Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not yet officially part of the family. Currently in the planning phase for a pup. For the last year I have been doing a lot of research trying to figure out what would be the best breed for me. Many things have happened in the last few years. I have two beautiful girls 3 and 1, however both their birthdays are coming up in the next two months. Another big thing that has changed in my life is my activity level and desire to get out more. I am a U.S. Army veteran, got out in 2012 and been pretty lazy since. This year I have signed up for multiple 5k's and obstacle course races. I am married with a 13 year anniversary coming up.
I'm looking to bring home a doberman this Fall of 2020. The reasons are many why I choose a doberman, their loyalty, focus, agility, looks, companionship, etc. This past weekend I went by Merrimac dog training club with my youngest to start getting her a feel for whats to come. Everyone was nice and it put a period, proved to me that a doberman is what i'm looking for. I will be a first time Doberman owner, however, will not be a first time dog owner. From birth I have always had a dog in the family. Beagle, chow, german shepherd, and the latest was a yorkie. That yorkie, he was something else, lol.
I am in the Hampton Roads area of VA, if anyone could provide me with reputable breeders, that would be great. Also, what would you say is a fair distance to travel, 6 hours?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,581 Posts
You know, I don't know your kids, but giving them one more year to grow may make a big difference. A 5 and a 3 year old, vs 4 and 2, is a big difference. But you can narrow it down to a breeder you want to go with, build a relationship with them and get on their waiting list.

Kudos to you for doing your research and prep work early, though.

Welcome to DT from Colorado.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Hi and Welcome. I agree with Mel, I'd give it a year as well.

Also, if you're looking for a dog to be active with you you might want to think about a breeder rehome that's over a year and closer to 2 years. You don't want to force run a puppy because they are growing and their growth plates haven't closed yet. They can't really be your running partner until they're 18mo. old at the earliest.

I don't really have a breeder referral as I'm not sure what's within 6 hrs. of VA but you can go to the DPCA website which has a lot of information you might enjoy reading. They also have a breeder referral and a chapter club list. You can try reaching out to the closest chapter club and see if they know of any breeders expecting litters in the area. At least you're doing your research. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
Athena (Husky), Kenai (Malamute/Husky mix), Dobie Puppy coming 2021
437 Posts
Another welcome from Colorado and from a fellow vet, though I was Navy, but am very familiar with the Hampton Roads area!

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Premium Member
9,816 Posts
Welcome from the west coast, Portland (the left hand one in Oregon) and because I've always been on the west coast I can only mention a few breeders but there are two in Virginia that I know enough about to recommend.

Neither of these breed frequently but since I think an extra year so your kidlets are 3 and 5 would be a pretty good idea too (and my knowledge of geography location from state to state is also pretty abysmal so here you go).

Jeseran This is Kathy Davieds DVM, she's in Bent Mountain, VA e-mail [email protected] She is a vet and definitely worth contacting,

San Rafael This is Wendy Kulp who is in Henrico, VA email [email protected]
I know Wendy from various Dobe lists and reputation.

Virginia also has two Chapter Clubs (CavalierDPC and Potomac Valley DPC of N VA) Check the DPCA website for club contact. Always worth checking with the Chapter clubs when looking for reliable breeders.

Good luck and good for you for starting the search early with some definite ideas about the kind of Doberman you would be interested in.

dobebug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts