Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Dobmerman Talk!

My family and I have unsuccessfully tried to find a puppy from a reputable breeder for 2 yeras now. I was hoping you would have some advice for us and point us in the right direction.:) Here is a bit of a background about us.

I am 33 years old, Hubby is 30. We have 3 kids ( ages 10,5,3). My Mom aka Grandma, is living with us full time, she is 70 years old.

We own our own home, with a wooden privacy fence of 7 feet. I work full time, while my Hubby stays at home and along with my Mom, he helps take care of the house and the kids while I am at work. Puppy would always have someone at home with him/her. Money isn't an issue, and we can afford vet care, puppy classes, and anything and everything the puppy would need throughout its lifetime.

We currently have no pets, although I used to own a Doberman 12 years ago. She passed away 4 years ago, and was absolutely a spectacular, love pumpkin ( my nickname for her :) )! I got her when I was 21 from a byb ( I didn't know much about back yard breeders back then, I just fell in love with her, and got her so to speak ). After her, I said to myself that I will only own a puppy from a reputable breeder. We are looking for a loving companion puppy. I would not mind trying obedience/shows ( and would truly love to do that one day!), but we mostly want a loving puppy that our family will go on adventures with ( we love going for walks/hiking/being outdoors in general ).

We live in North Dakota, and 2 years ago, we have filled out a questionaire with a reputable breeder serveral hours away. They had a litter, although we were not chosen. Fast forward a year, we fill out a questionairre again - and for the consecutive 2 litters - the Mom had a singleton puppy ( I completely understand that nothing can be done about that - although I was heartbroken a bit ), and then for a third litter, we weren't chosen either! The same breeder may have a litter in the winter or may not.

Today I found Akila Dobermans from Texas, although I saw that all of their puppies are already spoken for.

Is there anyone from here that has successfully gotten a Dobie companion puppy from a reputable breeder? I am not sure if we are getting denied because I always put that we are looking for a "companion puppy" in the questionaire vs "shows" or obedience or similar?

We are a very stable family, and the kids are raised with respect towards other amals. (they come in contact with the dogs next door frequently, so we taught them since birth how to treat animals with love and respect ). Ever since my Dobie years ago, I simply cannot imagine getting another breed, and would really LOVE to own another one. We are just getting so discouraged in finding a puppy from a reputable breeder.

It is eather we find an available litter and then look up the breeder on Google and find bad reviews about them ( and therefore it is a no go ) or all of the puppies are spoken for from the great breeders. :( Thank You So Much for listening! If you have any tips for us, they would be greatly appreciated! :):):)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,284 Posts
I can't tell you a breeder's name--but I'm guessing that part of the deal might have been that you had a young baby in the house. At 3 now, though, the baby is older, so hopefully you can get a puppy now.

I will say that with CoVid, It seems like everyone has decided that now would be a good time to get a puppy, and breeders also haven't been willing to travel as far to find a good male to breed with their female, so it's perhaps harder than usual to find one at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
Reactions: Cressrb and melbrod

·
Registered
47 Posts
I feel your pain. I'm in San Diego and there are so many BYB it's getting really hard to find a nice pup. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
This is just me and my opinion only as a breeder. with your current situation, I wouldn't likely place a puppy with your family.

1) Because you have a few children, two that are fairly young in age, leaves VERY little time to train a puppy. Getting a puppy is like having another baby around, it's a FULL time job. In fact, my friends that have both swear that dobe puppies are more difficult. As the children get older, they are going to be in more and more things, leaving nearly zero time to spend with a dog.

2) A dobe puppy is a HUGE trip hazard for a 70 year old. I have a mother around the same age, who's of excellent health and even my older dogs can trip her up.

I'm not saying that ALL breeders feel this way or even that ANY other breeders would feel this way, only that myself, as a breeder, feels this way.

I still wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have a friend who asked me to help rehome his well-bred, 3yo Doberman intact male whom he spent a huge amount of time training, raising. The dog has an excellent foundation for competitive OB, tracking, lovely pedigree. But he has three young kids around the ages of your children (oldest is younger than your oldest and the youngest is 2 I think) and is having to rehome in part because the amount of time he has to put into his three boys and his dog is too much vs his full time job. The dog is great with the kids but he is a high energy, drivey dog and excitable, and the youngest is breaking into rashes from the stress of having to follow the rules pertaining to interacting with the dog so as to not get knocked over.

Obviously it depends on the dog and the kids and the parents, of course it's not impossible but this is with an adult dog who has just learned the meaning of an off switch over the last half year or so... I can only imagine with a puppy! I do think considering a retired show or breeding dog, or an adult rehome might be a better fit for your situation as the temperament will be a known value and the house manners will be there. Less puppy crazies to contend with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts