Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before any panic ensues, I'm not talking about Chi :)

I have a friend who adopted a Pug mix (looks like a Puggle to me) about 6 weeks ago. Now I have issues with the way this adoption has gone down. She thought she was just taking the dog from people who could no longer keep it and then was contacted a few weeks later from an organization saying they needed her to fill out adoption paper work and come and do a home check (make sense to you?). As far as she knew the dog was spayed and current on her shots but then found out that although spayed nobody knew where she stood on vaccines. So this past tuesday Princess went to the vet and I made sure to call and remind my friend to have a HW check done and get her on preventative (she's new to the dog world). Sadly the check came back positive :-( She goes in tomorrow for more tests to see how bad they are and I think for her first treatment. She was told that Princess would have to be crated for 8 weeks. How "crated" does she have to be? Is it OK to take her for short, calm walks? Can she chill on the sofa as long as she doesn't get excited? This is a pretty mellow dog... What kind of side effects to the drugs can she expect? I ask you because I'm not sure she has the sense to ask these questions herself... Any suggestions, ideas or experience y'all have had with this is greatly appreciated....
I feel awful about this because a couple weeks ago she called and told me that Princess had been coughing and throwing up... I know these are tell-tale signs and completely spaced it... Told her I wasn't sure, could be just about anything and to get her in to the vet... Maybe if I had made the connection she would have gotten her in sooner...

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know they tell you to keep them calm so the crating may just be a precaution becauise a lot of people can't keep their dogs quiet. My beagle got them while living with my dad and she came through just fine,although a lot fatter! I hope her dog does ok!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yeah they have to keep colm so massive amounts of dead heartworms don't pass into their blood stream all at one time and in doing so, kill them. But Joce is right, them telling her to crate may just be a precaution or just a way of explaining the importance of staying calm.

That's too bad that it wasn't clearer how things were working. I'm a little surprised that if it was through a legitimate rescue that she wasn't already at least checked for the heartworm. How old is the dog?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess is that she's 18-24 months. She's gotten several different stories about where this dog came from. The latest is that she was rescued from a local no kill shelter that was closing due to lack of funds but that the dog had lived there pretty much her whole life. Now I ask you... Do you know of a single person who is dog savvy much less a rescue that would adopt out a dog that had lived its entire life in a questionable "shelter" without a complete health check?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
This whole situation souds horrible, not just for the dog, but the new owner as well.

I am sorry I can't offer any advice I don't know anything about heart worms. Except that they are evil things that hurt our dogs if not taken care of.

I wish your friend a lot of luck in the road ahead.

·
Registered
460 Posts
She was told that Princess would have to be crated for 8 weeks. How "crated" does she have to be? Is it OK to take her for short, calm walks? Can she chill on the sofa as long as she doesn't get excited? This is a pretty mellow dog...
The clinic where I work typically recommends keeping the dog inactive for 4-6 weeks. This doesn't necessarily mean keeping the dog in a crate the whole time but if it's an active young dog, keeping them in a crate is strongy urged. Your friend really needs to ask her vet about whether or not it would be safe for short walks. If they're doing a work up on the dog(bloodwork, x-rays, ect.) before treatment, the vet can get a better picture of how severe the infestation is and how it's affected her health and can answer these questions accordingly.

I hope it all goes well for Princess. Keep us updated!

BTW, what's a puggle?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dobe_Paws said:
BTW, what's a puggle?
Haven't you heard? They're the newest, greatest "designer" dogs. It's not enough to create a bunch of oodle mixes now we need a bunch of other mixes to add to the rest being sold in pet shops for insane prices... Can you believe I ran across a Doberdoodle website not too long ago? What are people thinking?

·
Registered
460 Posts
TracyJo said:
Haven't you heard? They're the newest, greatest "designer" dogs. It's not enough to create a bunch of oodle mixes now we need a bunch of other mixes to add to the rest being sold in pet shops for insane prices... Can you believe I ran across a Doberdoodle website not too long ago? What are people thinking?
That's what I thought it was. I think if I hear of one more charmingly named mixed breed, my head is going to explode.

I came across a Doodleman Pinscher 'breeder'. I don't know if it's the same one as you saw but they were asking 1200 dollars a pup. As if Dobermans don't have enough problems, these idiots have to come along to bring them into the spotlight again only as designer dogs. :mad1:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dobe_Paws said:
That's what I thought it was. I think if I hear of one more charmingly named mixed breed, my head is going to explode.

I came across a Doodleman Pinscher 'breeder'. I don't know if it's the same one as you saw but they were asking 1200 dollars a pup. As if Dobermans don't have enough problems, these idiots have to come along to bring them into the spotlight again only as designer dogs. :mad1:
Yup that's the same one... I love the excuse of combining the two breeds to enhance both or whatever... Poodles and Dobes are both great dogs on their own, harldy a need to combine them... :*******: 's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts