Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on having my boy neutered at 18 months and wanted to find out what health testing I should do on him. I believe that he should be holtered at 2 but what else should I be doing and at what age? If he is being put under for the neutering is there anything else that could be done at the same time? He will not be bred obviously but I do compete with him and do performance sports.

· Premium Member
15,209 Posts
Even though you couldn't get anything except an OFA preliminary evaluations on hips at 18 months since he's not intended for breeding that's something you could do while he was under anesthesia--do elbows too. For the $30 it costs to sent it in to OFA it'll give you advance information if there is any potential hip or elbow problem.

You can gene test for vWD any time and it's uninvasive. You can do a CERF to check eyes for possible problems--dog shows are often the least expensive place to do a CERF. Check local show premium lists to see what clubs might be offering CERF's and what the price is. It's usually between $25 to $35 at most of the clubs around here (Pacific Northwest).

I do a full thyroid panel on all of my dogs at about 2 years--that way I've got a base line on values--since Dobes are a breed in which hypothyroidsim is dead common I usually do a recheck (just a T4) yearly after that.

I do Holters and echo's on my dogs starting at 2 years (again so that I have a baseline) look for the best prices through Doberman chapter clubs offering health clinics. The Mt Hood DPC offers two a year and offers the use of a Holter to members for VERY reasonable prices.

I'd also do the genetic test for one of the gene's implicated in cardio in Doberman's that Dr Meurs (then at WSU and now in ummm North Carolina?) developed. I think that Vet Gen offers that test too now. This test, while it is probably more useful for future studies on Doberman cardiopathy is valuable for researchers I think and inexpensive enough that I test all my dogs--that can be done at any time.

I've missed things but I'm supposed to be out in the yard doing the final cleanup for fall so whatever I've forgotten someone else will add.

Good for you for thinking ahead.

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I have always believed in being proactive with my dogs health and there is no better people to ask than the people here.
If both of his parents were vWD clear then does he need to be tested?

· Premium Member
15,209 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have always believed in being proactive with my dogs health and there is no better people to ask than the people here.
If both of his parents were vWD clear then does he need to be tested?
No, if both of his parents were vWD clear then he does not need to be tested he would be clear by parentage.

· Registered
420 Posts
Does anyone Know if VetGen is the only place to get a genetic test for VWD? I dont need it for breeding purposes, I just want to double check and am looking for the best price.

Also, in regards to the DCM test. It does seem cheap. What does it tell you, exactly? that your dog carries the marker associated with DCM? could this be something that would give you a heads up of potential DCM in the future, with that dog? or is it more for breeding purposes?

· sufferin succotash
9,174 Posts

· Registered
537 Posts
Nothing to add except I used to live in Danbury when I was a wee lad. Ahh, good times as a 3-4 year old. I remember every single thing I did back then, I have a hard time forgetting much stuff. Sucks for watching movies, I can't watch the same movie twice for at least 5 years before I start to forget bits and pieces and it is semi enjoyable to watch again.

Wow, so off topic. Oh, the other thing was your dog named dude. Awesome name.

A friend of mine had a chinchilla named nutsack, those things are cool.

· Super Moderator
23,878 Posts
Just wanted to make sure to say that when you get the thyroid run be sure and get a full thyroid panel, not just the free T4 they often do. Shanoa's free T4 was within normal range but the full panel showed she was low thyroid. Also be aware that "low normal" may actually be "low" for a Doberman. Different breeds seem to have different normal ranges. We sent our blood work out to Dr. Dodds at Hemopet.

Reactions: achiever

· Registered
9,469 Posts
Also, in regards to the DCM test. It does seem cheap. What does it tell you, exactly? that your dog carries the marker associated with DCM? could this be something that would give you a heads up of potential DCM in the future, with that dog? or is it more for breeding purposes?
It gives you information on ONE of the MANY (too many) genes that may cause DCM. It is a good test but only givesy ou information on that particular marker. your dog can be negative for that marker, get DCM and still pass away :(

here is a link to the webinar for more information
Webinar on Doberman Pinscher Cardiomyopathy

Also when I do my hip xrays I got to a vet that does NOT put them under anesthesia.

Reactions: achiever
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.