Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a new 4 month old puppy who was cropped & docked prior to me getting her. I live in California & it’s been such a pain bringing her to the vet. I’m shamed every time by whoever’s working, to the point where I get such bad anxiety bringing her to any vet. Today I brought her to a new vet that I bring my other dog to, all 3 vet techs asked me so many questions, Like where I got her from, why I wanted a Doberman, why I didn’t adopt, it honestly felt like an interview. (I also bring my maltipoo there & have never been treated like how I was this time) they seemed super skeptical of all my answers. The first thing the doctor said to me was “so my sister is actually in the market for a Doberman, could you give me breeders name & contact info?” Then proceeds to basically lecture me on all the reasons you shouldn’t own one & how they have so many health issues. It seemed like she was trying to trick me into giving her the ladies info to report her. (It was a random lady on Facebook, & I wanted a puppy so I could raise it with my two cats & other dog)
I already got my puppy a DNA health test & she doesn’t carry any of the genes for DCM. (Shes 25% German Shepard so not pure bred, though she looks pretty purebred) She’s seriously the best puppy ever & incredibly easy to train. But I hadn’t researched much about cropping & docking. I’m wondering if anyone else has this issue with vets? Maybe it’s because I live in California & “buying” dogs here is also illegal. But I’m seriously scared every time I bring her in that they are going to take her away or report me for animal cruelty :/ even tho I’m not the one who did it. This has happened at both of the two vets I’ve brought her too.
Siamese Comfort Dog Carnivore Cat

·
Registered
899 Posts
That sounds strange to me. Maybe someone who lives in Canada can explain why they behaved like that, I thought there were a few Canadians on here. Though I don't understand why they would make breeding illegal? Like, you can't breed anything at all? How do you have non imported pets? Canada sounds different.
I did have one bad experience with being talked down to and everything with a vet, my last dog was an Australian shepherd and she had extreme reactions to any medication (and the rest of the world) with her disease she had, they kept insisting it was just allergies and to give her Benadryl and I was a horrible owner for not giving it to her (I mean, I could but do we want to deal with that reaction), and for putting a cone on her to keep her from destroying herself. They would not believe me or her records, refusing to believe that could be possible because their meds would never cause anything like that (not the meds, just her strange self)! Now I have a different doctor there, and he's a lot better when I use them for surgeries only, because they're pretty good at that. He seems to know what he's doing compared to the other one. I just won't use them for general care or problem solving anymore. No vet ever did figure out what was wrong with my Aussie, best guess was an extreme autoimmune disease or some kind of chemical exposure from her farm that could cause immune shut down. My guess is she was also an oops from a brother and sister. I wish I'd done Embark to see her in breeding level.
Anyways, sometimes you just have to try some different vets till you find one that clicks with you or is at least less condescending.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Karyn - Welcome! What no pictures of your lovely girl?

I have not been shamed, yet, but I live in North Carolina where folks mostly mind their own business vs California the land of the woke. Curious that the pups were not purebred but were still cropped. Does your girl appear to have some shepherd traits? Maybe that was the basis of the vet having issues. And if the breeder was a BYB the crop job may be a little iffy.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Hello! I have never been shamed/questioned by any of my vets regarding, well, anything actually. I hear a lot of whispering and weird things said about my puppy whose ears are posted when we're out and about, but don't let it bother me.
I would try to find a vet/vet office that didn't make me feel so stressed, if at all possible. I realize that is easier said than done, too.
Same curiosity as RBD, as to why the puppy was cropped if not pure bred, though.
Keep in mind, also, that the genes they can test relative to DCM really do not indicate whether or not a Doberman will get DCM. It is basically just collecting data at this point to see if/how those genes relate to the disease. I did the testing, too, btw. I just don't use the results for much of anything.

So glad you love your pup and that she is amazing! Any pictures to share with us? We love puppies here. :)

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
I just got a new 4 month old puppy who was cropped & docked prior to me getting her. I live in California & it’s been such a pain bringing her to the vet. I’m shamed every time by whoever’s working, to the point where I get such bad anxiety bringing her to any vet. Today I brought her to a new vet that I bring my other dog to, all 3 vet techs asked me so many questions, Like where I got her from, why I wanted a Doberman, why I didn’t adopt, it honestly felt like an interview. (I also bring my maltipoo there & have never been treated like how I was this time) they seemed super skeptical of all my answers. The first thing the doctor said to me was “so my sister is actually in the market for a Doberman, could you give me breeders name & contact info?” Then proceeds to basically lecture me on all the reasons you shouldn’t own one & how they have so many health issues. It seemed like she was trying to trick me into giving her the ladies info to report her.
The first time a vet clinics employees be they receptionists , tech's or vets treated me like you've described I'd be finding a different clinic with employees that would not treat me like that. I work for a clinic--I've been with them for 16 or 17 years and I know at least one past employee who was discharged for announcing her own opinions about pet care making one of our very good clients terribly uncomfortable.

And just so you know--cropping and docking are NOT illegal in California and short of outright mistreatment of pets there would be no one to report that to.

(It was a random lady on Facebook, & I wanted a puppy so I could raise it with my two cats & other dog)
I already got my puppy a DNA health test & she doesn’t carry any of the genes for DCM. (Shes 25% German Shepard so not pure bred) She’s seriously the best puppy ever & incredibly easy to train.
I'll repeat what Kristen C said--the two gene tests for "cardio" will not tell you anything about whether or not your puppy may or may not develop cardio. Those two gene tests are primarily of interest to genetic studies at this stage of the game. I'm kind of shocked that the breeder of those puppies (not purebreds) would even crop or dock them.

But I hadn’t researched much about cropping & docking. I’m wondering if anyone else has this issue with vets? Maybe it’s because I live in California & breeding here is also illegal. But I’m seriously scared every time I bring her in that they are going to take her away or report me for animal cruelty :/ even tho I’m not the one who did it.
Breeding is NOT illegal in all of California. There are municiplalities who have regulations about keeping intact animal and require permits to breed them legally and expensive licensing to keep them intact. This is not true of all of California.

But I certainly would not stay with a clinic who was treating me as if I were a criminal. And I'd make sure that the clinic owner (or manager if it is a corporate owned faciflity) knew exactly how I'd been treated and why I was leaving.

And I'd certainly go elsewhere.

dobebug

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've never been shamed for my pup being cropped and docked at the vet. In fact, I had several people inquire about where I got her and who was the one that did the cropped because they all think she has a beautiful one.

·
Big Lil pup
8,457 Posts
Hi Karyn. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

I'll bet, there is just some miscommunication going on. I am not saying that your vet approves of cropping and docking. There is a whole lot of incidental indoctrination that goes on in educational institutions, and veterinary schools of medicine are no different. Pushing what is trendy and socially popular with no real regard to actual consequences is irresponsible, in my book. Still, If what you are saying is true, I would want a vet who listens, explains, offers suggestions, yet is not judgmental or confrontational. If a vet wants to jump on a bandwagon, they should make an effort to combat canine obesity. Or as my vet does, spend several weeks a year providing free spays and neuters to communities that cannot afford them.

FYI... My vet, who is very familiar with Doberman and cropped ears, on more than one occasion remarked how remarkably well my recently deceased boy, McCoy, stood for veterinary visits and procedures. He (and I) both believed that months of gently, yet firmly, dealing with posting his ears accustomed him to the idea that having hands put on him in a kind and positive fashion, with a positive attitude, was a good thing and nothing to be afraid of.

The only people who have reacted negatively with respect to my Dobermans' cropped ears, the those who were absolutely ignorant of both the procedure and the breed. And only while taped up in posts. I have had people come up and thank me for leaving my dogs ears natural, when it is obvious to anyone familiar with contemporary crops that his ears are cropped.

It kind of reminds me when, bowing to social pressure, some DVMs started telling puppy owners that juvenile spays and castrations were not only not a problem, but were actually recommended.

John L
Portland OR

·
Doberdonut
531 Posts
I have had vets get on my case about my dog’s cropped ears, but I live where it is genuinely illegal. As soon as I inform them that she is an imported dog, they settle right down.

It isn’t illegal in California so I have no idea what is going on there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had vets get on my case about my dog’s cropped ears, but I live where it is genuinely illegal. As soon as I inform them that she is an imported dog, they settle right down.

It isn’t illegal in California so I have no idea what is going on there.
Ok that’s good to know! One of the ladies at the front desk told me it was against the law here since it was considered cruel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'll bet, there is just some miscommunication going on. I am not saying that your vet approves of cropping and docking. There is a whole lot of incidental indoctrination that goes on in educational institutions, and veterinary schools of medicine are no different. Pushing what is trendy and socially popular with no real regard to actual consequences is irresponsible, in my book. Still, If what you are saying is true, I would want a vet who listens, explains, offers suggestions, yet is not judgmental or confrontational. If a vet wants to jump on a bandwagon, they should make an effort to combat canine obesity. Or as my vet does, spend several weeks a year providing free spays and neuters to communities that cannot afford them.

FYI... My vet, who is very familiar with Doberman and cropped ears, on more than one occasion remarked how remarkably well my recently deceased boy, McCoy, stood for veterinary visits and procedures. He (and I) both believed that months of gently, yet firmly, dealing with posting his ears accustomed him to the idea that having hands put on him in a kind and positive fashion, with a positive attitude, was a good thing and nothing to be afraid of.

The only people who have reacted negatively with respect to my Dobermans' cropped ears, the those who were absolutely ignorant of both the procedure and the breed. And only while taped up in posts. I have had people come up and thank me for leaving my dogs ears natural, when it is obvious to anyone familiar with contemporary crops that his ears are cropped.

It kind of reminds me when, bowing to social pressure, some DVMs started telling puppy owners that juvenile spays and castrations were not only not a problem, but were actually recommended.

John L
Portland OR
I was told by one of the two vets I visited I needed to get her spayed asap before her first heat cycle or she would have health issues & mammary cancer. After researching apparently it’s best to wait two years. I figure this vet just doesn’t know much about Dobermans.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,247 Posts
Ok that’s good to know! One of the ladies at the front desk told me it was against the law here since it was considered cruel.
I would definitely find another vet if this one is willing to pass on wrong information just to fit their agenda, who knows what else they might tell you--this is unethical, IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I have not been shamed, yet, but I live in North Carolina where folks mostly mind their own business vs California the land of the woke. Curious that the pups were not purebred but were still cropped. Does your girl appear to have some shepherd traits? Maybe that was the basis of the vet having issues. And if the breeder was a BYB the crop job may be a little iffy.
Here’s some pics! She looks pretty purebred to me, I was surprised after getting the dna test. However, the people I got her from spoke no English & were a little sketchy. Not sure if they are backyard breeders or if it was a genuine accident.
The first vet I brought her to the receptionist told me that whoever did “that” to her was awful & it’s proven inhumane and cruel and totally unnecessary. She kept saying “you poor baby, im sorry your mama did that to you” right in front of me at first before she even greeted me. I explained that I received her like this.

Here’s some pics! She looks pretty purebred to me, I was surprised after getting the dna test. However, the people I got her from spoke no English & were a little sketchy. Not sure if they are backyard breeders or if it was a genuine accident.
The first vet I brought her to the receptionist told me that whoever did “that” to her was awful & it’s proven inhumane and cruel and totally unnecessary. She kept saying “you poor baby, im sorry your mama did that to you” right in front of me at first before she even greeted me. I explained that I received her like this.
It sounds like a terrible vet office from the top down , there are too many good vet practices to support these clowns.
one was a banfield, the other was an independent

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was told by one of the two vets I visited I needed to get her spayed asap before her first heat cycle or she would have health issues & mammary cancer. After researching apparently it’s best to wait two years. I figure this vet just doesn’t know much about Dobermans.
The problems with early spay/neuter aren't a Doberman thing, they're an all-dogs thing. It's understandable that shelters and rescues adopted it because it eliminated the problem of adopting out young dogs and then owners not doing the spay/neuter and producing more puppies. Understandable also for vets who see the results of that. However, much as many jumped on that bandwagon and don't want to get off, it's proven not in the dogs' best interest.

When I was in my last puppy search, I joined a puppy-specific forum and unjoined because I couldn't take a lot of what I saw. One of those things that bothered me is vets still making these recommendations and also plunking every vaccine ever discovered into puppies, telling people vaccines are a series and the puppy isn't covered until after the last one. Some vets are still insisting on annual vaccines when it's been shown the most necessary vaccines are good for, depending on which one you're talking about, 3, 5, even 7 years. Even state governments finally acknowledged this and most have moved their rabies vaccine law requirements from one year to at least 3.

My vets don't always agree with my choices, but they don't lie to me to get me to do things their way either. My puppies get a second parvo/distemper vaccine, are then titered, and if the titer is positive, that's it. All the vets say is it's a lot more expensive, which it is. They don't argue.

In your shoes I would start looking for a more up to date vet with better staff who know their job isn't to make opinionated remarks. I know that's a hard thing to do these days and may be a project, though. Evidently vets have trouble getting and retaining staff, and there's a real shortage of vets all over.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,247 Posts
With a quick or ordinary public glance, she looks purebred. Her face/cheek markings aren't quite typical (the cheek spot is completely merged with her nose marking and larger than usual)--the face masking is often the place where the German Shepherd mix shows up. Her coat looks dobe too--often a dobe mix will have longer hair that is wavy or not as sleek as a purebred's coat is.

Her crop suits her regardless--it looks nice.

But how old is she now? Her ears are standing awfully well in the last pics for a 4 month old puppy, and to me at least, she looks older.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts