Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
RIP Lexi
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello everyone & Happy Memorial Weekend!!!

i'm ivy from nyc~

i'm sorry it took me so long to post. this site has been extremely helpful to me ever since i got Lexi, my 9mth old blk/rust.

i'm afraid this posting is going to be rather glum, since im posting out of semi-depression....

i'm having a tough time with her ears not standing....and would like some help

she has the long show crop (breeder had them cropped) and i have been posting her ears since i got her when she was 3mths.

i started off with tampons and in the middle used wire braces ordered from the Hoytt website.
Then i read that they're not as great and went back to using tampons and vetwrap.

Her ear's bases are "standing" but the top half of her ears are sort of floating...
What i would really love is for a vet or anyone around my area with experience cropping dobies to take a look at them.

Im going to continue to post her ears, but would like a 3rd opinion on whether they would stand at all - b/c its hard for me and even more for her.
please help~Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey IVY welcome to the forum officially and a fellow NYC now im not the only one. As you know my girlfriend is awaiting her puppy and when we get her she will get her ears cropped. When this happens i can refer you to the Vet that i went to if his work is good, and since you live in NYC it shouldnt be a problem for you to visit him.

Until than did you maybe consider contacting the breeder and asking him to take a look at her, or have the vet that performed the ear cropping to check her, best of luck.

·
RIP Lexi
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ben,
thank you! that would be great if you could let me know about your vet - hopefully they are knowledgable of long crops too...Rocky's shorter look seem much easier~oh well we live and learn
my breeder is in buffalo ny, long drive...and she doesnt answer my calls - i once called to ask her about lexi's Vwd testing and to finally get my papers but no luck- i sort of gave up on trying to contact her.
well thanks for your reply, i dont feel so alone anymore and please let your girlfriend know that all of us at the forum are so excited for her!
is she getting a blk dobie also? if i have a second one, i want a red~
take care and enjoy the weekend!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
is your breeder JKKS dobermans (marcia j?)

its hard to say how her ears are doing since most pics of her have her up in posts. how long do you leave them out of posts, and what happens when they arent posted? is it just the tips that fall down?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
hello and welcome to the forum. I hope that you enjoy it here. Lexi is very pretty! Sorry you are having so much trouble with the ears! I am sure that you will find several people here that can help! That is too bad about the breeder. A breeder should be there to help with any problems at any time of the dog's live in my opinion! Well, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Lexi is a Very Nice looking Dobe I perfer the Rich maghony Markings like She has. She also looks like she has lots of Bone and Substance no Spindly Legs like most Dobies. I've seen alot of Dogs from Hoytt and just about all there Ears toward the top tend to bend down like from the tip and then some. I dont think there Brace is as good as they say. Thats prolly why there Ears dont stand all the way up. I agree with frznbuns about the Breeder always being there but in this case it doesnt look like she is so try to go another Breeder for Help or a Vet. I think the Tampon Method is the best way to go. I't can take a while to get them Show Crops to stand dont give up Keep tapeing best of luck!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hello and welcome to Dobermantalk, from one Lexus to another Lexi :) Your girl is beautiful. The quickbrace worked great for Lexus's ears, but each to their own, I have heard some other people have trouble using it too. I'm sure you'll get some great posting advice to come, so best wishes.

I know what you are talking about CRX, I can't stand that look, and honestly don't know why they (breeder & owners alike) allowed the ears to shape like that.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from me and the pack here in the U.K.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Hey sometimes these things happen. My puppy's ears bend outward a little at the tops, and I've been posting Doberman ears for 30 years, off and on. I've had his ears looked at by an experienced breeder/handler/judge and she couldn't get them straight either.

I also don't think it's necessary for people to insult other people's dogs in order express the fact they like another dog.

I echo Kim's question, is the breeder of this puppy Marcia from JKK's? If so, I don't know if she was ever "there" for her puppy owners, but I have heard that she has had some serious problems lately and so may be incommunicado. In any case, she's no expert on ears. I've seen pictures of her dogs with various ear problems.

There are experienced Doberman people in New York State, I don't know about New York City itself, but we can network on it. The OP is right, the really best thing is to have an experienced person look at the ears. Usually that isn't a vet. Most responsible breeders crop their puppies' ears before they're placed. That doesn't automatically mean that breeders who crop are also responsible. But getting an uncropped puppy from a breeder that the owner then has to find a vet to crop the ears is not the best way to go. It usually means the puppy is not coming from a good breeder, and unless the deal was finalized I'd recommend passing on the puppy and getting one from a breeder who has the crop already done. It's unlikely that the vet found to crop the New York puppy's ears will be an ear expert.

·
Banned
675 Posts
"Why does your Dobe look so different? The color is so dark?"

I think this puppy is at least part European, maybe all European. A lot of them have very dark markings.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The ears of about every hoytt dog ive seen bend down like that. I'm pretty sure there not trying to correct anything thats just what I believe. Lots of people wont own a Dobe unless its from Euro Lines they say theres such a big difference if you can find a good Breeder of there. These people dont just have them as pets either usually. There are good Dobes here ofcourse but as far as working dobes go....Dobes were ment to be Hard Dogs ready to tackle a situation when they need to. Prancing around the ring doesnt do it for me.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
lol My dog is nothing special she is my first Dobe and a friend of the family that lives in Minn. gave me Holly as a gift in December and unfortunatly she is from Aruff Dobermans. I dont remember saying I did anything with my Dog and so far I havent but someday I might. Honestly I'm not trying to insult you or anyone else I'm just rambling about what I believe and what I've seen. Lets take them dogs out of the Ring and see if they can Work or not thats something that i'm intrested in. The dogs get high marks for looks but is that all they have looks? I like the way most u.s. dobes look but the next Dobe I get I would want in from eurolines. www.altobellodobermann.com check out these Dobies some people would rather go to wendys then mcdonalds and some would rather have a dobe from europe then here fighting about it is whack everyone has there own prefences.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Then you get your dog out there and *do it*. I've already been there.

Altobello Kennels is the Kimbertal of Europe. In fact they have sold multiple stud dogs to Kimbertal. They have also sold dogs of both sexes to numerous ignorant, unethical breeders in the U.S. Aruff probably will have one soon if they don't already. One year Altobello produced 25 litters, and most years they produce double digit numbers of litters. They do very little with their dogs beyond conformation showing and especially breeding.

It's not just about everyone's own preferences. You went out of your way on a thread that was not even about American vs Euro to state twice how you not only don't like American Dobermans but insult the way they look as well.

I'm tired of hearing this same line from everyone newbie that thinks they've discovered something great. Think what you want but I was there over 20 years ago, don't want to go there again.

To make statements about American dogs being "spindly" and being in a "ring" and not working is just ignorant. Find out some real facts before you start making unsolicited simplistic insulting statements.

·
4,376 Posts
O.K.people this this thread started off as an introduction thread and a plea for help, how it has turned into an debate about breeding i don't know.If you want to start a debate about Euro or U.S. dobes start a new thread,anyway you know my point of view on this most of us just love em for what they are,meanwhile we have a member who is kinda down bcuz of her dogs ears,now you know i don't know a thing about that apart from what i have picked up on here(my one and only attempt was poor),so all you ear posting experts out there please help if you can..

·
Banned
675 Posts
Thaht person has not replied to any of the questions asked of her. What else do you want people to do?

I am not having a *debate* about anything. I said I was sick and tired of having my dogs insulted, especially gratuitiously on a thread that had nothing to do with physical or mental quality of the dogs. Why don't you tell that person to stop being so rude. I did not start it and I have no tolerance for it today. I've put up with it before and I have contributed to this forum, but this was too much.

·
4,376 Posts
I don't think he was having a go at your dogs personally, he was stating his view on show dogs generally,so he could have been having a go at me also,we like the showring ,he doesn't, no skin off my back,don't take it to heart, we all have our own views on things, i would take a dog from the U.S tomorrow if i could, in fact i would take a dobe from anywhere if i had the funds to do it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts