Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Kahlua turned 2 on December 6th and I've been thinking a lot about health screening, a lot about DCM with all the threads on here about the dogs dying so young, it gets me everytime. So basically where should I start? I know I read on here a while ago about renting holters, but I can't remember where or even where to start for all of that. She just had an annual check up but the old vet retired and this new one, well... lets put it this way, I'm going to find a new one because I question how much he really cares about animals or about answering questions.

Also, is she too young to start screening for all of this? Would I be better off waiting a few months or longer? Any suggestions welcome.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should PM her, she's really nice.

I bet if you made the trip that way she would even help you hook it up on Kahlua.
I PM'd her, I've talked to her before when I've ordered collars, it would be a nice trip, I really like the area :) I'll probably need help connecting it since this will be my first time doing it

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
So Kahlua turned 2 on December 6th and I've been thinking a lot about health screening, a lot about DCM with all the threads on here about the dogs dying so young, it gets me everytime. So basically where should I start? I know I read on here a while ago about renting holters, but I can't remember where or even where to start for all of that. She just had an annual check up but the old vet retired and this new one, well... lets put it this way, I'm going to find a new one because I question how much he really cares about animals or about answering questions.

Also, is she too young to start screening for all of this? Would I be better off waiting a few months or longer? Any suggestions welcome.
I also run full blood panels on my dogs at least once a year. Our vet calls it the "senior panel" and it covers kidney, liver, and pancreas function. We also run a full thyroid panel in addition to that (the free T4 is not good enough). I have a better chance of catching stuff early, and having a baseline is very helpful as well.

Good luck finding a new vet, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts