Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 5 year old dobie who has recently started to struggle when getting up. He does have signs of arthritis however if he has been laid for a while he finds it difficult to get up using his hind legs. In fact it looks like his hind legs have been paralysed and it takes him a few seconds to get them working. As anyone experienced a similar problem

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
We have a 5 year old dobie who has recently started to struggle when getting up. He does have signs of arthritis however if he has been laid for a while he finds it difficult to get up using his hind legs. In fact it looks like his hind legs have been paralysed and it takes him a few seconds to get them working. As anyone experienced a similar problem
A vet visit and ask the vet for suggestions of herbs/vitamins to be on hopefully you have a vet that loves alternative meds.......:)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You can give him theraputic amounts of a good fis oil like Natures Finest at Walgreens. Give one 1000 mgs pill per 10 lbs bodyweight. Fish oil has anti inflamitory properties that will help with arthritis and it is also good for heart health. I know it works for arthritis as it really helped my 14 yr old girl. Start out with one pill twice a day w/meals and build up. I would also give glucosamine w/chrondrotin/msm twice a day. Dollar General Store has a really good deal on them. Get him checked out by a vet to see what your dealing with and to run the meds by him.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Forgot to mention, if you give fish oil, you must also suppliment vitamin E. The dosage is 200 iu for every 1000 mgs fish oil. While your giving vitamins, you might as well give vit C, too. Both vit e and c are good antioxidents and vit c helps to build cartilage, which it sounds like your boy needs help with. Start w/500 mgs after morning meal and in a couple of weeks add another 500 mgs after evening meal.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Please find a cold laser therapy clinic , do his neck and back and also have chiro done on his back,.he maybe out of alinement .. It will work wonders . Aswell start him on Arnica montana pettets . They are wonderful ;-)Good luck

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
He may have wobblers or may just have arthritis. Do not have chiro done on him unless you have had xrays and his spine checks out OK and the vet says it is OK. If your dog is experiencing disc problems and possible nerve impingement, I would not have anyone manipulate until it is cleared with the vet via radiographs.
Dasuquin w/MSM for large dogs is a good supplement. Dasuquin was recommended over other brands by my vet because the company making Dasuquin has a way to get the needed amount absorbed molecularly by the dog's system.
Wobbler's exhibits itself with the hind legs in early stages and in advanced stages, includes the front legs. If your dog has Wobbler's, he may just be experiencing a 'flare-up' in which case, he might be put on meds to help with the flare-up.
My dog was recently diagnosed with Wobbler's as well as intervertebral disc disease and I have a thread on it. You might want to read it since I tried to post some info so others would also benefit from what I have learned.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/59969-audrey-has-intervertebral-disc-disease.html

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
This is definitely the kind of circumstance where you will want a full vet work up. I would clear any supplements or alternative therapies with your vet, first. If it were something like Wobblers you would NOT want a chiro adjustment.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
After the vet visit, if you are interested in some alt treatment along with traditional, I had a friend who's dobe had Wobblers and actually had a very positive experience with acupuncture. Don't know if it's snake oil or not, but she swore it helped.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Definitely a trip to the vet for xrays and a full work up - also ask for a lymes disease snap test..... lymes can present in all kinds of weird ways.

Off the top of my head (and I'm no vet) I can think of wobblers, lymes, arthritis, back/disc injury...... only your vet can start the process for a true diagnosis.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
After the vet visit, if you are interested in some alt treatment along with traditional, I had a friend who's dobe had Wobblers and actually had a very positive experience with acupuncture. Don't know if it's snake oil or not, but she swore it helped.
I think acupuncture could help. Acupressure is also something that, if done correctly, can probably help. Nothing is going to cure it but I think the idea is to manage it as well as possible.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
I've also heard great things about acupuncture and Wobbler's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts