Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a new member from Denver and I am really looking forward to being a part of his forum. I do not currently own a Doberman but the time is right around the corner for it to happen. My wife and I have three kids, 4, 7, & 9 and we currently have one cat that was a rescue when some neighbors the next block over decided to move and leave the cat behind. Over the last several years we had 2 dogs and 2 other cats but by the time the new cat, Cali, moved in one of our cats and one of our dogs had died. Our cat Kona who passed away had a major liver issue that took her quickly to our surprise. Our dog Dewy passed from old age, he was 14 and was a Boarder Collie Akita mix that was my wife and mine's first dog that we adopted from the Dumb Friends League when he was 3. Our other dog, Marley was a mutt and we really weren't sure what he was but he was wonderful and a giant sweetheart. He passed about 6 months after Dewy and seeing as how those two had been together since Marley was a pup I can't help but think Dewy's passing had something to do with his decline. Our last cat before Cali just passed early in December and being 16 had a lot to do with it, we had her since she was about 1 so as you can see we have had a few pets and shared some great times with them. My kids loved playing with our dogs and everyone got along great but the last 2 years were pretty rough because we lost all of them and even though our cat now is very affectionate she is not too much into playing with kids.
I have always thought the most beautiful dogs were Dobermans and when I was younger, up to age 12 when we moved, our neighbors had the sweetest Dobie. Her name was Jojo and she was always friendly and playful with a neighborhood full of kids. The family that she lived with had block parties at their house ever year and Jo would always just mill about looking for some attention or maybe to play. I have been familiar with Dobie's for a while but in the last year really tried to learn as much as I can about the breed. My sister shows, grooms, breeds, and trains Borzoi and Whippets in Nebraska and has been quite a helpful source for at least pointing me in the right direction for information.
I have looked at different breeders here in Colorado as well as the Doberman Rescue, mostly for information but also as possible places to find our next friend. While I understand Dobies can have medical and genetic issues I am really leaning towards working with the rescue as we have adopted many other animals this way before. I am certainly not set in stone about this and have no problem waiting until I find the right dog for my family, I have no desire to rush right into this. I find Doberman's majestic in appearance, their loyalty inspiring, and their intelligence amazing, and I plan to continue learning about them and soon share with all of you pictures and stories of our new family member.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to Doberman Talk! Bless you for considering rescuing and I wish you luck in finding your perfect new family member :]

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Coloradoan!

I hope you go the rescue route, but if you decide that a puppy from a reputable breeder would fit into your family best, I would recommend Imagemaker. I know one of their boys and he is a gorgeous red male with a fabulous temperament!

The Plum Creek Dog show is coming up so you might consider stopping by to see the Dobermans and talk to breeders/owners. Also, the rescue I volunteer for (not Doberman) will have a booth there with some foster dogs, so you might try contacting Colorado Doberman rescue and see if they will have one there as well.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,256 Posts
Hi......from just a little further south in Colorado Springs!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!!!

awesome that you are considering a rescue........they are the BEST!

Hugz to you and yours!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Hi from Castle Rock! Doberman Rescue of Colorado is a fantastic organization and I often do transports for them when I can.

Here is their website and if you decide to talk with them, you'll want to speak with the founder, Chuck Vaile. Please let him know that I sent you (Heather G. from Castle Rock)

Doberman Rescue of Colorado

Welcome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts