Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 month old red doberman mix? My 10 year old daughter and I adopted him when he was 4 months old.... Maybe I should say that he adopted us. We went to the pound "just to look" but my daughter was set on getting a dog and we walked through 5 times before we noticed this quite pup in the back of his cage. My daughter, the avid reader on dog breds, informed me of all the great qualities of the doberman (I had done some checking as well since I knew we wern't "just looking" lol).

When the volunteer there got him out and set him on the floor, his cage was up high (he was conciderably smaller then), she said that we would probably have to carry him out because he was stubborn and wouldn't walk for any of the workers. When we got outside my daughter took his leash, he got to his feet and off they went. Huh! Every worker we encountered commented on this and I decided he was right for us.

That first year was trying. He would only walk for my daughter at first. Became very hyper after healing from his "surgery". Became -VERY MOUTHY, that was the most concerning. And I still think he is ADD.

But we have come so very far, mostly unscathed, due to patience and some training at petsmart. We still have daily struggles but I can't imagine what I would do with my time and dry socks if I didn't have to mop up the water on the floor in the kitchen.

Reese has fit himself into our family snuggly, though he is a little jealous of his sister (a half-pied gray cockateil). And that is our story. Thanks for reading :huepfenicon111:

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Hi - - - We don't allow new members without photos! We crave photos! Post some photos!!! (and we had a female who was mildly autistic, and ADD/ADHD - we basically let her do her own thing - she was really sweet and loving, and mostly very good, if a touch crazy)

Dobes are pretty mouthy - supply lots of really good chew toys. And see if he likes to play tug-of-war. Keep up the obedience training, and if he likes to run and play, maybe your daughter would like to try agility or flyball with him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts