Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Doberman
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Figured i would make an account since i have been reading so many helpful forums.

I have a 6 month old male named Jace

We rescued Jace from a group of kids that decided to breed for rent money. Poor thing was taken away from the mother at 3 weeks old and went straight to cheap adult dog food. We got him at 5 weeks and he was less then 5 pounds.

Very scary at first as we were not sure if he would make it, but from the time i set eyes on him i knew we couldnt not rescue him. I immediately started him on Puppy Gold and my favorite gluten free food (call of the wild) after a few weeks he shot up to 18 pounds.

Here we are and he is an amazingly smart, responsive, and gorgeous pup.

Tell you what. Nothing makes me happier then to come home from work to have him wagging his nub and smile at me so excitedly.

Attachments

·
Doberman
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ultimate plan of action is i would like him to become a Therapy dog
Iv looked up local training / tests but any personal advice would be appreciated.

Just any advice is always helpful.

Some things Im working on is:

Pulling (he only doesn't pull with his lead on, but as soon as its off he pulls.)

Barking. - from what iv read this is a typical issue, but i dont want him to bark at absolutely everything. Not that he does unless its people invading his home, but with him getting older he is starting to bark at other dogs in public places more and more. I just would like for him to stop after being instructed.

Stay - this is something we are working on, but he just wants to go where ever you are or just gets very excited and loses focus.

Completed:

Potty trained at 9 weeks. (i like to brag to friends about this accomplishment ha ha)
Shake (give paw)
Sit
Lay down
Crate trained, also goes into his crate on command

Any clubs or other owners here in Indy would also be nice to know.

·
Maximus Odin Aurelius
549 Posts
Welcome to DT from Florida. He's beautiful! Good luck with him and it's wonderful that you rescued him from his bad situation.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
He really is a handsome little fellow. What a lucky boy to be out of that house and into your home.

To answer your questions.

ultimate plan of action is i would like him to become a Therapy dog
Iv looked up local training / tests but any personal advice would be appreciated.

Just any advice is always helpful. -- As far as Therapy work, it is really very basic obedience, very basic puppy behavior. But, they really do have to have the heart for it and they do or they don't. Even if they pass the test, they may not be the best therapy dog. Look for positive training. It should be fun for puppy. It'll come to him while he is bonding with you and learning at the same time.

Some things Im working on is:

Pulling (he only doesn't pull with his lead on, but as soon as its off he pulls.)--This will have to be worked on, but you have pleanty of time. I know it sounds simple, but it's not as simple as it sounds, don't allow it. I know, not exactly Jordan's specialty, or mine. When he starts to pull and take control, move in the other direction or simply stop. Eventually he'll get the point that he is to follow you, not the other way around. If you stop, he'll turn to look at you like, um, I'm walking you here. Put him into a heal and start over again. Of course it may take a half hour to go 5 feet this way, or you may make the same about face 20 times, but slow and steady will get you there.

Barking. - from what iv read this is a typical issue, but i dont want him to bark at absolutely everything. Not that he does unless its people invading his home, but with him getting older he is starting to bark at other dogs in public places more and more. I just would like for him to stop after being instructed.--With this I like to use a look at that command. Clicker training is great for all of these, but super great for training look at that. The idea is to have them look at the dog and then look to you for praises and treats. Tell them to look at that, click and as soon as they hear the click they will direct attention to you (if they have already learned what the click means). Like everything else, you will eventually phase out the treats, but continue with praise. Eventually, other dogs will be looked at and then attention brought back to you. It is also important to let them know that not every dog they meet on the street is play friend. There is a time for play and a time to work. With Jordan this is easy. When he is at work he is at work and there is no play with other dogs there, when it is play time, it is play time and off he goes. They do learn to behave in different environments, i.e. training, hospital, play group.

Stay - this is something we are working on, but he just wants to go where ever you are or just gets very excited and loses focus. --He is still young. Take small steps, like the walking. Start off with just a foot in front of him. Start off by his side in a sit/heal, hold the left hand down and give the stay command. Never start off stay with his name, just stay. Don't keep looking at him because eventually you're going to go further with this. After the hand down, stay command, pivot in front of him using your right foot. Just a few seconds and give a release, "okay" or whatever. You can also ask him to stay while you pivot back to his side and then release him. I like to train with both. Don't give him time to fail. Gradually build up the time after the pivot and then start taking 2 steps before turning toward him, then 4, then 10, etc. etc. When you get to the point where you are taking more and more steps -- VERY IMPORTANT and where I see most failure. When you give the stay command, walk away! Do NOT tell him to stay and then keep looking back to him to see if he is staying. If you do this slowly, you just know he is staying. They lose focus and you confuse them. You are in a sense expecting him to fail, therefore you both fail. Eventually you'll do a stay and walk around him, walk around the yard, walk to a different room, walk out of the house, etc. etc. Stay means stay even when I'm not looking.

Also, work on leave it. I do this one with just holding my hand over an object, commanding leave it, then treating with another object. Eventually I teach "okay" meaning, they may now retreive that object. This will be tested in both CGC and TDI.

Also, socialize. 10 new people a day for 10 days. Very hard to do. A lot harder than you would think, but so effective. If they are a social dog this will be a walk in the park. My doberman loved this, my boxer, not so much but she is definitely not TDI material. Ask men to wear hats, talk in deep voices, watch for her comfort level and try to gradually increase it. Eventually you will be able to have people lean over her, pet her hard, stumble in front of her, talk loud and obnoxious, slam doors in her face, hug her, etc. and she will be close to bomb proof; however, it is always your responsibility as the human half of the TDI team to make sure your dog is safe and comfortable at all times. During the test they are really lenient on this and do not act nearly how some nursing home residents may act. Jordan could care less if he is hugged on, but some dogs may not appreciate the close, personal contact with a stranger. It's up to you to know your dog and his level of comfort and tolerance.
Completed:

Potty trained at 9 weeks. (i like to brag to friends about this accomplishment ha ha)
Shake (give paw)
Sit-Work on sit/stay
Lay down--work on down/stay
Crate trained, also goes into his crate on command

Any clubs or other owners here in Indy would also be nice to know.
Can't help with local clubs but you are well on your way. Training is FUN!! Almost every aspect of training young can be made into a game. Come is fun when they learn to follow, and gradually increase the distance of the follow. Have a party with each success. Make following your commands the greatest thing on earth. Make a fool out of yourself so you are more tempting than that other dog, or that bone, or anything else that may grab his attention. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
8,439 Posts
Thank you for taking him into your heart. I could not have said it better than hbwright. Roxy is a Therapy Dog and is registered with Therapy Dog Inc. being relaxed in all situations. I recommend getting into a good puppy class as soon as he completes his shots. This will help you and him together. Good luck and welcome

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
He is a very handsom boy. Being that he was taken away from his mother and other litter mates at 3 weeks old, is he very well socialized with other dogs?

·
Doberman
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow hbwright Thank you so so much.

You definitely called me out on the stay part as Im normally facing him.
I will use those tips and let you know how its going.

He is an extremely social dog. Since I got him he has encountered several people and my whole family (wrongly 15 other people on a regular basis, every 1-2weeks, and 30 people total that he encounters at least one a month.) Meets all the kids in the neighborhood as it is impossible to walk him without 4-8 kids wanting to pet or love on him (hugs) and he loves it. Never seems scared or backs away from childen and definitely looks at me as they approch and i tell him its ok, pet his neck and he walks to them wagging his nub. Thats not even something iv trained him to do and im impressed how he acts like that.

Also with dogs he sees an older doby mix, shepperd, and lab about 3-4 days a week, for about 8 hrs (while im at work)

I think he will be a good candidate as a therapy dog.He just seems loving in general and have had only 1 issue with meeting people he didnt like and that guy is just a jack ass so im sure Jace could sense that.

I work as a IT guy for a company that managers retirement homes. So it would be nice to have him on occasions for when facilities have functions or i need to make a run to one.

He is very young still so only time will tell. I know i just need to be very diligent as a owner and continue to make sure he gets the best of everything, including me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts