Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Courtney and I am new here. Surprise! I do not own a Doberman yet, but I have always wanted to and now my life situation has changed just enough to make it a reality.

I’m not a stranger to dogs and have always had one in my life. I grew up with a Poodle X Terrier and my mother is convinced that he is the reason I adore animals as much as I do. He passed away when I was 18 and my family managed to last exactly 6 months before we adopted a black Lab puppy from the SPCA. When I moved out, I couldn’t handle being without a dog, so I adopted a tiny Min Pin. Unfortunately, I discovered that I’m definitely not a fan of little dogs and I re-homed him to a woman my age who absolutely loves him. It was not a decision I made lightly and I took my time to find the perfect home for him. In the end, he picked his new home out… as soon as he met the woman, he hopped into her truck and was waiting to go home with her. He’s a pretty shy little guy and being so bold as to hop into a stranger’s vehicle was very unusual for him.

In February 2011, I adopted Sonya from Cancun, Mexico. I call her a “Mexican Special” because I don’t know what her breed is, but she closely resembles a Pitbull crossed with a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She has the body of a Whippet to further compound the mystery, and she is the kindest dog I’ve ever met. She rarely barks and the only time I’ve seen her display any aggression is when she feels her people are threatened. The most notable incidents were shortly after I brought her home. About two days after I adopted her, she was sleeping on my bed with me and my boyfriend came home unexpectedly. She wasn’t as familiar with him and when she saw him come into the bedroom, she immediately straddled me and growled just viciously enough that he was hesitant to come into the room. As soon as I woke up and told her to calm down, she did. The next day, a strange man lunged at me in the lobby of our condo building and Sonya immediately jumped in front of me. Her hackles went up and she would not relax until the man left her sight. Otherwise, she does not have a mean bone in her body. She is kind and gentle with all people she knows/trusts and will look to me for guidance if she is unsure. She has been known to army-crawl up to a child for attention and I have this theory that she knows how intimidating she can look to children, which is why she always approaches them so carefully. Her temperament is second to none.

I recently purchased a house and am very seriously debating adding a second dog into my life. I work in a place where I can bring my dogs to work with me and I devote my life to my animals. When I’m not working, they are with me. When I have to go out of town on the rare occasion, my mother watches my dog so she is never boarded at a place she doesn’t know. I’ve always wanted a Doberman and I have come across a few dogs in need of a home. Although I’m not opposed to purchasing from a breeder, I prefer adopting a dog in need. I also like to skip as much of the puppy stage as I possibly can.

I have found an 11 month old neutered Doberman dog and have called about him. In my experience, I’ve learned that opposite gender dogs mesh the best in a multi-dog household. Sonya is about 50 pounds and this Doberman is approximately 75 pounds. Sonya is great with other dogs, and I will be taking her to meet this Doberman if I choose to go ahead with his adoption. My primary concern is ensuring that both dogs get along well or at the very least, can associate without aggression. Sonya is also spayed, so that should eliminate any hormonal tension.

So… there’s my introduction and I hope to be able to show pictures of Sonya and my future Doberman soon!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and welcome to Doberman Talk!!!

Rescues are the BEST are they not. :)

Did the male you were interested in adopting work out?

I hope so!

Hugz to Sonya, she sounds like an awesome companion!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thank you for the welcome!

The male didn't work out - she didn't return my call and I found the ad had been removed. I checked about six Alberta-based rescues, both breed specific and otherwise, and none have any Dobermans available at the moment.

So, I called a few breeders and asked if they had any older dogs. One breeder has a few older females she is looking to place, and another has an 8 month old male pup. I'm just waiting on more information from both. I'm also driving up to Calgary this weekend (with Sonya) to check out two 6 month old male pups. My biggest concern is finding a dog that gets along with Sonya and vice versa, and as much as I'd prefer an older dog (somewhere between 1 and 2 years old), I might have better luck introducing a pup to Sonya. I'm bringing her to meet all the dogs and when all is said and done, she'll pick out her new playmate.

(No, I'm not a slave to my dog at all. Not even in the slighest. :p )

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Good luck!

another breeder placing older females, god I hate to hear that. I hope they will find a home that will appreciate them in their Senior years.

I hear ya about wanting to find a dog that will get along with your Girl. I have an older Pitty Girl and i needed to find a dog she would like too. Luckily I did. :)

Hugz to you and yours!

·
Banned
21 Posts
Welcome we are from Edmonton we live here too and think we adopted/rescued that 11 month old male dog you are talking about from his sire maybe we can get together sometime

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone. I have to admit, I'm getting pretty excited for the weekend so I can meet a couple potential dogs. If all goes well, maybe I'll be bringing a dog home on Saturday too! Fingers crossed.

I asked Sonya if she wanted to go for a car ride and pick up a new friend. I don't know if she was getting excited about the idea of a car ride, a new friend or both... but at least she didn't scowl and slink away to pout. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts