Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beau and I were out this evening working on remaining calm when dogs are around. We were doing some long line training (prepping for our first day of advanced obedience which is tomorrow). He did really well but did break a few times when dogs would come in sight. I was a bit frustrated but there were no meltdown episodes like before, so a win.

Anway, I was packed up and heading home and saw a mother/daughter duo walking towards us so I moved off the sidewalk. I heard a clicking and looked over to see the girl clicking at Beau. I asked if she wanted to say hello and her mother nodded, so over we went. Beau was his usual sweet self and sat perfectly for cuddles and even leaned into the girl, who was between 15 and 20 I’d guess. She was autistic I believe as she exhibited some of the signs with which I am familiar.

When they went to leave, her mother had tears in her eyes and thanked me. I didn’t know why until the girl told me this was the first real dog she has ever petted. I asked “really?”, and the mother replied “yes, she has only ever had stuffed toys and this is the first dog she has met”. By then, I had tears in my eyes.

My boy did me proud this evening. ❤ He is always super gentle with the older folks who live in my building but to see him be so gentle and calm with this girl was really lovely.

Here he is while we were working on down-stay with distraction. You can see how hard he is trying by his eyes in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots.
Plant Dog Tree Grass Carnivore

Plant Dog Carnivore Grass Dog breed

Plant Dog Tree Carnivore Grass

Dog Plant Carnivore Tree Grass

·
Super Moderator
22,591 Posts
Awww, yay! What a lovely story.

·
Big Lil pup
7,019 Posts
What a wonderful experience. Thank you for sharing it. It sounds like Beau may end up in the same role that I feel McCoy often fills... As a "Spokesperson for the Doberman breed". To those unfamiliar with Dobermans, one positive interaction is worth a hundred negative anecdotes.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a wonderful experience. Thank you for sharing it. It sounds like Beau may end up in the same role that I feel McCoy often fills... As a "Spokesperson for the Doberman breed". To those unfamiliar with Dobermans, one positive interaction is worth a hundred negative anecdotes.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
If he can cool his jets when he sees another dog that he cannot get to to say hello, we may just get there! 😁

·
Registered
I now have a 15 yr old Yorkie, yes I know a big difference from a Dobie.
38 Posts
Good for u and Beau those are the deeds that makes us ALL feel better. GR8 looking boy and appreciate the stay ur working on definitely difficult my almost 5 month old Raven is only at the stay still way too many distractions for her so I appreciate ur efforts more.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
5,136 Posts
What a great story! Sounds like Beau has a career as a therapy dog in his future! (y)

Pet Partner's therapy dogs have to be strange dog tolerant, for evaluation and on subsequent group visits.
However most of our visits with our Spock and Eva were by themselves at schools with kids, with occasional group visits at colleges, which were optional.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What a great story! Sounds like Beau a career as a therapy dog in his future! (y)

Pet Partner's therapy dogs have to be strange dog tolerant, for evaluation and on subsequent group visits.
However most of our visits with our Spock and Eva were by themselves at schools with kids, with occasional group visits at colleges, which were optional.
I would love to have Beau certified! He loves strange dogs and wants to greet all of them. When he can’t, he makes a lot of noise. It has improved greatly so my hope is that he grows out of it as we continue to train.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Beau and I were out this evening working on remaining calm when dogs are around. We were doing some long line training (prepping for our first day of advanced obedience which is tomorrow). He did really well but did break a few times when dogs would come in sight. I was a bit frustrated but there were no meltdown episodes like before, so a win.

Anway, I was packed up and heading home and saw a mother/daughter duo walking towards us so I moved off the sidewalk. I heard a clicking and looked over to see the girl clicking at Beau. I asked if she wanted to say hello and her mother nodded, so over we went. Beau was his usual sweet self and sat perfectly for cuddles and even leaned into the girl, who was between 15 and 20 I’d guess. She was autistic I believe as she exhibited some of the signs with which I am familiar.

When they went to leave, her mother had tears in her eyes and thanked me. I didn’t know why until the girl told me this was the first real dog she has ever petted. I asked “really?”, and the mother replied “yes, she has only ever had stuffed toys and this is the first dog she has met”. By then, I had tears in my eyes.

My boy did me proud this evening. ❤ He is always super gentle with the older folks who live in my building but to see him be so gentle and calm with this girl was really lovely.

Here he is while we were working on down-stay with distraction. You can see how hard he is trying by his eyes in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots.
View attachment 141122

View attachment 141123

View attachment 141125

View attachment 141126
Thank you for sharing your story. Have you considered doing therapy work with him? He sounds like he would be a wonderful therapy dog; the good ones know how to respond appropriately to the person they are visiting. It sounds like he is already exhibiting this behavior. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for sharing your story. Have you considered doing therapy work with him? He sounds like he would be a wonderful therapy dog; the good ones know how to respond appropriately to the person they are visiting. It sounds like he is already exhibiting this behavior. Good luck!
Yes, if he grows out of his overly enthusiastic reaction to other dogs, therapy certification is absolutely the plan.

I wanted to start his Rally career this fall but may wait. We start advanced obedience today and, in class, he is mellow and relaxed around even the troublemaking dogs. On the street it is a different story.

I did therapy with my first Boxer and loved it, so maybe Beau and I will be able to do the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts