Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
i love grimm
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my names brittney, im a very happy first time owner of a 12 week old dobe puppy named grimm! he has made a great addition to my family, im totally in love! i really want his ears cropped and he is just a pound or two away from where vet wants him to be for the surgery. i have seen 3 different styles. just needin some advice on which one to do, and whats easiest to care for?

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to DT! We would love to see pictures of your puppy.

It sounds like the vet that is going to be cropping your baby's ears, is not terribly experienced. 12 weeks is the latest you want to have them cropped. Most experienced cropping vets, crop between 7-9 weeks. I have not heard of a vet having a weight requirement.

I see you are in Indiana. I am in SW Michigan and the ONLY good cropping Vet in SW Michigan and all of Indiana is Dr. Kenneth Main, in Allegan, Michigan. Personally, if you are going to get a good crop and have a decent chance of getting the ears to stand, I would contact Dr. Main immediately!

Generally, there is the 'Military' crop, which IMO looks awful, but will stand fairly quickly. A Medium or sometimes called Pet Crop, which looks much nicer but takes longer to stand and a long show crop, my preference, but can take a bit longer to stand.

You can pretty much count on posting until after teething is complete, as teething often will cause ears to fall, even if they have been standing for awhile.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Hi! Make sure you get a nice cropping vet to do your boy.

Love the name Grimm!

Pictures, please!

Welcome from Virginia!
:wavey:

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
3 months old is too old to crop. I would be more worried about your dog's weight. I certainly hope he weights more than 11-12 pounds.

If cropping was important to you, perhaps next time purchase from a reputable breeder that handles the crop before pups go to their new homes.

i live in indiana and i called around and found a vet who crops ears, so i would start looking for a vet. my pup is 12 weeks old and he is just a pound or two away from having them cropped, my vet recomended 12 pounds before cropping.

·
i love grimm
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the opinions, as i have been with my vet for a long time....i TRUST his word, and my puppy is at a great weight , ill let the professinal opinion of my vet to help me make the decision of the style of croping! again thanks

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Welcome to DT.

At 12 weeks my female weighed 21.6 pounds. At 9 weeks she weighed 14.8 pounds. I'm concerned with the weight of your puppy.

12 weeks would be about the latest a reputable vet would crop a Doberman's ears. As the puppy ages, the cartilage in the ear will harden/get thicker and will make it harder for the pup's ears to stand. My male was cropped at an estimated 12 weeks (he was a rescue) and it definitely took him longer to heal. I taped his ears well into the 7th month and he has a medium crop. My female was cropped at 8 weeks and happens to have amazing cartilage and hers are standing pretty well at 17 weeks with a really, really long show crop.

My local cropping vet (who is a recommended vet on this forum) is notorious for not caring which style you want. She crops to what her experience tells her will fit the dog's head best. She certainly takes into consideration that show dogs need that longer crop, but she'd never give someone a pitbull crop just because that's what they wanted. Choose a cropping vet who has that experience...that speciality, if you will. Not just a general practice vet who sometimes crops.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
thanks for all the opinions, as i have been with my vet for a long time....i TRUST his word, and my puppy is at a great weight , ill let the professinal opinion of my vet to help me make the decision of the style of croping! again thanks
I wish you luck. I have seen what comes out of Indiana as far as crops, and I predict bat ears and difficulty getting them to stand, unless of course the vet does the military crop, as so many of them do.

Once again, if you want a nice crop at a way reasonable price (under $200) go see Ken Main, DVM in Allegan, MI. He did a Boxer for me years ago and my new puppy just a few weeks ago. Does cropping for most 'reputable' breeders in the area and many out of the area.

Oh and by the way..... nobody is trying to pick on you -- everybody has been trying to help you. You obviously got your puppy from a less than stellar breeder and his low weight is definitely a cause for concern. No need to be snarky.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
At 12 weeks my female weighed 21.6 pounds. At 9 weeks she weighed 14.8 pounds. I'm concerned with the weight of your puppy.
The last puppy I bought was Razzle, and she was 14 weeks when I brought her home. At that time she weighed 26-27 lbs.

Just reading the many new puppy threads in this section would make it clear to the OP that an almost 12 week old doberman puppy that isn't even 12 lbs. yet is exceedingly small, and far from the norm.

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
I know I'm still fairly new here, but I really don't understand asking for advice and then shutting down completely when you don't like what you hear. There's obviously something that doesn't seem right with the situation or why would you be even asking? :confused:

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
The last puppy I bought was Razzle, and she was 14 weeks when I brought her home. At that time she weighed 26-27 lbs.

Just reading the many new puppy threads in this section would make it clear to the OP that an almost 12 week old doberman puppy that isn't even 12 lbs. yet is exceedingly small, and far from the norm.
At 14 weeks Siri was an even 26 pounds. Since the OP posted that her pup was 12 weeks I was trying to give her a comparison of how much Siri weighed at the same age. I think Koa was quite a bit heavier at 12 weeks, but I'd have to check.

Sadly, I think you're spot on about the train wreck.

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Is it more painful for a pup when they get it done after 12 weeks?

My pup will have his done at 7 weeks, before he leavees the breeder, but I am just curious if it hurts the puppy more?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Is it more painful for a pup when they get it done after 12 weeks?

My pup will have his done at 7 weeks, before he leavees the breeder, but I am just curious if it hurts the puppy more?
I think there's more discomfort the older the puppy. There's a *big* difference in the thickness of the cartilege between an 8 week old puppy and one that's 12 weeks, and that changes a lot in terms of pain, healing time, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts