Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A belated greeting from Baton Rouge!

We have a sweet and beautiful 12-year old spayed female black Doberman named Addy.

She is from championship lines on both sides and was bred locally by a kennel which is now apparently defunct. By about age 9 months, for some reason, her owners and ring handlers didn't think she'd achieve championship status, and let us have her as a pet. We have been extremely pleased.

Addy's not the first dog I've ever had, but she is the first dog I've ever bought. And the first Doberman. All I can say is "wow". Always heard they were smart, but never that they were sweet.

Anyhow, though Addy's been pretty healthy up to now, given the breed's average lifespan, Addy probably doesn't have a lot longer to be around. So we're beginning to look around for another one, if possible, as much like her in looks and personality as possible.

Attached (I HOPE!) is a photo of her, taken only a few weeks ago. That gray hair on her muzzle is a fairly new thing, appearing only within the last year or so. Other than a few fatty lumps, one of which grew so fast and big we chose to have it removed, and some teen-aged "acne" and Demadex (fairly extensive Demadex) mange, Addy has had such a lustrous, healthy coat that is often so shiny, people ask us if we've treated with some kind of oil. Even in her later years, she's a traffic-stopper. Children who pet her have called her "the velvet dog". And she absolutely adores children, and is super-tolerant of them.

So here's to Addy, to all the wonderful Dobes on this forum, and to their human family members who love and appreciate them as much as we do ours! :nicejob:

Miriam and Rex Davey
Baton Rouge Louisiana

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome from MIssouri and how awesome to hear about your 12 year old girl. Wishing you many more happy wonderful years. Glad you joined the group.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,450 Posts
Your picture still hasn't made it on-line, but I'm waiting eagerly for its final appearance.

I grew up in Baton Rouge back in the 60's and I still have a couple of siblings floating around Louisiana, though I haven't been down there for a while. So I have a couple of things in common with you--Louisiana and dobermans. Welcome to DT from Colorado!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Baton Rouuuuuuge!!! Spent 5 decent enough years (that I can recall) there in the shadow of Tiger Stadium. Welcome from NOLA!

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Baton Rouuuuuuge!!! Spent 5 decent enough years (that I can recall) there in the shadow of Tiger Stadium. Welcome from NOLA!
My birth town. Didn't spend a lot of time there. Doing family geneolog research, I have a lot of peeps buried around there. My father died there. Both parents are LSU alum. Mother still a Tiger fan.

Did a few years in NOLA as a young child. Remember mardi gras and beads and stripping the beads at grandma's house into the dogs water bowl. Remember going to market for live crawfish and getting scared as they tried to crawl out the bag in the car. A lot of family still there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the warm greetings!

The picture posted to a comment I made on the "Breeding and Breeders" part of this site, but not to this one. It's too big, evidently.

And I'd use it as my signature/profile, but haven't figured that out either.

So, those who REALLY want to see my pretty girl, go over to that part of the forum & look for my question about finding a breeder in Louisiana.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts