Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am so excited that my husband and I have finally decided to get a Doberman, well actually in a couple years however i want to learn as much as i can about actually owning such an Elegant Dog. I have wanted one for as long as I can Remember.

so I am willing to take as much advice and opions you can give!!!!

Thankyou from the White Family!!!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome to DT from Colorado! I grew up in NM as a kid and loved it :)

If you decide to go the breeder route, there are two breeders in Colorado that I would recommend. I know a dog from one of them and he is amazing, gorgeous, and a big goof!

Rescues make amazing companions as well so don't forget to check out a few!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would prefer to go the breeder route simply because i would like to created and enjoy the bond you get from raising your own puppy to a wonderful, well adjusted member of the family but if i run across a rescue that i simply cant refuse then they would have a home here just the same.

do you have any contact info on your breeder in Colorado? I would like to get to know one to begin my search, granted I am a few years out from purchase/rescue.

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!!!

good luck with your research!!!

in case you haven't heard... Rescues are the BEST! :)

Hugz to you and yours!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
i would prefer to go the breeder route simply because i would like to created and enjoy the bond you get from raising your own puppy to a wonderful, well adjusted member of the family but if i run across a rescue that i simply cant refuse then they would have a home here just the same.

do you have any contact info on your breeder in Colorado? I would like to get to know one to begin my search, granted I am a few years out from purchase/rescue.
Imagemaker is in Berthoud, CO. I know an Imagemaker dog and he is an amazing boy (a champion and health tested on top of that). If I was looking for a NA showline type dog, I would definitely consider getting a pup from this breeder.

Gallant is another breeder in CO that I would recommend. I don't have any experience with Gallant Dobermans, but have heard nothing but great things.

Other than these two, there aren't any other breeders in CO that I feel comfortable recommending, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other great breeders here.

Dobermans have some serious health issues, so it's important to purchase a puppy from a reputable/ethical breeder that is proving their dogs in the show ring/working field and health testing (cardio, eyes, liver, hips, vWD, etc..) and can tell you the frequency of DCM/health issues in their dogs' pedigrees.

Also, like Darkevs mentioned, rescues are the best :) With this breed, you will have no problem bonding with an adult or older puppy. I'm fostering a 5-6 year old dog and our bond is probably the best she's ever had with a human. Puppies do end up in rescues as well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts