Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I first began using treat lures while in correct heeling position (to get a more exaggerated and energetic gait), I incorrectly 'dished out' the treats via my right hand. I honestly did not even think about this, as it just came natural to use my right hand and twist more.

My trainer obviously corrected me into using the left hand method imitating the 'natural' swinging of the arms, however, I can not for the life of me slowly dispense treats out of my left hand. I can do one at a time, I can do jackpots, but when I try to keep more than one and dispense them in sequence, Zeus ends up chomping hard on my fingers because I'm basically sticking them out there. I can't figure out how to hold it. He knows to use a 'soft mouth', and with the right hand he is perfectly fine jumping up and down all day long while dispensing treats without taking any of my finger tips off. With the left hand he is confused, as am I.

If I hold my left hand up towards my body while heeling he will watch me now, but when I go to reward him for the watch and position, I either mess the pattern up completely, get my fingers bit, drop the treats, or have to come to a stop, reward, return, etc. I've started to try and pass the treats to my left hand one at a time, but this is again messing up the tempo and with all the hand fidgeting/treat passing, really tests Zeus's focus.

I write with my right hand predominantly, unless it gets tired. I played guitar as a right-y but everything sports and gymnastics related was dominant left. With the guitar I had problems with mainly my left pinky, which is currently the finger that is constantly getting nipped at/in the way.

Does anyone have tips for how to correctly 'dispense' the treats through your left hand while heeling? I currently am supposed to be rewarding 'hugely' for focus while heeling, but my rewarding is being tarnished by my apparent inability to use my left hand :roflmao: Again, it was perfectly fine with the right hand, but obviously causes his head to turn inwards rather than up and towards me, but transitioning to left hand is becoming a huge road block for me.

Thanks!

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I've watched both of those a few times before, but honestly never thought to try the hand position/system of the first video. Sometimes it just takes someone else to repeat what you've already been taught for it to actually sink in....... Goodness!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I have neck issues so have to feed with my right, BUT We don't compete. If we did, I'd lose a lot of points for forging :) Flirt is a shark. The best way to feed her while moving is like a horse.

Reactions: Asmit

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have neck issues so have to feed with my right, BUT We don't compete. If we did, I'd lose a lot of points for forging :) Flirt is a shark. The best way to feed her while moving is like a horse.
haha! Zeus is a shark as well... With his past of being starved etc, he always tries to shark bite and retreat as quickly as possible. (he was stuck outdoors as a scavenger as a pup) so it has taken me a TON of work to atleast get the retreat out of the question, and he knows 'gentle', but with freshly baked liver pieces, he seems to forget all manners.

I too try the horse method but even that with my left hand he'll end up snapping at my pinky. Oh well, guess he won't object to me 'practicing' treat feeding :p

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
When we were learning heel, I would place the treat between my 1st and 2nd finger, almost with a flat hand, allowing enough of the treat exposed for easy taking. A few times Sam mistook my fingers as part of his treat *ouch*.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts