Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have just joined this forum. We adopted a puppy from the local animal shelter last week, and we have fallen in love with her. The information from the shelter was that she was four months old and was a bassett hound mix. A few days after we got her, my husband was surfing the net and found a picture of a young Dobberman that looks identical to my puppy. She definately doesn't have a Bassett's long ears. What I think we got was a two month old Dobbie. I have to admit when I came to that realization, I cried - big time. I had fallen in love, but never ever wanted a Dobberman. First of all, I wanted a medium size puppy. Second was my concern with visitors and small children. I have no fear of her for us, especially since she is growing up with us. We live on a rural property, so she will have a good place to run. Her name is Penny.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Welcome to DT. Cute pup, I agree that it's not Dobie. However, you missed out on your perfect dog it sounds like....Dobermans are a medium sized breed and they are wonderful and loyal with children....just ask the parents on DT. There are also many Dobermans on this forum that are service and therapy dogs and are in public often. It would have been a dream to grow up with a Dobe as a kid.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT. Cute pup, I agree that it's not Dobie. However, you missed out on your perfect dog it sounds like....Dobermans are a medium sized breed and they are wonderful and loyal with children....just ask the parents on DT. There are also many Dobermans on this forum that are service and therapy dogs and are in public often. It would have been a dream to grow up with a Dobe as a kid.
Bold mine - yep!

My boy is pretty aloof with people other than me, my boyfriend, and my parents - couldn't care less about people and doesn't really yearn to be petted. That being said, he is SOOOOO good with kids. He lets them pet him and hug him and just do basically whatever.

Anyways, welcome to DT from a fellow Texan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

We just got back from the vet. We went there for a new puppy check up. They agree that she isn't a Dobbie, and said her markings are also similar to other breeds. They put her down as a mixed breed. They said her age was three months, not four, based on her teeth. She weighed in at 10lbs. There was a Dobbie that lived next door to me 10 years ago, and he was a very good dog - never ever aggressive. I guess I sterotyped Dobbies. I appreciate everyone's comments. Even though I don't have a Dobbie, I'd like to stay on the forum to learn.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
You're more than welcome to stick around but if you're going to do so you'll need to update us with pictures from time to time :D

·
sweep the leg
1,016 Posts
Whatever she is she sure is a cutie! I believe your vet can do a blood test to determine what her breed make up may be, if you're really curious.

And good on you for rescuing her - she'll love you forever for it. Please stick around this forum, what you'll learn here is priceless and beneficial for any/all dog owners. Plus, you never know...maybe a rescued Dobebrother is in her future? ;)

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Welcome to DT. :) I agree that your pup is definitely not at all a doberman - she's a cutie, though! I could see some hound in her, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!

Bless you for choosing to adopt.

hope you stick around.

Hugz to Penny the non-dobe. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts