Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Charly and I have an 11 month old Black and Rust Male named DUKE. My Fiance and I got him when he was about 3 months old. We had him in the house for a few months for him and our 2 year old daughter to get used to one another. But now he's outside, protecting the home front here in Louisiana! And he is definitely a "Momma's Boy" :)

Here's a picture of DUKE.

·
Super Moderator
22,560 Posts
Do you mean he lives outside all the time? Dobermans are bred to be personal protection dogs, which means they really want to be with their people all the time.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,423 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from PA. Not sure if you meant he lives outside all the time or is just outside when the picture was taken. Agree with Meadowcat, Dobermans are not outside dogs. They need and want to be with their people. There is a wealth of information on this forum on Dobermans. Duke is a handsome boy. We love pictures.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

As others have stated Dobermanns are inside dogs; they need to be with their people. Being outside for fresh air and sunshine for a limited time is good, but they need 95% of the time with their people.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma sure hope your boy does not get stolen AKC had a message out a little while back Dog thefts are on the rise due to the economy.Good Luck with your pup Doberman s are not mature until about 3 years old make sure no kids will tease him while you are gone might turn him against all kids..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh no, he's very secure. I don't work. So he's with me and my little girl A LOT. Thanks for the concern and information though! It's greatly appreciated! :biggrin55

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Oh no, he's very secure. I don't work. So he's with me and my little girl A LOT. Thanks for the concern and information though! It's greatly appreciated! :biggrin55
Welcome to Doberman Talk - this is a great place to learn about the breed.

So if you don't work then you are home..... I'm confused because you said he is outside during the day.

I know that a lot of people in your part of the country (no slam on the south...I'm originally from Florida) believe that dogs belong outside, but Dobermans belong inside 98% of the time. This breed has a very short single coat and does not do well in any extremes of temperature - that includes heat as well as cold. They are also so velcro that to leave them outside when you are inside is IMHO a form of cruelty with this breed. So I hope you will reconsider where he lives - he needs to be with you.... inside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to Doberman Talk - this is a great place to learn about the breed.

So if you don't work then you are home..... I'm confused because you said he is outside during the day.

I know that a lot of people in your part of the country (no slam on the south...I'm originally from Florida) believe that dogs belong outside, but Dobermans belong inside 98% of the time. This breed has a very short single coat and does not do well in any extremes of temperature - that includes heat as well as cold. They are also so velcro that to leave them outside when you are inside is IMHO a form of cruelty with this breed. So I hope you will reconsider where he lives - he needs to be with you.... inside.

I'm not a hermit. I do leave my house through out the day. I'm in the middle of planning my wedding so I'm running around town with lots of things to do.

And I understand everyone's concerns, but if my dog doesn't want to come inside, I'm not going to make him. We have a screen door in our house with a doggy door in it so he can come and go as he pleases when we're home. But he won't. We've had that screen door since we got him in Feb. 2011, and he's used it maybe 10 times.

MY Doberman actually enjoys being outdoors roaming around our 7 acres of property, being able to run when ever he pleases, instead of being stuck inside.

My family and I are outside A LOT. My daughter loves to be outside and my fiance is constantly outside, in the shop running his own business, fishing, riding four wheelers, etc. So I suppose my Dobe has just become used to us being outside a lot and he likes it better than being outside.

He sleeps inside with us about 4-5 days of the week. But sometimes he doesn't even want to do that. I'll try to get him inside and he just runs. I'm not going to make him come inside if he wants to stay outside. Maybe he feels he can protect the home better by being outside.

I appreciate everyone's concerns, I really do. But I feel that a dog who is taller than my 3 year old, and weighs more than I do, shouldn't be stuck in a house all the time. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but again, I'm not MAKING him stay inside, if he wants to be outside. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts