Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Frisbee Killer
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out what is the best non-topical heartworm and flea control to use on Lars? I don't like topical products because they seem to cause a skin allergy problem with him. What pill form preventive's are being used with good results? I like that there is a new product called Trifexis, it controls heartworms, roundworm, hookworm, whipworms and fleas all in one monthly pill. Does anyone use or no someone that has used Trifexis? I've read the reviews on 1800PetMeds website but still would like more info on it or other products that DT users have used with success. In Oklahoma its smart to use as many prevents as possible because of all the bugs, flies, fleas, ticks etc... Any help would be appreciated, Thanks :confused:

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have been trying to figure out what is the best non-topical heartworm and flea control to use on Lars? I don't like topical products because they seem to cause a skin allergy problem with him. What pill form preventive's are being used with good results? I like that there is a new product called Trifexis, it controls heartworms, roundworm, hookworm, whipworms and fleas all in one monthly pill. Does anyone use or no someone that has used Trifexis? I've read the reviews on 1800PetMeds website but still would like more info on it or other products that DT users have used with success. In Oklahoma its smart to use as many prevents as possible because of all the bugs, flies, fleas, ticks etc... Any help would be appreciated, Thanks :confused:
I also experienced skin problems (bumps) with topicals. I used Comfortis for fleas and Preventic collars for ticks. This combination seems to work well for my dog.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My Amy has never had any pills or medication for Heartworm & Flea Control and never used a flea collar.
A decade ago, we gave her some minced garlic, a few times/week (on kibble)...I heard it makes the blood a tad biter and flea's don't like it.
- I am just scared that added pills, could weaken my girls immune system
- she hasn't had worms either, and in her 12th year now
I would sooner invest the pill money in tins of sardines...He-He.

Also heard, if the dog is on a real heathy diet, their skin organ (biggest at 25%) will not be as good of breeding ground, for attracting flea's.
My dog doesn't go to dog parks, to pick up flea's.
And since we have some freezing temp. in Canada, and we are not in the South...some insects get wipped out in the winter time...just a thought.

Anyone else use or like the garlic idea, for a natural flea-control remedy ??

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
My Amy has never had any pills or medication for Heartworm & Flea Control and never used a flea collar.
A decade ago, we gave her some minced garlic, a few times/week (on kibble)...I heard it makes the blood a tad biter and flea's don't like it.

Also heard, if the dog is on a real heathy diet, their skin organ (biggest at 25%) will not be as good of breeding ground, for attracting flea's.
And since we have some freezing temp. in Canada, and we are not in the South...some insects get wipped out in the winter time...just a thought.

I hate giving my dogs meds. I would prefer not to but as you stated I live in the south and not doing heartworm just isnt in their best interest. As for the fleas tho I will say that the terriers I still have to put frontline plus on them. They itch so bad from flea bites and allergies. Now what I want to add from what you have said. I only once put frontline on Kyrah when she first came home. She was covered in fleas. Since then I havent put anything on her and I have found maybe two fleas and she is 2 1/2yrs old. I take her everywhere that I can including dog parks. She is on a raw food diet and I seriously believe that somehow someway they dont seem to like her very much. :) So I am going to say raw food more than garlic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use Trifexis on both my dogs. My dobie is 9 months and my bluetick is 12 years olds. My vet has owned dobermans and it is what she recommends. I really like only having to give one pill a month. If ticks are a problem then you will have to add something for them though.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I use Interceptor for heartworm. but give it every 45 days, not every 30 and only during the seasons that mosquitos are active. Follow the maps here for your area
Citadel Tibetan Mastiffs Heartworm Timing

I do not medicate for fleas. I only use natural remedies
FLEA FREA
Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits
Buck Mountain Botanicals Flea and Tick Repellent|Organic Parasite Dust
an all natural flea shampoo just in case. Dr Bronners Peppermint Soap kills fleas great

·
Registered
726 Posts
I use Interceptor for heartworm. but give it every 45 days, not every 30 and only during the seasons that mosquitos are active. Follow the maps here for your area
Citadel Tibetan Mastiffs Heartworm Timing

I do not medicate for fleas. I only use natural remedies
FLEA FREA
Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits
Buck Mountain Botanicals Flea and Tick Repellent|Organic Parasite Dust
an all natural flea shampoo just in case. Dr Bronners Peppermint Soap kills fleas great
I use Interceptor for heartworm too. I use also use natural remedies for fleas- I use a spray that is made up of Cedarwood and Neem. They got fleas once from my parents cat (we were visiting) and they cleared up with the spray. Didn't infest the house or anything.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts

12? Sounds like you are doing something right! :D

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've also read you can add Cinnamon to their food as a flea control. Cinnamon is a natural sulphur and fleas/ticks hate sulphur

1 - 13 of 13 Posts