Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear if they are getting close to bringing the heartworm shot back out again after they recalled it? That was so easy.... Just thought of it because today is HW meds day for all my kids.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My vet didn't seem to think it would be anytime soon. I really likec the shot too. I don't know how true it is but I heard it works better than the pill. Our beagle mix was on the pills and still got heartworms and thats why we switched in the first place. This is when my dad had her though so I can't be positive he was right on time with the pill seven thoguh he swears he was. His vet told him it happens with the pill sbut hes never seen it with the shot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Even when it was on the market, my vet wouldn't give it. Said it hadn't been proven enough. Even if it did come back out, I wouldn't even think of using it. Let's face it, you're giving a six month dose of that stuff - the same that they use for curing a heart worm positive dog. If they should have a reaction to it, there is no way that you can reverse what's been given. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I haven't heard any word of it comming back and honestly if it never does, I'd never miss it. I feel our dog's immune systems are already over taxed as it is with vaccines, pesticides, chemicals in their enviroment, ect. that they don't need another injection of chemicals and additives. But that's just my feeling. ;)

As a side note, in Australia they have a heartworm injection that's supposed to last for 12 months. I'm pretty sure it's still on the market.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Actually in the past they treated heartworm with arsenic, which clearly was dangerous, but effective in destroying heartworm. Now from what i hear, (when I was a tech, they only had arsenic) they use Immiticide now which is much safer.

It takes 6 months for the microfilaria to reach maturity so treating at 6 month intervals wipes them out before they reach worm stage at which point they need to be eliminated with treatment. And they are getting an Ivermectin dosage monthly with the heartworm pills. So if they are on heartworm preventative, they are receiving a wormer incecticide into their system weather it be monthly with a pill or bi annually with an injection. Also in light wanting it to be perfectly safe before it is avaliable again, I have seen many dogs still contract heartworm while on the pills. Not that the pills are not working, just that there are many different factors that can affect the effectiveness of them, the dog could vomit after taking the pill, even an hour later.... or the owner just plains forgets. Now we surely all watch our dogs for signs of losing the medication, but many people that use preventative have outside or semi outside dogs, may never know..... With that in mind, can you believe I forgot to give these guys their pills, and I was just talking about it like 4 hours ago! Thank goodness my head is attatched!!

I understand that they recalled the shot, and obviously I want it to be perfectly safe to all dogs, so I definetley want it to be safe before it is avaliable again. Just like the simplicity to it twice a year ya know.

On the money side of it, if your dog contracts heartworm on the pill, you pay for the treatment, if he somehow contracts heartworm on the shot, the company pays the treatment.

That's fine how you feel about it, I'm not trying to convince you, just wanted a few of these facts out there for educational purposes. Each to his own I say!!!!!!!!!! But that really surprises me that they offer a yearly shot....... The medication be it pill or shot is retroactive, I guess if it is a powerfull enough insecticide, that would however worry me because then that is the same thing as basically treating them for heartworm rather then preventing by killing microfilaria...because in that time the worms have reached maturity and without a doubt already caused damage and reproduced quite a bit. Ouch....

Hey I have an idea, lets just kill all mosquitos!! :dancing_b I HATE THEM!! They jump to me the minute I walk outside in the evening!! They never bite my pet hubby, I told him I must just be "sweeter" than him..... :haha:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes, you're absolutely right. The heartworm treatment of today is much safer and easier on the dogs than the treatment of the past. Regardless, I hate giving heartworm preventative because it's all a form of pesticides no matter how you look(I feel so anyway) but I'd take the pill over the injection any day. I know a lot of people in the vet industry who were suprised at how popular the injection became so quick. I don't think any of us were that surprised when it was recall.

There just seemed to be an overwhelming amount of adverse reactions to it. While I never saw one at the clinic that was serious, the stories I came across were terrible. I worried even with dogs that seem to accept it well, because just like vaccines it contains adjuvents which contain numorous chemicals.

Or just killing all the mosquitos sounds like a better idea. *sighs* But I have to admit even they have their purpose in this world.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've always wondered about that, what purpose do they actually serve???? Other then total irratation and spread of disease.. I mean bees (ekkkkkkk) pollonate, Flies (yuk) breakdown waste (ultimetely)..... Mosquitoes, I think they are just around to tick us off...... I guess everything has it's purpose in the world even disease....

It's a shame there is so much out there ready to ravage our beloved kids ya know....

I don't know, I'm gonna get my flyswatter out tonight and get started on total annalialation.....(sp?)
Just kidding, I don't go out when they come out, because I complain too much when I get bit!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rather than just giving a heartworm shot or pills because your Vet. says so I'd check with the board of health and possibly some vet. clinics to see if heartworm is really a problem in your area. Do you really want a chemical that kills parasites over a period of a month or even six months in your dogs? What do you think those chemicals are doing to their internal organs??

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yup it's a prevalent problem here... Ivermectine has been proven to be safe for our animals, where as heartworms and rounds and hooks are not. (I mention rounds and hooks because heartguard plus contains a pyrantel pamoate in addition which wipes them out.) I think it's mostly a matter of how you feel about the insectacides, reagardless. :)

It's still a personal choice, and I agree there are some areas where definetely it isn't a problem, and if so chosen, people could just test on a regular (annually or whatever they recommend in those cases) basis. Then though, if on an off chance the animal does contract heartworm, Only takes one mosquito that fed from the wrong dog, the treatment is more risky than preventative. Due to the fact mass number of heartworm die and can become lodged, which can result in death.... That's the reason for keeping the animal quiet as possible all during the treatment time. I'd rather administer a pill once a month (or a shot!! When it is totally proven safe) and bypass all of the latter mentioned.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Lexus said:
But that really surprises me that they offer a yearly shot....... The medication be it pill or shot is retroactive, I guess if it is a powerfull enough insecticide, that would however worry me because then that is the same thing as basically treating them for heartworm rather then preventing by killing microfilaria...because in that time the worms have reached maturity and without a doubt already caused damage and reproduced quite a bit. Ouch....

I assume we are talking about ProHeart here?

My parent's dog recieved it for two full years before it was taken off the market and he never had a problem with it. It was great for them because with their hectic lives and forgetful minds they never could remember to do a monthly preventative.

However, when ProHeart was recalled, it was only recalled in this country and afaik, it is still being used in other places around the world.

It was marketed as a 6-month preventative here because the company found that more people here wanted to do preventative only during the warmer months. In Australia, it was marketed as a 12-month preventative because they found that more people wanted to keep their animals on year-long preventative.

ProHeart is not simply just a huge dose of insecticide... It is formulated in micro time-release capsules so that it breaks down and continually releases the medicine over a period of time. This can be both a good and a bad thing -- It's good because even by recieving just one injection, the medication is released into the dog's body over a period of time (the reps said that it actually led to a more constant level of medicine in the dog's body than the monthly) and the dog is protected from heartworm. It can be bad when the dog has a severe reaction to the medication itself (not just the vehicle).

Going back to the original question, I have no idea if/when the product will ever come back on the market. This is the first time I've discussed it in about a year so I'm not even sure that my facts are still accurate! There is a lot of work that still needs to be done by Fort Dodge in sorting out all the data. Many of the claimed reactions to ProHeart occured when it was given in conjunction with other medications/vaccines. Thus, in this type of case it is very hard to tell which injection is responsible for the reaction. Some reported reactions also occured when it was given against labeled use.

http://www.proheart6.com/Pdfs/VMACNewsRelease.pdf

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
whiteandblue said:
i agree all these things are problems with our pets intestines... because chemicals only tear us down..
errr - heartworms, aptly named, live in the blood. they never enter the intestines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts