it is better to make sure all the time and effort and expense I've spent up until that time don't go to waste by quitting just a bit too soon.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Welcome - where in PA?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome from Missouri and Shrock sleeps with one ear bent over. But I kept it posted and it stands correctly even though when sleeping it gets a crease in it. As long as you keep them posted and they stand straight when you first take them down then you should be fine.

You might want to use a stiffer post for the last month as the cartilage firms up complete just to be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fitzmar Dobermans we are from Schuylkill County. Thanks to all for the help and hello's! As for pics we would love to post some but not sure how to do it? Do I need photo bucket?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts