Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I've freaked out about, ad nauseum, they're back.

I no longer have my chiro.
She no longer comes to the clinic 25 miles from here on an average monthly basis due to lack of demand because of the economy.

We've been going to a physical therapist who uses cold laser, as well.

She found strong immobility problems on the left side of his neck from the e-vet dragging incident.

On our last visit, she said she can no longer feel the resistance or 'flinches' that were there weeks ago.
He, for the first time since I got him, has decided he can jump.
We no longer have to hoist him into the Yukon and he's started sailing over the doggie gate in the kitchen which is there to keep him from bugging an elderly Ibizan Hound.

His thyroid levels are now "normal" [.6 mg Soloxine 2x a day] and he's getting B-50, tons of salmon oil and probiotics, etc but the tremors are back again.

However, I cannot get the honey open and in his mouth fast enough to see if it stops them.

They're over too quickly and I can't sit here with a finger-full of honey, 24/7, *waiting*.

They always start when he's laying down and most of the time, stop as soon as he jumps off the couch.

Just now, they went on for an unknown time while I ran for the honey.

They were over by the time I got back.

If it's not his muscle tension from the e-vet injury, what other possible causes are there?

The PT could not find any evidence of the supposed atlas joint problem the chiro claimed he had but did mention his "C2 and C3".

She didn't feel them being an issue, Wednesday on his last appt.

She said his 'resistance' to manipulation was gone.

I'm at a loss.

I want this gone from his life forever and have run out of options/guesses.

This is the record of the tremors I have witnessed:

11/21/09 1x
1/25/11 2x
2/13/11 1x
2/14/11 1x
4-26-2011 1x
3/12/12 1x
4/6/12 1x
4/8/12 1x

They are not 'severe' and seem to be brief in reality though they feel like they last forever to me.

I know they're theoretically "harmless" but I seriously want to find a cause and cure.

I hate watching him have them because they seem to upset him.

In 37 years of having a lot of Dobes, this is the first time I've ever had this "issue".

There has to be something I can do....:(

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am not going to claim to have the answer to your problem. But let me tell you about
Willy's experience and you can see if there is any comparison. For over 5 years he has
had what is known as "idiopathic head bobbing". It was diagnosed by his vet. The tremors
only affect his head. This usually happens when he is laying down. I talk to him in a
very calm voice and get him a treat. The tremors disappear as soon as I give him the
treat. They never last more than a minute. As far as frequency, there is no pattern.
Sometimes he can have episodes 2 days in a row and other times we can go 6 months
between episodes. From what I understand it is harmless and there isn't anything that
can be done to prevent it.

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not going to claim to have the answer to your problem. But let me tell you about
Willy's experience and you can see if there is any comparison. For over 5 years he has
had what is known as "idiopathic head bobbing". It was diagnosed by his vet. The tremors
only affect his head. This usually happens when he is laying down. I talk to him in a
very calm voice and get him a treat. The tremors disappear as soon as I give him the
treat. They never last more than a minute. As far as frequency, there is no pattern.
Sometimes he can have episodes 2 days in a row and other times we can go 6 months
between episodes. From what I understand it is harmless and there isn't anything that
can be done to prevent it.
Thanks.

I guess I'm just determined to defeat the undefeatable problems in life.

[chronically hard headed and extremely allergic to "no"].....:)

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I do not know the history of your dog so please do not panic when I tell you my old Boxer girl started head wobbling and it turned out to be a pancreatic tumour which was affecting her sugar levels. I fed her honey whenever she had a head wobbling session and it helped but in her case the tumour was way too advanced for anything to be done. I am not saying your dog has a tumour but perhaps you can mention it to the vet when next you visit and have a blood test to be sure one way or another.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
They have honey in Bear shaped plastic containers large and small they have a flip top lid might get a couple of small ones put them in areas where you can grab it flip the top open there you go.? Hope you can find something that works sending Rays and Hugs they might help can't hurt.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
As I've freaked out about, ad nauseum, they're back.

I know they're theoretically "harmless" but I seriously want to find a cause and cure.

I hate watching him have them because they seem to upset him.

In 37 years of having a lot of Dobes, this is the first time I've ever had this "issue".

There has to be something I can do....:(
There are all sorts of things you can do... building altars and sacraficing small animals, dancing nekkid in the moonlight... it is doubtful that there is anything that you can do that will actually address the issue.

Zen Buddhism might help... help you, at least. My guess is that he doesn't find this upsetting, but that he finds your upset-ness upsetting... this, you CAN address.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
You don't mention what your vet results were?

I had episodes with my girl that they think (on necropsy) were related to lack of oxygen. I still think they were related to pain.

Your dog is so young. If they are upsetting to your dog, I imagine they are upsetting to you as well.

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are all sorts of things you can do... building altars and sacraficing small animals, dancing nekkid in the moonlight... it is doubtful that there is anything that you can do that will actually address the issue.

Zen Buddhism might help... help you, at least. My guess is that he doesn't find this upsetting, but that he finds your upset-ness upsetting... this, you CAN address.
Oh, crap.

I ran out and did all the stuff on your list before I realized you were kidding.

Oh well.

The neighbors probably got a kick out of it.

:rolleyesww:

[I could only bring myself to sacrifice a small chocolate Easter bunny...not sure of the efficacy of that]

Oooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They have honey in Bear shaped plastic containers large and small they have a flip top lid might get a couple of small ones put them in areas where you can grab it flip the top open there you go.? Hope you can find something that works sending Rays and Hugs they might help can't hurt.
I have a jaw of raw, organic honey with the propolis and pollen retained, sitting by the sofa now.

Poking your finger in it to get a gob is not a pleasurable thing.

*bleah*

Thanks for the warm & fuzzy rays.

They help....:)

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Oh, crap.

I ran out and did all the stuff on your list before I realized you were kidding.

Oh well.

The neighbors probably got a kick out of it.

:rolleyesww:

[I could only bring myself to sacrifice a small chocolate Easter bunny...not sure of the efficacy of that]

Oooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Vet results?????????

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vet results?????????
Vet results for what?

He's hypothyroidal/taking Soloxine and has a chronic neck injury inflicted upon him by know-it-all/know nothing vet techs for which has had chiro and is now undergoing physical therapy and cold laser.

The CBC he got last year was otherwise perfect.

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm curious--did you try to sue the vets where his injury happened.? They should be held accountable.
I raised hell about it and for my "audacity", now I'm banned from there and their associated emergency clinic.

The lawyer basically said I had to prove his neck was not damaged prior to that visit which means I would have had to have him x-rayed for no good reason *before* the incident to show that the incident caused the damage that showed up on the x-ray after the incident.

Vets are generally legally untouchable and they know it.

When this clinic burned down several years ago, due to a lack of smoke detectors and sprinklers, killing scores of sick animals and boarded pets, they didn't compensate those owners either so I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I raised hell about it and for my "audacity", now I'm banned from there and their associated emergency clinic.

The lawyer basically said I had to prove his neck was not damaged prior to that visit which means I would have had to have him x-rayed for no good reason *before* the incident to show that the incident caused the damage that showed up on the x-ray after the incident.

Vets are generally legally untouchable and they know it.

When this clinic burned down several years ago, due to a lack of smoke detectors and sprinklers, killing scores of sick animals and boarded pets, they didn't compensate those owners either so I'm not surprised.

How utterly horrid, those poor anamals and their humans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts