Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself on here. Found this amazing resource of a site while trying to find info on different Dobie breeders in my general vicinity.
I do not own a doberman at the moment, we had one when I was a kid, and am in love with the breed. I am looking to get a pup in the distant near future!
I actually have several questions, not sure if posting them here is the place to do it, but I will at least ask one! :p
I am wanting to get a pup specifically with therapy dog work in mind. I am not interested in adopting as I would like to raise the dog from puppyhood, that way I know the dog's past, and that way I can ensure better overall genetic health (by getting a pup from a reputable breeder), and then I can also socialize the dog to be comfortable around children, people with walkers or wheelchairs or anything else that might be scary to a dog, or even other animals it may run in to in therapy work (there is a place in the Bay Area that uses goats, rabbits, horses, and the like for therapy animals!).
So one of my questions is about American vs European dobies: strictly speaking for therapy work, it sounds like European types tend to be more driven, and better for schutzhund, agility, hunting, etc. so I am wondering if American types would be a better choice when looking for a dog for therapy work? But maybe I am incorrect on that thought?
Thanks for any advice in advance!

·
Super Moderator
22,917 Posts
Welcome! My girl just got her certification through Delta. Therapy dog work is super rewarding! There are other people on here who do therapy work with their dogs. I think they are primarily American lines, but I could be wrong on that. I think you can find the right temperament in either as long as you are willing to be patient and work with the breeder to find a puppy that fits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes!
I shall definitely be posting pictures when the time comes, Diesel_2011 :)
That is exciting MeadowCat!! Congratulations to you and your girl! Yeah I am definitely in no hurry on this decision, as I want to make sure I get the perfect dog for the job. Whether it is 5 months, a year, or 3 years or whenever, I am wanting mostly to get acquainted with other doberman owners and with some good breeders. A friend of mine is actually getting me in contact with someone she knows who I will be able to "borrow" a certified therapy dog from to get a feel for it! I am very excited about this :)
It is so amazing how a dog, or any other animal for that matter, can totally change someone's life in a hospital or nursing home setting!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to find out lots of different information and opinions. I for one, have Spirit who can be traced to a Germany line. He is big, 27 1/2" to withers and 95lbs. Very Square and lots of muscle. He is one of the most gentle dogs I have ever seen. I did do some breeding for a couple of years with him. Now that he is older, neutered, He is a Therapy for the last 3 years. I do not feel it is the line they come from--German or American-- it is how you socialize them and train them, That is what is important. Welcome again and good luck

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!

Good luck with your research and search for just the right Dobe!

Please include rescue Dobes in your search too. There are many awesome rescue Dobes that would make excellent therapy dogs if given a chance. :)

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Hi, welcome from Virginia!
:wavey:
I have a girl that's working bred - she has the best temperament! I see her being a therapy dog some day. ;) good luck in your search!

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hey there are a lot of events coming up in Nor Cal that you could come out and meet some show breeders. Our club is having it's specialty early October just outside of Sacramento. Nor Cal Dobe club is having their Picnic in the Park early October as well in Concord.

Send me a PM if you would like details on these events.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento. The best therapy dogs really boil down to temperament. You will find good, ok, bad and worse in any lines whether show, working or what continent they come from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the kind welcomes and good information! I shall definitely have to check out some of these events!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts