Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Scout, age 5 months as of Oct.1 2021
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had my almost 5 month old Dobie puppy, Scout for about 2 weeks. He's real smart and sits and shakes on command, chews mostly his own toys now and very seldom has an accident in the house. We don't have a crate but we use the shower stall in our bathroom, he can see through the door so he can see us at night and will make noises if he needs to go out. He hasn't pooped in the house for over a week and only had a pee accident a couple of times this week. My problem is he has learned to ask to go out and in. Now he is constantly asking to go out, then when he gets out there, he just plays. If I leave him out alone he will ask to come in, then back out again. I don't want to not take him in or out when he asks, any suggestions on how to get him to actually GO when he asks to go out? I've never run into this before and I've never had a puppy learn to ask to out and in so quickly either. It's funny, my last 2 Dobies had their own couch in my bedroom that they were allowed on, this one won't go near it, he stands there and looks at and sometimes barks at it like he's looking at another dog. He loves my couch though and sits there watching TV.

Attachments

·
Registered
4yr old female
188 Posts
Yep, they're smart lil buggers. Learn real quick how to get what they want.

·
Big Lil pup
7,133 Posts
LOL tud...

Your puppy is training you quite well. My favorite similar situation is when folks teach the dog to ring a bell near the door when they "need" to go out. Uh... Which actually is when they want to go out. Any time. For any reason. Or no reason at all! Now that would. be annoying.

John L.
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,751 Posts
Take him out on a leash and don't let him play. Be clear that it is a business trip only. Give him a reasonable amount of time and then take him back in. You can even start to teach him a command that tells him to go--very useful if you are travelling and don't have time to wait forever while he sniffs. Just make sure that whatever word you use for the prompt is one that you won't feel embarrassed about if you out in public where someone might hear you. LOL

If you feel like he really does need to go but got distracted, you can put him in his safe space for about 10 minutes and then take him back outside. Always though, put his business before his play.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try the leash some more. I work on that every day, that's the one thing that he hates, he'll just stand there. With that I've tried letting him drag it around to get used to it. He just stops and sits down after a minute or so. I've tried letting him walk me, that's good for a few minutes, then he just stops or sits down. I guess I'll just have to get him to walk on it. I have a closed courtyard off of our bedroom, I'll put him there for a while when he won't go and then try him out on the leash again. I don't care if he uses the courtyard it has plenty of drains. My last dog Loki used to use it if we were gone for a long time. He could use the toilet, but only would when on a leash, he really didn't like using it and always wanted to go out if he could. Scout has already learned some of the things my other dogs took months to learn. He goes to the counter where the treats are, and sits down, then looks at me, then looks at the treat container over and over. He sits and waits nicely for his food and only goes for it when released, I'm making sure he knows the food is mine and my wife's before his, so I won't have to deal with food aggression later. He has learned that he has to sit and behave to get anything. I was hoping there was a shortcut to stop him from, as my wife puts it, "Scamming me", but I guess not so much!:cool:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lol my Aussie tried that with me too. I always take her out on lead though, so if she didn’t pee within a set amount of time it was back inside! And then she got set times to go out and play where I told her “Go Play!” Compared to “Go Potty.” For bathroom trips.

·
Premium Member
8,935 Posts
When going out for business break…try using a 15 foot lead.
Let pup take his time by roaming around and sniffing.
With Hoss once he has sniffed around a bot …..that seems to fire up his need for doing his business.
I found a 6 foot lead was to short…..opted for longer lead and was more successful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still trying to get him used to the leash. He still hates it but he was a bit better today, he walked around and sniffed a bit before he sat down and refused to move. I always bring him back in after a few minutes when he doesn't go, then bring him back out on the leash again a few minutes later. He gets some play time in the yard daily, I play hide and seek with him, I'll start going one way then when he runs ahead, I change directions and hide behind a tree or a bush, he runs all over till he finds me. He also gets an hour of playtime every afternoon at the pool with Bella, our female Askal (Philippines street dog) from the litter we rescued a few years ago as watchdogs for the back yard. The 2 males from the same litter don't like him, although one of them doesn't growl at him anymore, but the other hates him. I won't let either of them near him. They still run around and look all over for Loki when ever I go to the pool and seem especially mad when he is around. I'll try "Playtime" for his free time in the front yard, he already knows "pool" is time to play with Bella and go swimming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts