Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning. This is my first intro post on the forum.
My name is JoAnne, and I have 3 Dobermans. I compete in both agility and obedience, and my oldest, Mattie (OTCH LTL Mattie's Touch of Class, UDX3, OM2, MX, MXJ, NAP, OJP) has been in the Top 20 obedience since 2006, winning the Top 20 in 2009.

Greda (Dedo's Greda's Touch of Magic,UDX, OM1, AX, AXJ) has been in the Top 20 since 2007, winning in 2008.

My youngest child, Fosta (MACH Dedo's Fostas Touch of Style, CDX) made the Top 20 in 2010, having all three dogs in the Top 20 that year. Fosta this year made the Top 20 agility.

I run my own training center, and have given obedience seminars twice at Doberman Nationals, and other places around the country.

I enjoy sharing and conversing on training issues.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Welcome to Doberman Talk

You have AMAZING working dogs, hope you stick aroung this site and pass on your knowledge.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sorry Missed your semiar at the last national in KY I was going to sign up but we had my step-father (RIP) with us and he health was just starting to fail so I didn't go out much to seminars I needed to be in the room to help my mom if needed.

I would love to know when you will be doing another seminar.

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
What an accomplishment to own dogs with which you've achieved an OTCH and a MACH. I train (novice) in obedience and agility with both of my dogs and I always feel like I'm being pulled one direction or another. I see your MACH dog has a CDX and your OTCH dog has some Master Excellent agility titles. Did you hit a point with each dog where you felt like you had to pick one to really focus on? Obviously with a MACH CDX dog and an OTCH MX dog it's not like you really slacked off in either sport for either dog but I'm curious how you chose to handle the balance training between the 2 sports.

This forum can use your experience. I hope you stick around.

Oh, and welcome from Missouri!

Reactions: Australdi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for your welcomes!!! Until recently, I did not know this forum existed, so I am quite excited to connect with other Dobe people.

Sorry Missed your semiar at the last national in KY I was going to sign up but we had my step-father (RIP) with us and he health was just starting to fail so I didn't go out much to seminars I needed to be in the room to help my mom if needed.

I would love to know when you will be doing another seminar.
So sorry to hear... And I don't know if I can advertise seminars on this forum... :-/ Just not sure... The next one is in Florida tho, and if you are in the Chicago land area, you are not too far from me. I am going to the agility trial this weekend in Naperville... If you will be there, look me up!! :)

What an accomplishment to own dogs with which you've achieved an OTCH and a MACH. I train (novice) in obedience and agility with both of my dogs and I always feel like I'm being pulled one direction or another. I see your MACH dog has a CDX and your OTCH dog has some Master Excellent agility titles. Did you hit a point with each dog where you felt like you had to pick one to really focus on? Obviously with a MACH CDX dog and an OTCH MX dog it's not like you really slacked off in either sport for either dog but I'm curious how you chose to handle the balance training between the 2 sports.

This forum can use your experience. I hope you stick around.

Oh, and welcome from Missouri!
Thank you, and I just have a lot of fun training and showing. I did not try to get an OTCH, when I saw that we were over 50% of the way, I decided to push a little for it. Same with the MACH... Once we started gaining ground, I pushed a bit.

Some dogs have advantages over others. Mattie is my heart dog, but she is stocky, and just not built for tons of jumping or agility. She loves it, but it shows after a trial. Greda never really liked agility, and loves obedience, go figure... You would think it would be the other way around. Fosta loves agility, and while she has her CDX, she gets vocal in the ring, which costs her points. So one day maybe a UD, but she is doing awesome in agility, so there we stay.

Choices I think are made on what the dog excels in, and what you and your dog enjoy doing together. Sadly, this will be probably our last year for now in the top 20 obedience, as Mattie is now retired, and Greda is close to it. May get one more year out of Greda, but with Nationals in California next year, will probably not go.

So I guess to answer your questions... I train both together. I send a dog thru a tunnel to get a dumbell, and thru the weaves to get a dumbell. I throw the dumbell past two jumps and a tire, and have the dog retrieve back thru all of them... Makes BOTH obedience and agility fun. I send dogs thru tunnels to the Utility scent articles. And play lots of games with everything.

And thank you again for all the welcomes!!!

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
I'm not sure if you can advertise seminars on this forum. I think you can but hopefully a mod will clarify.

Do you have a site that lists your seminar dates? I'd be interested to attend.

I'm sorry to hear Mattie is retired and Greda is close to it. I dread the day that chapter closes for me and my current dogs. There's nothing in the world like training with your dog and I wish it could go on forever.

My girl Fiona is through and through an agility dog; to the point it's sort-of like she was born knowing agility and she's just been waiting for me to ask her to do it. Much to my surprise though as she's matured she's started to take a liking to obedience as well as long as it's kept upbeat and fun. And I think we've finally landed a couple obedience trainers that can help me do that. So I am particularly interested in your comments about training the sports together and keeping both fun. Many obedience trainers in my area are all about drilling and monotone precision. Fiona turns that kind of training into a circus because it bores her to tears otherwise.

My girl Tali is a natural obedience dog. She enjoys agility but she's still really green and can kinda be all over the place at times, so Tali and I have to move more slowly than I have with Fiona and spend more time regrouping and letting Tali collect her head in agility but she does well and, most importantly, we both have a lot of fun.

Anyway, I'd love to hear more about your experiences and training philosophy. (And I'll stop high-jacking your thread now. :))

Reactions: Obedog

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
nice to see you on the seminar - i love how your dogs work and its so nice to see dobermans that have drive and personalities in the ring :) id love for all my dogs to work like yours!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if you can advertise seminars on this forum. I think you can but hopefully a mod will clarify.

Do you have a site that lists your seminar dates? I'd be interested to attend.

I'm sorry to hear Mattie is retired and Greda is close to it. I dread the day that chapter closes for me and my current dogs. There's nothing in the world like training with your dog and I wish it could go on forever.

My girl Fiona is through and through an agility dog; to the point it's sort-of like she was born knowing agility and she's just been waiting for me to ask her to do it. Much to my surprise though as she's matured she's started to take a liking to obedience as well as long as it's kept upbeat and fun. And I think we've finally landed a couple obedience trainers that can help me do that. So I am particularly interested in your comments about training the sports together and keeping both fun. Many obedience trainers in my area are all about drilling and monotone precision. Fiona turns that kind of training into a circus because it bores her to tears otherwise.

My girl Tali is a natural obedience dog. She enjoys agility but she's still really green and can kinda be all over the place at times, so Tali and I have to move more slowly than I have with Fiona and spend more time regrouping and letting Tali collect her head in agility but she does well and, most importantly, we both have a lot of fun.

Anyway, I'd love to hear more about your experiences and training philosophy. (And I'll stop high-jacking your thread now. :))
You are NOT high jacking my thread!!! And SOOO often, obedience trainers focus on what the dog is doing, not what the dog is thinking. That is the key to training up and happy dogs. If I reward my dogs for being happy, they learn to rise to the occassion... If I correct my dog for being out of perfect heel position when they are giving me every ounce of effort, well how fast would my dog NOT enjoy obedience? So I focus on attitude, first and foremost, and focus on the dog's effort. When I do a lesson with someone that has a down dog, we do everything we can to get the dog to wag his tail and show a LITTLE excitement, then REWARD heavily. Soon the dog learns that this feeling he has gets rewarded. I know it is a little crazy sounding, and hard to get into in depth, but that is the key. I do correct, but if my dog says "no" to me. I never correct effort.

nice to see you on the seminar - i love how your dogs work and its so nice to see dobermans that have drive and personalities in the ring :) id love for all my dogs to work like yours!!!
Thank you and if I remember correctly you also have fantastic working dogs... :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Awesome! I have Dedo's doberman, too: Dedo's Bailey Duke. We are in a remote location, I soooo would love to try some agility with him. He really needs it. He really WANTS to work. :~)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome! I have Dedo's doberman, too: Dedo's Bailey Duke. We are in a remote location, I soooo would love to try some agility with him. He really needs it. He really WANTS to work. :~)
What part of Illinois? Maybe I know someone... And I have been busy, not on here too often, but enjoy talking with other Doberman people!!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome JoAnne. We sure can use you here! I found your website as well as your facebook page and will be watching for a seminar or training classes suitable for a rusty old gal (me) and a Doberdude with a "I'd rather be fishin'" attitude. LOL!

I am in SW Michigan, about 90 minutes from O'Hare. Oh -- and for anybody else interested; google JPS Dog Training and you will find what you are looking for. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven't been on here for a bit... Been busy... But I am still learning how to update photos, etc. and just got a pix of Fosta for my avatar. Maybe one day I will get some photos up...

And anyone that is on this forum that has any questions, as far as training that is. :p I will be asking for YOUR help with health issues, etc, as frequently I have questions and that is NOT my area!!! And I don't breed, so cannot answer ANY questions on that!! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts