Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at my health guarantee, and wondering what other breeders have, if they have one at all. Do you cover only certain things? What things? What do you do in the event that something happens? Do you return money, provide a puppy? Do you have a time limit?

My overall contract seems to change each litter, LOL, amending stuff here and there as things happen so that they are included.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I cover Hips, eyes, vWD, heart, thyroid and CVI for 3 years. I offer 75% of price back or a puppy on proof of spay/neuter. I don't want the puppy back. In 3 years, people are attached to them.

Most testing is started or done between 2-3 years. If the hips, eyes or thyroid are real problems, then we can know about it early.

I haven't produced a vWD affected so that can pretty much be a forever thing.

Heart and CVI... these come later. But, there can be elements of environment too and you just can't guarentee forever. I am not sure what the best option for these are. I would liek to see what others do as well.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cover Hips, eyes, vWD, heart, thyroid and CVI for 3 years. I offer 75% of price back or a puppy on proof of spay/neuter. I don't want the puppy back. In 3 years, people are attached to them.

Most testing is started or done between 2-3 years. If the hips, eyes or thyroid are real problems, then we can know about it early.

Heart and CVI... these come later. But, there can be elements of environment too and you just can't guarentee forever. I am not sure what the best option for these are. I would liek to see what others do as well.
Yes, ultimately you want to be completely fair to both parties. I'm just going through mine now for the pups and it's a good time to take a look at it. Even of the dogs I have purchased, all have had varying degrees of guarantees - and I've seen one breeder advertise "lifetime" guarantee on hips. There's such a variety.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Yes, ultimately you want to be completely fair to both parties. I'm just going through mine now for the pups and it's a good time to take a look at it. Even of the dogs I have purchased, all have had varying degrees of guarantees - and I've seen one breeder advertise "lifetime" guarantee on hips. There's such a variety.
My "breeder"(can't even say it with a straight face lol) offers an 8 yr jealth guarantee on hips( can't remember if it includes anything else) when my dog had her hips xrayed at 3 (suspected it earlier but didn't xray til spay day) when breeder was informed, she stated in 30yrs she hasn't had any hip problems in her lines.... *cough bull**** cough cough*

Lol just sayin... she has an awesome guarantee lol.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've never expected any guarantee on any of the puppies I've purchased. If I wanted a guarantee I'd buy an adult dog. Just saying.

·
Alpha
2,797 Posts

You, are awesome:)

I've never expected any guarantee on any of the puppies I've purchased. If I wanted a guarantee I'd buy an adult dog. Just saying.
True, I would never try to collect, but the fact that it's there speaks volumes about a breeders integrity.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Question? You will give a puppy from another litter to someone that shows proof of spaying or neutering of the previous dog they got from you? Just curious....thanks..

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Question? You will give a puppy from another litter to someone that shows proof of spaying or neutering of the previous dog they got from you? Just curious....thanks..
Yes. I don't subscribe to the idea that the owners have to surrender the previous dog to me. I will always take a dog back if the owners cannot or will not care for the dog, but to honor the guarantee all I need is proof of spay or neuter.

The other option is to give 75% of the purchase price back.

I still would like to hear what others do in their contracts.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Yes. I don't subscribe to the idea that the owners have to surrender the previous dog to me. I will always take a dog back if the owners cannot or will not care for the dog, but to honor the guarantee all I need is proof of spay or neuter.
I think that's totally reasonable. If a dog has a health problem so serious that a health guarantee from the breeder comes into the picture, then the dog definitely should be removed from the breeding population.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You, are awesome:)

True, I would never try to collect, but the fact that it's there speaks volumes about a breeders integrity.
Here's kinda my take on it.

Any even cursory study of the breed will reveal extensive and pervasive health issues. Even the most ethical, caring and conscientious breeder can not guaranty against the appearance of these ailments. These are not machines.

It’s reasonable to expect complete health testing on both parents, along with copies of the relevant documents. It’s reasonable to expect an honest discussion of the pedigree to include depth and breadth of ancestors. It’s reasonable to expect the breeder to care, be supportive and accessible for the life of the dog.

Sometimes **** happens, you can not guaranty against it.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I do not think it is necessary for a breeder to have to give any health guarantee. These are living breathing creatures and even under the best of breeding practices things can and do go wrong. Furthermore, if a problem does arise, is it the fault of the breeder or the fault of the owner? My feeling is reputable people will do their best to make things right without it being spelled out in a contract.

IMO, breeders need to be honest with their puppy buyers as to the health, longevity and testing done. In addition, the scope of what specific health testing on the breeding pair actually means to the litter. As well as explaining that, this is a high-risk breed to own regardless of the testing done and the family history. Testing and a family history of good health and longevity undoubtedly minimize risks but do not guarantee again them.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
JMO about guarantees..obviously NO ONE can guarantee a living creature will never have a health problem, especially in a dog breed with more than their share of serious problems.

So I always thought a guarantee was more along the lines of a remedy about what the breeder was going to do if something happened, especially if it was earlier than the norm.

If my dog dropped dead from DCM at age 2, I'd expect some remedy from the breeder. I wouldn't have those expectations with a 7 year old dog.

If I bought a puppy who turned out to be dysplastic, I'd certainly expect SOMETHING from the breeder, most especially if I'd paid for a show/breeding prospect.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I don't have a health guarantee in my contract beyond the Pennsylvania lemon law. I do the health testing, and study pedigrees for health, temperament, and conformation - but I tell people that no one can guarantee that their puppy will always be healthy. I will work with a family on a health problem on an individual basis. They either trust me or they don't - if they don't then they should not buy a puppy from me.

I personally don't think that most health guarantees are worth the paper they are printed on, and that is what I tell people that ask.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts

This.

Having any kind of health assurance or guarantee suggests to me that the breeder cares about the quality of dog that they are producing, and that they have an eye towards the problem that the breed displays. I don't know what I would look for anymore, or for how long (especially with what a crapshoot cardio is), but the care taken to have that part does, in fact, speak volumes.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do feel weird saying there is a guarantee, because it's a live being and how do you guarantee that? But I do think there should be something in writing. For instance if there was a missing testicle, I think it would be fair to pay the difference in the neuter (at my vet's).

These responses are helpful though thanks! I mean I don't want to end up with a ten page agreement, I want to keep it short and sweet but everytime we have puppies something different happens and you end up changing or adding stuff LOL

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The other option is to give 75% of the purchase price back.

I still would like to hear what others do in their contracts.
I totally agree with that. I really hope that I've chosen families that would never want to part with their puppy and in that case I would think it's fair to replace the puppy down the road....perhaps after the health issues with the current pup have resolved.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
JMO about guarantees..obviously NO ONE can guarantee a living creature will never have a health problem, especially in a dog breed with more than their share of serious problems.

So I always thought a guarantee was more along the lines of a remedy about what the breeder was going to do if something happened, especially if it was earlier than the norm.

If my dog dropped dead from DCM at age 2, I'd expect some remedy from the breeder. I wouldn't have those expectations with a 7 year old dog.

If I bought a puppy who turned out to be dysplastic, I'd certainly expect SOMETHING from the breeder, most especially if I'd paid for a show/breeding prospect.
This is exactly how I feel to, especially what I bolded.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I also offer refunds for people purchasing show or performance prospects.

It encourages the perspective owners to get basic health testing done by the time the dog turns three, which in turn provides me with information in a timely manor.

They get the difference between their purchase price and the pet price. They get half at the time of documented diagnosis - and the other half after producing documentation of spay or neuter.

The reason for the half up front is to provide funds for the spay /neuter without it having to be a burden for the owners.

Sue

1 - 20 of 45 Posts