Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing all the breed characteristics and specs through the web I fell upon the ideal height for a Doberman and saw that 26in. to the withers is the the minimum. My dog is 25in. Is he under average? Well hope to see many responses and leave this concern behind.

·
Registered
361 Posts
From AKC Website: Dogs 26 to 28 inches, ideal about 27½ inches; Bitches 24 to 26 inches, ideal about 25½ inches. The height, measured vertically from the ground to the highest point of the withers, equalling the length measured horizontally from the forechest to the rear projection of the upper thigh. Length of head, neck and legs in proportion to length and depth of body.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It sounds as though he's a little on the shorter leg side... but keep in mind that he still has time to grow a little. They usually finish growing around 18 months - 2 years.... so there is still time yet. :)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
He might be on the shorter side, but overall I'd look at proportions also.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It sounds as though he's a little on the shorter leg side... but keep in mind that he still has time to grow a little. They usually finish growing around 18 months - 2 years.... so there is still time yet. :)
I thought the growth plates closed around 12 months.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
I remember hearing years ago, possibly in an article from Jackie Perry (Thailand) that dobes do not grow as tall in the tropics. I can't imagine why that would be.

Anyone else heard of this before?

Before you get all upset about a 25" male dobe, my youngest is fully grown and stands just over 23" at the withers. He is 26" long, so if he had attained his full height, it would have been 26" - but he didn't. I love him very much regardless. He is my performance dog in training. His low center of gravity has its advantages ;)

Reactions: yosh

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I remember hearing years ago, possibly in an article from Jackie Perry (Thailand) that dobes do not grow as tall in the tropics. I can't imagine why that would be.

I've heard it before, but don't know if it's actually true. What I read (and I think it was in one of Joanna Walker's books, but don't hold me to that) is that the intensely humid climate results in dogs not getting an adequate amount of nutritional value from their food.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts

Before you get all upset about a 25" male dobe, my youngest is fully grown and stands just over 23" at the withers. He is 26" long, so if he had attained his full height, it would have been 26" - but he didn't. I love him very much regardless. He is my performance dog in training. His low center of gravity has its advantages ;)

I LOVE your stumpy legged boy!!! I have been in love with him since I saw the puppy pics that Tosca posted! I just adore him.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Some people think that 26inches is the right hieght but in some cases it is not. Alotes of people wont agree with me when i say if you have a warlock then your dog will be bigger, about 30inches, maybe. And will be big in weight also , my male is 115 And his height is 29 or 30 inches tall. they height varys with every doberman, just like personality, its never the same as the next.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Really??? After all the threads about this... we're still going to throw the "Warlock" thing around again... or start it up again??

Excerpt: The "Warlock" Dobermans are also known as "Kings" or "Goliaths" and are not really a true Doberman breed.
Their existence stems from a surge in demand for "big bad Dobes" back in the 1970's. It is widely believed that Dobes were bred with Great Danes and some other large breeds to satisfy the demand.
Today the term Warlock is applied to the poorly bred and oversized dog which does not conform to the breed's standards.

Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_warlock_Doberman

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I thought the growth plates closed around 12 months.
copied from Hubpages.... just one example of information:

"Generally, most dogs reach their full size potential when they are around 12 to 18 months. Small breeds tend to mature much faster than large and giant dog breeds. Generally, toy and small breeds of dogs are considered adult between nine to 12 months of age, while larger breeds may take a bit longer and generally reach adulthood when they are closer to 18-24 months. At this point most dogs will have already reached sexual maturity and their growth plates have closed."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts