Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am very glad to be here, and joining the dobie community. I am a 25 year old guy who loves dogs. I had an amazing best friend who was a pitbull and joy to have for 5 years. I ended up with some serious health problems in 2010, and while i was sick my dog got sick too. A family member informed me he died from cancer while i was in hospital for those months :(

Its now time to get a new companion. I am well now, energetic, but can't find myself going back to another pitbull... too sad. I think a doberman would be great for me though. I think I would be great for the right doberman. I've got a spacious house and really nice size back yard. I work from home too so i can be with the dog.

I would like to find a good breeder in the TX area, and am open to any suggestions. So far I have found Rhapsody breeders in Austin that im trying to see if they have any pups. Also there is a Debra in Beach city tx by freeport that sounds like she makes some amazing dogs with great training.
I am trying to be patient, but hope that i find a good breeder with some pups on the ground soon - i cant wait to find my new best friend! =)

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Hey there :) Patchwork has a Rhapsody done I'm fairly sure. I know she'll chime in not too long after me. He boy is one of my favorites.

Welcome from Virginia, good luck on your search!!
:wavey:

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
You're going to love dobermans :) Good luck on your search for the perfect breeder and perfect best friend! You will meet some good people with LOTS of info here

Reactions: Shortstack

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to DT!!!

Good luck with your research and search for just the right dog/pup!!

If you get the chance, please check out a few Rescue Doberman too!!

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Touchstone has a litter due soon. I have a puppy from Alisa, and I couldnt be happier with her. She is located in Magnolia.

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Welcome to DT, and kudos for doing your homework before purchasing your dog. You won't regret that. :)

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Welcome from the Katy area!

Reactions: Shortstack

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your pitty, and of yoru health problems. Good luck in your search for a dobe :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I have written Rhapsody and am trying to get in touch with touchstone. Will continue doing more research. Also these agility competitions look fun. Who knows i might even take up a new hobby

btw everyones dogs on here looks awesome. I am really jealous! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your pitty, and of yoru health problems. Good luck in your search for a dobe :)
Thanks. Your Dobie looks too cute with the floppy ears. I didn't cut my pitbulls ears either. Ive always wondered, is there is reason people clip the ears off other than for astetic purposes?

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Welcome from Houston :)! I have a Touchstone male and he has been an amazing companion and so goofy and sweet(but fiercely loyal!). Rhapsody has a great breeding program. Touchstone is just a little over an hour north of us though. It would also be a good idea to attend some local dog shows so you can see the dogs in person and see which looks you like.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
It's called cropping :) It's part of the Doberman Standard. However, natural ears can be beautiful too.

Ears normally cropped and carried erect
DPCA | The Doberman | Standard

Thanks. Your Dobie looks too cute with the floppy ears. I didn't cut my pitbulls ears either. Ive always wondered, is there is reason people clip the ears off other than for astetic purposes?

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Amelia lives in the UK, and cropping is illegal over there.

ETA: As you can see, her dog is also not docked. Quite a few countries have banned docking, along with cropping, and still others have put restrictions on who is allowed to perform the procedure.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I have written Rhapsody and am trying to get in touch with touchstone. Will continue doing more research. Also these agility competitions look fun. Who knows i might even take up a new hobby

btw everyones dogs on here looks awesome. I am really jealous! lol
You might try calling Irina (Rhapsody). She is much easier to get a hold of via phone. The same with Nikki at Merrimac. Alisa at Touchstone has responded very quickly to both my emails and phone calls.

Also, please note that you may have to wait awhile for a puppy to become available. Many reputable breeders have waiting lists for their pups.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Having dog experience and a former loving pitt, bring a dober baby home will indead be a treat...the puppy stage, is my favorite.
- because they are so smart, mouldable & loyal
- I know, the darn wait, is the hardest...nice your going for a good breeder
I did without a dobe once, for 14 years / I am retired now, so I can't wait again. (this man isn't getting any younger...lol)

You getting a boy or girl, color, name picked out yet ?? (just an exciting time for you)

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your pitty. Must have been pretty hard for you. Welcome to the forum! We all like seeing new members who are doing some research about finding the right Doberman. This can be key, as this is a breed that can have a lot of health issues. I am not near TX so I cannot really tell you who I would go too to get a pup, but the breeders mentioned for sure have some awesome dogs.

Best of luck in your search for a new pup :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts