Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am from central Indiana (not too far from Indianapolis) and I have been coming to this site (and a few others) for awhile now as my interest in owning a doberman has grown. I am currently a graduate student, but I am trying to plan ahead so that in a couple of years when I am ready to own a doberman I'll be as prepared as possible. I have gotten in touch with the local DPCA chapter and they have been so great in helping me out!

I wanted to pose one question that I have asked other doberman owners about. I have been told that for my first doberman I should get a female because they have a sweeter disposition towards males (which obviously includes me!). Is that true? What other factors might come into play? I appreciate any advice/insight that you guys have!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I think that is one of those questions that if you ask 10 different people you will get 10 different answers.

In my experience, Males are "sweeter" and more clingy than females. Females tend to be a bit more independent and can be 'bitchy'. I think Males are easier and personally I prefer Males to Females. Again, this is just my own personal experience.

Both sexes require boundaries and training.

Welcome to DT!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome!

I've always heard that female dobes are easier for a first time owner. I've also always been of the belief that male animals bond better to female people and female animals bond better to male people. However, this is all opinion and not based on fact.

If you really don't have any gender preference I'd approach a breeder with what you want in a dog personality wise and let the breeder choose whichever pup that they think is best for you, regardless of gender.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts