Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from Chicago and help with ear crop!!!

Hi my name is Omar and I have a 14 Week old female doberman, we live in Chicago. We got her when she was 9 weeks with natural ears still. I decided to crop her ears and after doing some research in here and some other sites, we decided to take her with Dr. Johnson. He is well known for cropping ears she was 11 weeks at that time. Everything went good. She had the cup on for the whole time, she was on cephalaxin for 10 days. A day before I was to take her back for stitches removal I took the cup off. I gave her a bath and everything seem fine I left her ears alone. Last Thursday she had her first posting and was done by Dr. Schifo, I was expecting Dr. Johnson to do it. Anyway we took her home and on Friday night I saw she had and ear wax slime inside one of her ears it look that way to me. So I cleaned with water, next day I check her and it was worse and was starting to smell. Took her to the vet and Dr. Johnson cleaned her ears and decided to just tape her ears and not do postings. She was put on more antibiotics, vet said she had a bad reaction to the tape because she also had some bumps on hears and top of her head. So on Monday I see that she still having a reaction and I had to take the tape off. I have been washing her ears and putting neosporin everyday now. Seems a lot beter. I have an appointment tomorrow but I have thinking of just going to another vet to see what other options I have. He is great vet and did a very good job with crop. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
You want to clean them alcohol as it evaporates and will not leave moisture in the ear to go foul and cause problems. You must keep them posted if you want them to stand.

You can post them without putting anything down into the ear canal. I have used a zip tie as the post. Double wrap it in tape then back tape in and clean the ear with alcohol to remove skin oils. The tape around the ear with a strong tape like the Kendall waterpruf tape to hold the base firm. I like to use a cloth tape like Johnson sport tape to go up and over the ear to keep the reall sticky tape off the hair of the ear. Then I wrap the tape starting very low on the ear around the base and up a couple inches to give extra support at the base. I lightly put one strip aroun the top of the post to hold the eaer secure but not tight there at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the problem is with the outside of both the ears. I cleaned her with dog shampoo and warm water and use hydrogen peroxide. Then let her ears fully dry and use some neosporin. She is much better and my concern is that I'm worried of another infection. Don't want more tape around her ears.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and welcome to Doberman Talk!

I hope all is going well with the ears.

Hugz to Pantera!

·
Registered
884 Posts
My puppy had a reaction to the tape too. When I used Zonas tape, no reaction. Maybe you can find out what kind of tape the clinic is using and ask if you can bring in some of your own Zonas tape.

Dr. Schifo posted Maiya's ears for months and did a very nice job but Maiya did not have any adverse reactions to the tape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts