Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My name is Molly and I am the proud owner of a red doberman named King. He will be 4 years old in February of 2012! I found this site searching for the "breeder" that I originally got King from. I grew up with a doberman my parents got when I was 2 years old and have been in love with the breed ever since. When I got King, I now know I was naive in my research apparently for an reputable breeder. I am seeking help and advice on what I should do regarding an incident that happened with King this past Christmas weekend. So any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated, but I at least thought I should introduce myself before I begin my story ha!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome from Alabama, glad you are here to learn and get advice! This site does have a lot to offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the welcome :)
Ok now for my issue with King. I got King back in back in 2007 from Ernie and Lisa Harraden. Some of you I saw were familiar with those breeders. I got King as a pet, he has been neutered since he was 1 1/2. Once King got into adulthood I guess is when he started being very dog aggressive. He grew up around a german shepherd and a chihuahua (both female dogs). He would be aggressive towards the german shepherd at times to where he would attack her and cause injury to the both of them. Well trying to make this short, I no longer have the german shepherd but since me and my fiance are about to move into a new house together King will have to be around my fiance's 2 male dogs (a lab and a mix breed). My fiance has been staying at my house this weekend so the dogs have been around each other. They've met each other several other times over the past 2 years. King has gone after both dogs in the past. It is never over food or treats or anything like that because I do not feed them together nor give them bones or such around each other. Anyways... this behavior in King has always upset me because to me it is very unpredictable, I do not know his triggers. Well this past Christmas weekend I had to take a trip to the ER due to King going after one of my fiance's male dogs and biting my thigh in the process of trying to get to this other dog. I was left with a 1/2 inch puncture wound to my leg and bad bruising. This incident scared the hell out of me I will admit. King is such a great dog when he's not around other dogs, never in a million years would he purposefully go after me I truly believe that. Anyways I just have to get this behavior under control and wanting to know the best way to go about handling this type of aggression. I have an appointment tomorrow with a local dog training facility around my area for an aggression consultation with King. I'm hoping it goes well and they can offer me a plan of action. I love my dog and am not willing to give up on him, I just needed some encouragement hopefully because i'm getting a lot of negativity in deciding to keep King around after he accidently bit me.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Male/male aggression is very real and can be very serious. I would separate the dogs at all times. They should never be alone together. I wouldn't even put them in the same room together, even if you are around.

Many stories of sex same aggression. It's important to note that this is not something you 'train out' of a Doberman. It's their genetic hardwire.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/10315-male-male-aggression.html

Thank you all for the welcome :)
Ok now for my issue with King. I got King back in back in 2007 from Ernie and Lisa Harraden. Some of you I saw were familiar with those breeders. I got King as a pet, he has been neutered since he was 1 1/2. Once King got into adulthood I guess is when he started being very dog aggressive. He grew up around a german shepherd and a chihuahua (both female dogs). He would be aggressive towards the german shepherd at times to where he would attack her and cause injury to the both of them. Well trying to make this short, I no longer have the german shepherd but since me and my fiance are about to move into a new house together King will have to be around my fiance's 2 male dogs (a lab and a mix breed). My fiance has been staying at my house this weekend so the dogs have been around each other. They've met each other several other times over the past 2 years. King has gone after both dogs in the past. It is never over food or treats or anything like that because I do not feed them together nor give them bones or such around each other. Anyways... this behavior in King has always upset me because to me it is very unpredictable, I do not know his triggers. Well this past Christmas weekend I had to take a trip to the ER due to King going after one of my fiance's male dogs and biting my thigh in the process of trying to get to this other dog. I was left with a 1/2 inch puncture wound to my leg and bad bruising. This incident scared the hell out of me I will admit. King is such a great dog when he's not around other dogs, never in a million years would he purposefully go after me I truly believe that. Anyways I just have to get this behavior under control and wanting to know the best way to go about handling this type of aggression. I have an appointment tomorrow with a local dog training facility around my area for an aggression consultation with King. I'm hoping it goes well and they can offer me a plan of action. I love my dog and am not willing to give up on him, I just needed some encouragement hopefully because i'm getting a lot of negativity in deciding to keep King around after he accidently bit me.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Doubtful you will be able to have other males living in the same home unless they are kept apart. Very typical for a male Dobe.

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
I am sorry for what happened to you however male to male aggession is very typical for this breed. I hope things work out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts