Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Im new to the Dobe breed, and Im trying to learn as much as I can before my pup is born next yr. I was wondering if there is some sort of height and weight guide out there I can print off so I know that he/she is growing correctly. Ive already instructed my vet to start "reading up" on Dobes!
Hes a great vet so I totally trust him! But I can go in and weigh anytime I want, so this guide would be just for my own use at home. Any suggestions?
Jen:help_up_2

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I don't know any guide for their weight based on their height...but you can tell a Doberman that is a good weight when you see it. Since their hair is so short and close to their bodies it is easy to see one overweight...
In my own words...
I always have always listened to the advice that I got that you should always be able to see a hint of their ribs. You can tell in their waist too when they start getting too heavy...They should have a nice elegant curve to their body. If they are too heavy I think they start looking blocky.
I dont know if that helps...maybe someone can find a guide like the one you are talking about.

Just check out the photo gallery and everyone else has beautiful proportioned dobes that you can look at for an example. Or the post on the pictures of those beautiful dobes in their stance for showing in the "Guidelines to stack" post. :)
Speaking of growing properly...there was a 4 month old dobe at the dog park the other day...and it looked soooooo awkward! lol just cause it was sooo tall...and its butt bones were sticking out a lot. I dont remember duchess looking that awkward when she was a puppy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I know if you go to the DPCA.org...scroll down to the public ed committee link, click it and then click the doberman link on the left hand side, it will tell you the ideal height and weight for males and females. Most people do not know this info is on the site, it is, you just have to look for it to find it. Good luck!!

·
Banned
675 Posts
I went to that page of the DPCA site. What it says isi not the "ideal" height and weight, it is the usual weight range. The breed standard doesn't say anything about weight, only height. The ideal height for a male is 27 1/2". The weight of such a dog can vary based on the dog's age and build. For example, my puppy who is 9 months is 27 1/2" at the withers, and wighs 69.6 pounds. He may or may not get any taller, I don't know, but he will almost certainly gain weight as he matures.

There is no guide as to how tall a Doberman puppy should be at specific ages, nor how much it should weigh. There is an average, I suppose, if you weighed and measured "all" the Doberman puppies you would know the average, but it still wouldn't tell you what your particular puppy would grow up to be, nor if yours was "normal". It would be like trying to do the same thing with children. There are height and weight charts for children, I think, but they contain a range and are only intended for guides, not hard and fast rules.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ok well MY BAD, but to me approximate,would be IDEAL, simply because that is what the dpca has as to roughly the weight should be at full growth along with the height. I was not meaning anything about as far as them young and still growing or elderly...but if they say they are approx. such and such then they should fall pretty close to that. Like they have the males weight between like aprox 75 and 90lbs, which is put with the aprox 27.5 inches height...ok so to me, or how i would take it from the info they give....is if your male is grown and only weights 65lbs...he is on the small side. And if at full growth they weight 100lbs...alittle on the bigger side. Now i posted that cause as i stated before...i had someone try to tell me cause my dog weights 80lbs that he was a warlock and my dog should not weigh no more than about 68lbs...well by the WEBSITE he fits into where he should be.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
sorry I should have mentioned that duchess in the pics above is about 64 pounds...I don't know how tall she is ...

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
My puppy has gained about 10 pounds per month since I got him. He turned 5 months old today and he weighs a little over 50lbs. I am thinking that it will start to taper off though around 7 months or so. All of the puppies that we train with are older than Rommel and they started slowing down right at about 7 months.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
LOL, now I know it is going to be a good day :) I got on Dobertalk, and got to see lovely pics of Dutchess! She looks amazing LD!

·
Registered
357 Posts
yeah. my jack is gaining like 10 lbs a month also.. hes about 35 lbs now! getting so big.. hubbys like he sure doesnt show it.. he like larger dogs but i think jack looks great.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Thanks guys! I woke her up from the sleeping that she would do 24/7 if we let her... to measure her height...she is...about 26 inches to the shoulder-64 pounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts