Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me I'm trying to exactly remember Mansen's head. I've been looking at Jordan and his head is sooooo wide at the top. I remember Cleo's neck was wider then the widest part of her head when she was a puppy and it was so hard to put a non-choker leash on her because she could slip any of them off. I know Mansen's was larger then hers but I don't remember it being so different. He was my only other doberboy.

I realize that Jordan is the definition of non-standard and I just wonder if this is part of it, if he just has an abnormally large head or needs such a large head because he is so smart, or just a boy. Just curious I guess.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Puppies' heads can change quite a bit by the time the dog is an adult, so you could be looking at something in a few months.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
We also had issues with Titus when he was a puppy getting out of his collar. The only time that we have that issue not is when his collar gets wet so we usually will have buckle collar on him while we are at the DP and when we go to leave we put his choker on him to stop him from getting away, although it usually is not a problem when we are leaving as at that point he is usually too tired to make any fast get aways. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
I think there is alot of misinterperetation of the breed standard as far as heads go, because I see huge differences among lines. The extremes somewhat resembling rotty or greyhound heads. As mentioned above, be glad he has a big head, maybe he will use his quick thinking to rescue you from a house fire or other hairy situation.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I very rarely took my eyes off duchess when she was walking on a leash outside with me. She slipped through once and I just tackled her before she realized it...and it happened a couple times with coco since he can be afraid of situations and refuse to go forward causing him to back up....

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I won't complain for a second. I love his collar being able to stay on. It was one of those things you forget about from so long ago that just sitting, staring at his head reminded me of. Hum, I haven't had that problem with him.

Greenkouki--I hope he never has the chance to test that theory but I know he is destined for greatness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts