Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post and I need some advice. I have a healthy Doberman female that will turn 8 this June. We have never bread her but after much consideration we want her to experience being a mother at least once. (And you know, she's still a virgin.....) But we worry we have waited too long. I have read some people suggest stop breeding at 6 or 7 bit I wondered if the fact she has never had a litter would make it safer or more dangerous.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,577 Posts
My advice to you is don't do it for lots of reasons. She doesn't need to experience being a mother at all. Just spay her and love her for the rest of her life. That is what she deserves and all she needs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pregnancies do put a lot of stress on the body, especially at this age. In addition, there are a lot of people here involved in rescue who see firsthand the effects of dogs being bred unprofessionally. A lot of research, care, money, and knowledge goes into breeding. Things to consider are health, longevity, conformation, temperament - not only of the individual dogs being bred but of their whole pedigree. Good breeders keep tabs of everything and know what dogs complement each other. Your dog may be great, but who is to say that she will produce outstanding puppies when paired with another dog? Do you know all there is to know about her lines? We do not want to produce dogs who will die young, get chronic illnesses or have difficult temperaments - these are the dogs that end up abandoned and in rescues. I hope you understand that this does not mean you don't have a great dog - but most people just don't have the qualifications to breed ethically and responsibly.

·
Extraordimary
4,943 Posts
Responsible breeders generally belong to the national breed club (the Doberman Pinscher Club of America, Doberman Pinscher Club of Canada), and sign and agree to a Code of Ethics that stipulates no breeding of the females past the age of 7. That is for their own good. I'm sure you love your girl. The ship has sailed on breeding her.

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
Even if you hadn't sign an agreement to not breed your bitch at 7 or later the very fact that she has never been bred makes it a bad idea. Young bitches are much more able to get pregnant easily, carry the litter and raise it successfully. At this age it would be very hard on her...and she definately doesn't need to "experience motherhood".

I really agree with Coco Loco--spay her, love her and enjoy her for the rest of her life.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
8,584 Posts
I'm with MaryandDobes - Even if she was the best thing since sliced bread (not breed), it would not be ethical to breed at bitch for the first time at age 7. Spay her and love her.

·
Alpha schmalpha
4,065 Posts
I would agree with what the other posters are saying about breeding . It would be a risk.

There is a piece of your doberman in mine and vise versa.

If you are thinking of breeding to have something that is a carry on from your girl you will find her in any Doberman from a quality breeder.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
That would be like a 70 year old woman getting pregnant. Are you willing to take the risk of losing her, that can very easily happen during pregnancy if things don't go right, and they often don't.

If you love her, contact her breeder and get a puppy from their lines. That is the temperament and looks you want. Breeding to an unknown stud will result in unknown temperament and looks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts