Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
therapize NJ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
I found this site about 5 days ago after doing a "google" search on the pain med, Tramadol that our almost 11 y.o. red dobie, Klothilde, was prescribed by the ER. Our girl became suddenly and critically ill on 1/12. After the first ER, she ended up in our regional vet hospital in critical care. She is back home now and seems to be a bit better every day. Some of her labs have come back. Everything looks good so far. They have ruled out all of the most nightmarish things that were scaring me silly. We are still waiting on the cultures of joint fluid, blood and urine to come back. Drs. think we are dealing with either an infection that affected her joints or an auto-immune mediated arthritis. I'm hoping for the former, although I have NO idea where she would have picked up an infection. Since she is my autistic daughter's service dog, she lives exclusively inside, and is exposed to no other animals other than our inside kitty. Either way it turns out, it will be treatable, and she should make a good recovery. After over $3000, we know that she is extremely healthy and should have a number of years with us yet. Feel like we dodged a HUGE bullet!
Anyway, this site had a lot of really good information, including a story that sounded a lot like Kloey's symptoms. That story allowed me to not totally panic about her condition. We had some rocky moments once she arrived home, but finally traced it to the dose of Tramadol being too high. Once it was reduced, she started progressing well. She even gave me a kiss yesterday! Before that, she looked as if she had no idea where she was, who we were or who SHE was. She looked semi-comatose, really scary. She is still sleeping a lot and is stiff in her hind-quarters, but we're hoping she will be 100%, or nearly so, in a few weeks and will be able to resume taking care of her girl, Emmy.
So glad to be here among others who understand the bond that develops with these furry babes. BTW, Kloey is a rescue from North Carolina. Yes, we drove clear down from Jersey to around Asheville to pick her up many years ago. Joanna Walker of Marks-Tey Dobermans, (may she rest with the angels), was the lady that rescued our Kloey and knew that she was made just for us--she was SO right! I think that Joanna must know how much we still need our Kloey and believe that she put in a good word with the Man upstairs for her and us. Looking forward to sharing more good news in the future, as well as reading about yours.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!!

Glad it looks like your girl will be ok.

Hugz to Kloey!

ps.soooooooooo awesome that you chose to rescue and actually got to meet J. Walker!!! awesome!

·
therapize NJ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx 4 the welcome

Yes, it WAS awesome to meet Joanna. She was a VERY special lady, SO good with Emmy and really wanted to find the perfect dobie for us. Joanna was on the lookout for over two months for us. We talked back and forth a lot during that time. Felt like waiting for a baby to be born. :)
When we went to North Carolina to pick up Kloey, Joanna had us over to her home. She was very welcoming, down to earth, open and friendly. Keith was sick by then, but still joined us and added his 2 cents worth about what we might experience with Kloey early on. They were both so caring and made us feel right at home. Joanna even gave Emmy an autographed copy of her last book. We really treasure it.
After we arrived home, we kept in contact with the Walkers. They were encouraging, helpful and always had little "tips" to make the transition with Kloey easier. Joanna and I e-mailed back and forth for quite a while afterwards. When Keith died, we spoke on the phone more often. Then she moved out of the house, and I lost track of her until I received the e-mail about her death. She died 10 days after my own mother. Made me SO sad. Will always be grateful for all her concern, knowledge and friendship.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,345 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from PA. So glad you found us. Hoping and praying your girl is OK and thanks so much for rescuing her and giving her a loving, forever home. Looking forward to lots of pictures of her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts