Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. Loki just got over a bout of roundworms. I wormed him and then we went for a checkup at the vet. The vet tested for heartworm and that was negative. Loki was then put on Heartguard. That was three weeks ago. Well, the roundworms are back. I asked the vet whether I should reworm him and he said no. He said the heartguard would take care of it. Now, I know that is what the box says...but I am unsure. Anybody have and thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
It's Heartguard Plus right? It's clear up the roundworms, but rounds come from fleas, so you may want to look into your flea control to prevent the roundworms entirely. Otherwise your dog can keep contracting them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Now, I know that is what the box says...but I am unsure. Anybody have and thoughts or suggestions.
You could always contact the manufacturer to see what they recommend. They may be able to give you a more indepth answer than what's printed on the box.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I believe thats wrong. Roundworms come from the soil. Tapeworms come from fleas. Either way, Loki is also kept on Frontline Plus to prevent and treat fleas.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Opps yeah you're right! Let me just have a minute to pull my foot out of my mouth! Tapes are from fleas. My bad....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem. I have been obsessed the last few days and have done my worm research...yuk. Anyway, I am really hoping this heartguard kills them. It is so disgusting. Loki keeps reinfesting himself...I think because he can't keep grass, dirt, and sticks out of his mouth.

·
Banned
6 Posts
actually roundworms arent from fleas... tape worms are... round worms are a completely different parasite and there are many ways they get them... has he/she been eating feces his/hers or someone elses?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts