Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Storm is my 6 month old fawn doberman. She is the first Dobe I've had. I noticed about a week ago when I had her ears posted up that she was shaking her head side to side. I thought it was the tapes irritating her ears so I took them off and it stopped. Well last night at about 8 after she had laid down in the dog bed my brother noticed her head was shaking side to side again. I immediately got up and went over to her and called her name. She got up and looked at me, ears up and alert but head still shaking. I could get her to do a sit stay and when shining a flashlight in her eyes they constricted and dilated. After a few minutes it stopped and she went back to wrestling with the 1 year old German Shepard.

I am scared to death something is seriously wrong with her. Please if anyone could help me and shed some light on the situation, I would more than appreciate it.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Here are some threads on idiopathic head temors-> IDT
It's easier/quicker to go to google +enter topic+dobermantalk than parse thru the forum search function.

39W3OH8WWAw

Our girl had very mild head shaking as a puppy - with her they only happened when she was tired and curled up to rest. She outgrew them.
Not saying this is your girl's situation but from what i gather from reading others posts not unusual for young dobes.

·
_______
5,102 Posts

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
Commonly called idiopathic head bobbing. They tend to grow out of it. Really scary the first time it hits - your stomach just balls up and I cried my 1st time. It was also when I had just finished taping ears and removing the tape etc stopped it. But you will find so does a treat, catching a toy or a myriad of other things that distract them and make them use their neck muscles. Use treats and play trick training games next time it happens.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Elka started doing it while in the cone of shame after her spay, and will occasionally still do it (she'll be 5 in May). With her, it seems to be brought on by stress or by need (i.e., she really really wants your food or something), but doesn't seem to freak her out or anything otherwise.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I'd run this pup in to the vet, for a good check-up, rule out ear infections or other health issues--try to bring the vet a video of her doing the head shaking, as well.

If all else is ruled out, then it probably is IDT, and you've gotten good info from posters above, on that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
She's fine , many do this and out grow it.. don't put this puppy through a bunch of things at a vet and they will find nothing.. when she does it just distract her with a cookie or treat , she'll stop .. they will get less and less as she gets older.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts