Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My names Nathan. I live in florida and dobermans are my favorite looking dog. I say looking because I've yet to own one. So I cant say its my favorite...YET. Im getting closer and closer to having a doberman. I mean, as of now, I might get a dog tomorrow or in a few months. Im a simple person. I dont care much for a pure breed expensive pup. Im not really too caring about where my dog really comes from, but I would never buy my dog from a store. I'd buy my dog from a breeder with no care if its from a person that just happened to breed his dog from his backyard because hes a middle class like I am. Anyway, I only care for papers and a clean background of the parents nothing more or less. I dont care for over priced pure euro breeds because they look better or train easier. I only want a dog to have as a friend and someone that can make me happy. I do suffer from depression from time to time and its nice to have a dog I've never had the honor of having. My screenname is because I like the look of a blue doberman. Im looking to have my first doberman as a blue one and a female. I do have a dog right now that lives in doors. A female miniture poodle :|

I would like some help/info on what I should really have.
So let me give the 411. My poodle, Princess(embarassing I know -_-), is infact the first dog my family has had in doors. The outcome of having your first dog in the house without proper training is the following: Food agression, agression toward children, agression toward anyone really if there is a good reason. Basically she thinks she's alpha in the family. Ironic I know...her name is Princess :/ Anyway, so my question is, if infact I do get a doberman, what gender, outside or inside, and how can I fix and train a new dog and my now dog to not be agressive and be at the bottom of the family. What Im worried about is if I get a dobe. Will it hurt or kill my other dog because of her stupidity.

(Please do not tell me I cant handle a doberman and to not get one at all.
Every dog can be trained and I have done my research on the breed and how to do what not. I've done homework on the breed and I do plan on getting one)

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and welcome to Doberman Talk Forums!!

Have you considered a rescue Doberman? Maybe one that is already used to other fiesty dogs!
Rescues are the BEST!!!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
First, welcome to DT!

Well.... if you have done your homework, then you are aware of the multitude of health problems Dobermans are known for, thus, wherever you purchase a puppy from; the parents should be health tested for vWD, Thyroid, Eyes, DCM, Hips, Elbows, etc. In your situation it might be best to consider rescue. A Doberman from a responsible, reputable breeder comes with a high price tag. They are an expensive dog to breed and raise, if one does so responsibly.

While you were doing your homework, you should have run across the information that Dobermans do not tolerate cold nor heat well. They just don't have enough protection from the elements. They are unequivocally, indoor dogs.

Okay, I won't tell you that you can't handle a Doberman. You tell me; If you can't manage a miniature Poodle, how are you going to manage a 60 to 90 pound Doberman?

A miniature Poodle without proper training, socialization and boundaries, becomes a member of the PITA ankle biter brigade. A Doberman without proper training, socialization and boundaries becomes a menace, that can seriously hurt somebody.

If your Doberman hurts or kills your Poodle, it won't be because of the Poodle's stupidity. Poodles aren't stupid, neither are Dobermans. Who then, is left, to bear the title of "stupid"? A dog of any breed that is food aggressive, aggressive with children, etc., etc. is generally a product of an owner that didn't responsibly train and socialize the dog.

The first thing you need to do is to deal with your Poodle. Enroll in obedience classes, work with a trainer and teach your Poodle that she is "not" the leader of the pack. If you learn how to train, socialize and thus have some control over your Poodle, you will then have much better success with a Doberman.

I hope that you will stick around and learn. There is a lot of good information here. Rather than be offended receive the information given with an open mind, and you will begin a true journey of education.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
dobe's are no outside dogs at all, they wanna be with their family 24/7. so you will have him inside. then you said ebery dog can be trained, you must have failed with you poodle, if she has problems like that :(
if i were you i would start with training the poodle first. go to obedience classes and get her socialized asap.because if she thinks she is alpha, you made something wrong.be fore she isn't trained, i wouldn't bring another dog in the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts