Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hello. Glad to be a new member of this great site.

Secondly, I wish I had done more research and found this a month ago...

My family is new to dobermans and dogs in general, although I had several growing up. After catching up on some good reading here, I have come to the realization (or horror actually) that I purchased a puppy from what you would call a "puppy mill". Ignorant, and trying to be careful with this breed in particular, led me to buy an over-priced puppy from a large "professional" looking source.

I am just wondering what to do now. We are already very attached to our Mercedes (and the only comfort after realizing our mistake has been that we may have spared her from a less-than-ideal situation). Are there any tests that we should get her? Any preventative measures other than giving her a loving home and everything a healthy puppy needs? Any way to check the validity and quality of our puppy's pedigree? Or just cross our fingers and hope the odds are in our favor...

We have no plans to show or compete her, just make her a member of the family.

Thanks you, and please hold the scolding - I feel bad enough already.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only that they "guarantee" against this - which I am assuming now is not worth much.

How can I know for sure? We have not had any tests done on her yet, her first vet visit is next week.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ya what Sam said ! You got her, now just love her and give her the best care possible. I would be nosey and check out the pedigree database and just glance back if possible on the parents bloodlines

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
The vWD test is something you can do. Many vets use the ELISA test but the accuracy is questionable. You can order the home test for $65 here: VetNostic Laboratories - Veterinary Genetic Testing - von Willebrand ? vWD Testing for Dogs

As far as their guarantee...most people won't return their dog if an issue develops so IMO it's really not worth anything.

Here's a great thead to help in the future and/or pass along: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/47441-reputable-breeders-new-folks.html

Only that they "guarantee" against this - which I am assuming now is not worth much.

How can I know for sure? We have not had any tests done on her yet, her first vet visit is next week.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT.

There isn't much you can do now though I would start holtering (heart test) when she's two. It's good that at least now you've done your research and learned - perhaps you can help steer other people towards good breeders instead of BYBs and puppy mills.

Love your adorable puppy, all puppies deserved to be loved!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We wouldn't think of "trading her in" - that sounded crazy to me when they mentioned their policy. I just passed it off as a snobby breeder/show dog thing that was standard protection for purchasing a purebred.

This is a family dog for us, so she is stuck with us for life.

Thanks for the help and advice - I'll look into getting her tested for vWD right away.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Be sure to check out the Educational Archives. Lots of great stuff in there, including all things puppy: DT Educational Archive - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums

We wouldn't think of "trading her in" - that sounded crazy to me when they mentioned their policy. I just passed it off as a snobby breeder/show dog thing that was standard protection for purchasing a purebred.

This is a family dog for us, so she is stuck with us for life.

Thanks for the help and advice - I'll look into getting her tested for vWD right away.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
At this point, don't worry where she came from. Just be the home she deserves. She is really no likely to have health issues than most other Dobes. This is a breed with a lot of health issues.

Do a baseline Thyroid panel at age 2

Do a baseline Cardiac ultrasound and EKG at age 2 to 3

Do a baseline blood workup at the same age.

For now, love her and do the training. I hope you did not take her as a breeding bitch - if so think about paying the full price on her and spaying her.... don't perpetuate the problem of puppy mills.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Welcome to the forum! At least you will learn from your mistakes for the future. She is lucky to have such a caring owner.

Would love to see more pics!

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,322 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from another Pennsylvanian. Like others have said, just love and care for her the best you can and learn and educate others about the breed. You will find a wealth of knowledge here and people who love this breed.

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Welcome to DT. :) Everyone else has it covered on the advice front, but just stick around and ask questions as they arise. I've found that when a DT member is willing to be accountable for/learn from their mistakes, loves their dog, and doesn't ask questions solely to validate what they're going to do anyway, DT is tremendously helpful. My pup was chewing strangely, of all things, and folks brainstormed with me for two or three pages on what could be going on. It's a wonderful community, glad you're part of it!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Mercedes is in a loving home...time to keep having fun and enjoy your boy.

If I could give you 2 puppy tips:
- use a frisbee or tennis ball and teach FETCH/COME
- get a kiddy pool and have puppy enjoy water at a young age...and put a yellow toy ducky in it
My first dobe liked neither of the above, current dobe loves engaging in fetch big time...but I never started the early water training, with either.
Next puppy #3 with like both hopefully, if i can assist it...anything to build eye and listening focus, bonding with mental stimulation...and fun.
(baby photos...hint...most welcomed)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts