Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself, because my fiancee and I have recently come to acquire a 10 week old Doberman puppy.

A Little About Us:

My fiancee and I have been researching the breed for a few months now. We have both had a pretty strong affection for the breed for most of our lives, but for one reason or another it has not been the right time to bring one into our lives.

She, my fiancee, is a hardcore Collie fan. Together we do a lot of rescue work with a collie rescue organization called Tri-State. We do mostly transports but we occasionally have overnight fosters and help out with events. We have a 1 year old Collie, named Violet. She is mostly my fiancee's dog and they are pretty joined at the hip. They plan on getting their Rally Novice sometime this year hopefully.

As for me, I've been a Doberman fan since I was a teenager. For most of my life, however, I've had a GSD. I'm a pretty big dog sport fan, enjoying everything from dock-diving to disc dogging. We're both pretty active people with our dogs and intend to stay that way. We've structured most of our present life and future plans around dogs, and we both like it that way.

We lost our last GSD about a few months ago, she came from a reputable breeder, but ended up with weak nerves and severe aggression and episodes where she would not recognize me or my fiancee. We worked with a trainer, a behaviorist, and our veterinarian for quite some time to work through her aggression, or at least find a way to manage it while still giving her a full, happy life and keep everyone around her safe. After a long, rough road of trying to handle her aggression, she began attacking children, strangers, and ultimately us, and we were left with the impossible choice to euthanize her. Rehoming would have been grossly irresponsible, and she had become unsafe even in our home, even with the help of wonderful professionals in the veterinary and behavior fields. The pain of that is still raw but we had decided after our last GSD that would be the last one for us.

About Our Pup:

Our pup came from an interesting situation. A young family member of mine acquired him from a breeder, I would assume a back yard breeder, on impulse. He was absolutely not ready to handle a puppy nor was he equipped financially to do so. He ended up calling us about him, being that we're regarded as the "dog people" of my family, and we offered to take him in and have completely fallen in love with the dog.

We've found this forum to be a great resource and have been doing extra research now since our puppy has come to us slightly expectedly, but we were well settled on a Doberman already, ready to add a second dog, and had been researching breeders for some time, and reading everything that we could get our hands on (including this forum) to prepare and be sure that we would be able to be the home that a Doberman would need. He is a delight to have around. We're doing our best to arm ourselves with knowledge to be prepared to deal with any health issues that may arise someday due to his sketchy beginnings, but he's impossible not to love.

I've attached a picture, I hope that is the appropriate place for one.

6 by bl_meyers, on Flickr

8 by bl_meyers, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your welcomes. As soon as we get a couple of more pictures I'll be sure to put them up. :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Wow that pup is stunning! I've never seen a fawn with blue eyes... wonder if they're usually born like that. Gorgeous nonetheless.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Wow that pup is stunning! I've never seen a fawn with blue eyes... wonder if they're usually born like that. Gorgeous nonetheless.
I was wondering the same thing.
What colour eyes do fawns usually have? I've had two black/tan with dark eyes. And now a red with amber eyes. I don't really know much about blue or fawn colouring.
My other question if anyone cares to answer it.....is....why are baby red dobes born with blue eyes that change to amber when they are older? I don't think blacks are born with light eyes. Are the fawn and blues born with light eyes too at first? Do they change to amber when they're older too?
HA HA. Well that was a lot of questions......but I want to know!!!
Some of the dobe experts will know!

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Oh....and welcome!!! Very cute pup! Can't wait for more pics!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was wondering the same thing.
What colour eyes do fawns usually have? I've had two black/tan with dark eyes. And now a red with amber eyes. I don't really know much about blue or fawn colouring.
My other question if anyone cares to answer it.....is....why are baby red dobes born with blue eyes that change to amber when they are older? I don't think blacks are born with light eyes. Are the fawn and blues born with light eyes too at first? Do they change to amber when they're older too?
HA HA. Well that was a lot of questions......but I want to know!!!
Some of the dobe experts will know!
I'm in no way a dog expert, but I do know that some breeds naturally have blue eyes occurring within the breed, such as Siberian Huskies (I had one for about 4 years and she had beautiful blue eyes) and Australian Shepherds. Blue eyes are a recessive gene in most breeds so any breed can throw a blue eyed pup, though its rare in breeds not known for their blue eyes. Cataracts and deafness are health issues associated with blue eyes in dogs. Unfortunately I don't know specifics about Doberman puppy eye colors, hopefully someone who has more experience in the breed knows.

Also, welcome from Indy, IN! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts