Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Josh. I'm new to DT and have been comming here to learn more about life with Dobermans. I joined because of the sense of community, what a nice surprise.

I would really like to be a part of a Dobermans life and feel like it would be best for everyone involved if I learn as much as I can before I bring one home. This site has been very helpful. The depth of experience members bring here is impresive to say the least.

I have been finding answers to my questions by spending time reading here and would be happy to read posts that any of you recommend. I had a home vistit with two volunteers from my local Dobe rescue yesterday which was exciting for me. It made my day that they brought one of their dogs. He was full of kisses and what seems to be the Doberman spirit. Although we agreed that right now may not be the best time for me to foster a rescue because I'm in the middle of remodeling my house, it sounded like we can find other ways for me to contribute/learn while getting some face time with the dogs. Fortunately I don't feel rushed or hurried to find my own, just excited at the prospect.

To all of you that post here, Thanks again. What a great resource!

Josh

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT!

Bless you for looking into rescue dogs, I imagine that home visit must have been stressful and yet so fun since they brought a dog with them.

·
Super Moderator
21,990 Posts
Welcome! I'm a volunteer with DRM and we're glad to have you!

Reactions: driverj

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi dax0402- I just looked through your pics, you've had some great looking dogs. Looks like a fun place to take the critters out to stretch their legs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello MeadowCat- Thank's for the reply, I'm glad to be here. Nice to hear that you're involved with DRM. Are both of your Dobes rescues? The pic of the two of them nose to nose is sweet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi PatchworkRobot- Thanks for for the reply. The visit wasn't all that stressful, more interesting to meet some local people that are involved with the breed and the rescue network. They both were clearly committed to and care very much for all Dobermans which was nice to see. Good people:)

·
Super Moderator
21,990 Posts
Hello MeadowCat- Thank's for the reply, I'm glad to be here. Nice to hear that you're involved with DRM. Are both of your Dobes rescues? The pic of the two of them nose to nose is sweet.
Only my red male, Simon, is a rescue. We've had him about nine months now and he's about nine years old. He's absolutely the best dog. He fit into our household so easily and has been absolutely wonderful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi MeadowCat- Quick question for you if you wouldn't mind. I've read that male on male agression is common with dobes, do females tend to have potential problems with other females in your experience? Thanks J.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello- Thanks for the warm welcome from TX. How would you say your Dobe differs from your GSD. My uncle has a female rescue GSD that is wonderful. I'm hoping that once I do get my own dog the two of them will become good friends. I really like seeing the dark coats on a GSD. J.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Hello- Thanks for the warm welcome from TX. How would you say your Dobe differs from your GSD. My uncle has a female rescue GSD that is wonderful. I'm hoping that once I do get my own dog the two of them will become good friends. I really like seeing the dark coats on a GSD. J.
They differ???

q8Kp9zLkPv8

hehe..in all seriousness, my GSD is a rescue, no idea of her past. She is extremely sweet and great with all animals. My dobe is from a breeder. Neither one has ever displayed any sort of aggression towards me or my family and neither have ever growled at us either. I have years of experience fostering and being around GSDs. Dobermans are a lot more velcro and cuddly. GSDs seem to like being on 'patrol' more. Rogue will cuddle with me but she eventually likes to get up and do her own thing. Prime isn't happy unless he is cuddling with me. GSDs tend to be more vocal, anxious, and high-strung. Dobermans seem to be more laid back in that respect. My Doberman is a lot easier to work with. GSDs have my heart, I always hope to have a dobe/GSD combo. Black shepherds are my favorite, bi-colors are a close second..and then I love the black and reds.

·
Super Moderator
21,990 Posts
Hi MeadowCat- Quick question for you if you wouldn't mind. I've read that male on male agression is common with dobes, do females tend to have potential problems with other females in your experience? Thanks J.
Female/female aggression can be a problem, though it seems to be less common than male/male. My female, though, generally dislikes almost all other females. Male/female pairings give you the best chance of success within a household. Many people on DT, though, keep multiple bitches. Are you wondering for within a household, or for interactions outside the house?

Much of it comes down to selecting the right puppy or rescue dog. I have a friend with the most dog social Doberman I've ever met (she's a former foster dog of mine). She's very tolerant of other dogs and enjoys playing with pretty much everyone. On the other hand, neither of my dogs are dog social at all. Shanoa enjoys her one female dog friend for playdates at our house, and she's good with my parents' male dog that we occasionally visit (though he's not always thrilled with her!), but only really likes Simon, her housemate dog. Simon is male aggressive, and doesn't have great "dog manners." He comes on too strong for even a lot of females. So neither of mine get to interact with unfamiliar dogs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Darkevs- You have great looking dogs! Looks like you really enjoy showing them. Thanks for the welcome to DT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi MeadowCat- I guess I am wondering about both. One dog will be plenty for myself I'm thinking, at least for quite a while. I do have two brothers (out of state) that have dogs, one female and ond male dog. It just made me wonder if it was likely that they would get along if introduced properly.

I do have an Uncle that has a great female GSD here in MN that I will introduce to what ever dog I get. The GSD didn't seem to like any dogs when he first rescued her but my Uncle has committed a HUGE amount of time to socializing her along with obedience trainning with great results. She now gets along with all of the dogs that I've seen her around. Lots of time at the dog park has helped her along with good judgement I'm sure. My family jokes that my Uncle doesn't whisper so much as he mutters, so he is the dog mutterer:) I hope to work with both dogs along with him once I have one, I just don't see him as often as I'd like. He is a good resource either way. I would say that one of the many, but main reasons that Dobes appeal to me is that they seem to thrive with an owner or handler that is willing to commit to the time involved to train with them. Thank you for the reply, Dt has turned out to be a fun place to come in search of info.

J.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi ZeldaRules- I laughed out loud when I saw those pics, that video is fun too! It's nice to see how many people have connected with rescues that seem to fit so well for both the dog and the family. You clearly have very happy dogs. That must be a great feeling! Many of the rescues that I've known seem that much more eager to please in a good home because of what ever it is that they where missing before. Cheers! J.

·
Super Moderator
21,990 Posts
Hi MeadowCat- I guess I am wondering about both. One dog will be plenty for myself I'm thinking, at least for quite a while. I do have two brothers (out of state) that have dogs, one female and ond male dog. It just made me wonder if it was likely that they would get along if introduced properly.

I do have an Uncle that has a great female GSD here in MN that I will introduce to what ever dog I get. The GSD didn't seem to like any dogs when he first rescued her but my Uncle has committed a HUGE amount of time to socializing her along with obedience trainning with great results. She now gets along with all of the dogs that I've seen her around. Lots of time at the dog park has helped her along with good judgement I'm sure. My family jokes that my Uncle doesn't whisper so much as he mutters, so he is the dog mutterer:) I hope to work with both dogs along with him once I have one, I just don't see him as often as I'd like. He is a good resource either way. I would say that one of the many, but main reasons that Dobes appeal to me is that they seem to thrive with an owner or handler that is willing to commit to the time involved to train with them. Thank you for the reply, Dt has turned out to be a fun place to come in search of info.

J.
I think if you have plans to have your dog around your brother's male, even rarely, I would go with a female myself. Just a better chance at success.

It's great that you have a good resource. When you do find the right dog, I also know several fantastic trainers in the area and would be happy to recommend some.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts