Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some DT members might know that my Elza is a temperate girl.
However, honestly speaking I have been injured by Elza's misbehaviors, twice. Both happened before she reached 3 years old.

First time was that I was scooping up her mess on the street and didn't notice the bike was approaching. Back then Elza was a terrible jumper, she attempted to jump at the bike. Luckily she failed but I was dragged. The stain of my jeans and blood remained on the street.
Second time was cat chasing. Elza is obsessed with cats so I always try to find a cat earlier than Elza and change the route. At that time she found first and dashed crossing the street!! Thank G, there was no car, but she ran crazily fast and I finally fell down badly. I accidentally released the leash and called "Elza". She returned me right away as if nothing happened!! I injured the toe nail and it took six months to complete healing.

Being dragged by my dog and injured were not OK, quite shocking, but I learned a lot from my experiences. I've corrected her jumping habit and become more careful when I walk Elza. My cat detection sensor has been improved(lol). Yes, I was scared to walk Elza for a few weeks after those incidents but overcame anyway. Now I enjoy it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sounds like operator error and you have learned. I went biking with my girl Blossom. only she went left when I went right. The bike hit the pavement hard and my head with it. She sat by my side just looked at me, I finally got up,limped home and we never went biking again. Lesson learned. :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Haha I have had soooo many injuries from Odin! I have been head butted to the face which caused a black eye! I also managed to catch his head with the back of my hand whilst playing and that resulted in one rather bruised hand for me! Odin was fine as he has such a bleeding hard head, me, well I was walking around cussing my little head off it hurt so much! I have a nice jagged scar by my right knee cap from his dew claw whilst playing! Playing suddenly seems a lot more like getting beat up by my dog then play...

I also have a scar on one of my finger joints on my right hand from stopping a dog fight between odin and another male at my classes! My trainer taught me a technique on how to take a dog down without getting bitten, however, I was so engrossed into stopping the fight I hadn't realised I had full on punched the Tarmac with my hand. I had blood pouring down my hand (I still have the blood stain on my trainer). I had to leave the lesson to clean myself up! That took 5 weeks to heal and it still hurts now and I did this back in march!

My worst injury though was whilst walking Odin on the airfield with a flexi lead! I was being careful not to fall down any rabbit holes or over tufts of grass! I was being so careful I didn't notice Odin chasing a rabbit! I looked up in time to see him run in an arc around me so he managed to get up to full speed before he wrenched the lead from my hand! So rabbit, followed by a Doberman, followed by his lead and then by me chasing the lot of them! He damaged the muscles so much in my arm I couldn't use it, trying to take the handbrake of in the car was impossible! That took 2 weeks to get back to strength! Needless to say I learnt my lesson that day the hard way! However I wouldn't change Odin for the world so I daresay I will be injured by him again at some point!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
No excessive injuries in Amy's family, that involved bloody cuts or leash draged.
- she was trained early off-leash, before on-leash / pup was also trained to ignore cats off the property, only fair game if one cat sneaks around on our yard
(dobe isn't allowed to continue the chase if it involves stepping foot on the paved roadway...for safety reasons)

But the rare & occasional, discomfort:
- stepped on the male balls, aka private parts
- a paw pad from hind leg stretched into the FM boobies
- accidential nose poke, in the eye ball
- accidental head butt too the human nose
Very infrequent bedtime mishaps, in the dark...he-he.
But they still hurt, for a minute or two.

.............I also have a scar on one of my finger joints on my right hand from stopping a dog fight between odin and another male at my classes! My trainer taught me a technique on how to take a dog down without getting bitten, however, I was so engrossed into stopping the fight I hadn't realised I had full on punched the Tarmac with my hand. I had blood pouring down my hand (I still have the blood stain on my trainer). I had to leave the lesson to clean myself up! That took 5 weeks to heal and it still hurts now and I did this back in march! .............
^^^^ Zeblar - Be interested in how this is done.
A more effective & safer defense (than just winging it), would be interested in learning...thanks.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zeblar, you have many stories with Odin!
Chasing a rabbit at the airfield!? Poor rabbit, so were you at the complete open area. When chasing a cat, Elza at last entered the neighbor's property. I managed to dodge out of damaging their parked car and the plants but hit my body to the wall and fell down...
Terrible, but I found out that Elza can be recalled, off leashed. That's the good thing from my experience;)

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Ilka's not a Dobe, but she's given me more injuries in the two years I've had her than all my other dogs. Combined. The worst is the torn ligament in my right shoulder. She did that when she was 6 months old, and weighed about 35 pounds. She headbutted me in the left knee when she was 1 1/2, and weighed maybe 45 pounds. I was on the ground in tears, unable to move for probably 10 minutes, and limping for days afterward. There's more, but those are the most spectacular. As far as minor injuries go, I've had more bruises from this dog....

I quess I probably should include the sprained ankle, even though she didn't cause that, because it was dog-related. I was walking her and Lucky, wasn't watching where I was going, stepped off the edge of the road, and sprained the h*ll out of my left ankle. Still hurts over a year later.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Magnum has a relatively high prey drive and really enjoys terrorizing (tormented by) the squirrels in the yard. One afternoon we were out for a walk, while crossing under a big oak tree two squirrels that were fighting came crashing down out of the tree. One squirrel hit the ground about a foot in front of Magnum, one landed on his back. Ever see the youtube videos of the startled cats that jump about 2 feet straight up...well Magnum went up like a sping loaded toy, about 4 feet. He was twisting and barking and all 4 legs going 90 MPH, you would have thought it was the end of the world. I was laughing my tail off, then the fun was over. Squirrels headed up the tree, Magnum touched down (all legs still going full speed) and was off like a shot. He made it about 6.5" up the tree. Almost pulled my arm out of the socket, and I still (8 months later) have some tendon/muscle issues in the leash arm.

There have been many of the standard head butt, banged hand, getting tripped, etc...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Aside from the various normal bumps and bruises, I got sandwiched between two full grown Dobermans running full speed in play and they took my knee out! It has been replaced.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How sweet Amy is. Her original temperate and training.

Elza reacts only to the cats but recently that tendency is getting to be milder because she's 3 yrs old?
Funny thing was when she saw a Pomeranian far away, she thought it was a cat and was ready to go! I could imagine what she was thinking so I told her it's a doggy and Elza understood the word Doggy and became calm:)

·
Registered
974 Posts
^^^^ Zeblar - Be interested in how this is done.
A more effective & safer defense (than just winging it), would be interested in learning...thanks.
Basically it's all to do with using the lead, mine is usually a leather one that's about 1m long at classes to keep them close by! When it kicks off, run your hand thats not holding the lead down the length until you reach the clasp by the collar then pull down! The dog gets pulled down into submission position and you as the owner can avoid all the teeth... Just be wary of the floor so your fingers don't end up like mine lol!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Magnum has a relatively high prey drive and really enjoys terrorizing (tormented by) the squirrels in the yard. One afternoon we were out for a walk, while crossing under a big oak tree two squirrels that were fighting came crashing down out of the tree. One squirrel hit the ground about a foot in front of Magnum, one landed on his back. Ever see the youtube videos of the startled cats that jump about 2 feet straight up...well Magnum went up like a sping loaded toy, about 4 feet. He was twisting and barking and all 4 legs going 90 MPH, you would have thought it was the end of the world. I was laughing my tail off, then the fun was over. Squirrels headed up the tree, Magnum touched down (all legs still going full speed) and was off like a shot. He made it about 6.5" up the tree. Almost pulled my arm out of the socket, and I still (8 months later) have some tendon/muscle issues in the leash arm.

There have been many of the standard head butt, banged hand, getting tripped, etc...
:roflmao: If the same thing happened to Elza, she would scream instead of barking.
Still hurt? Please take care;)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
How sweet Amy is. Her original temperate and training.

Elza reacts only to the cats but recently that tendency is getting to be milder because she's 3 yrs old?
Funny thing was when she saw a Pomeranian far away, she thought it was a cat and was ready to go! I could imagine what she was thinking so I told her it's a doggy and Elza understood the word Doggy and became calm:)
^^^^ Elzajpn - that is smart, what you did / if we tell our dobes not to chase, before it happens, half the battle is won / and calmness achieved.
Next time our verbal communication is quicker to comprehend for the dobe, and within no time, the added work & awareness, is easily working to a "t".
- and thanks for the Amy, kind words

When we had a baby bunny in our back yard, that would graze fresh grass...I lead puppy Amy (out for potty) with an watchful eye for the little babies safety.
Once I spotted it, I asked Amy to sit and we would watch it together in the dark...usually for 5 minutes, in total.
To add some fun and a controlled OB lesson, I talked to Amy and told her "it was one of her animal babies, from the animal kindom"...and I instructed her "no bark".
Then I would ask young Amy to advance with me, a few feet and sit again for another minute...while talking in a low voice.
A minute goes by, the two of us, would move a few feet closer again.
Within no time, Amy is within 15 feet of the young bunny and is very happy in the little game, Dad just made up.

So I made a little lean to for the bunny (behind the rear house wall) and dropped some lettuce down at dusk, most nights.
Many times during the week...Amy and her Dad, got to watch wildlife, in our back yard.
- the natural training experience, became a real tool for the skill Amy aquired...early on
During the day, Amy's critter training happened by our back yard bird seed feeder / and she quickly learned to ignore squirrels, chipmunks and birds.
- I like to train outside dog discipline, this way to start / both night and day time

But stray cats are fair game, on our property, because they try and hunt down and kill the chipmunk, I trained to eat peanuts from my hand.
- we don't have a stray cat problem here with a dobe on patrol, that is when Amy's prey drive kicks in on overdrive...I still wanted to keep her god given instincts, in tact

Zeblar, you have many stories with Odin!
Chasing a rabbit at the airfield!? Poor rabbit, so were you at the complete open area. When chasing a cat, Elza at last entered the neighbor's property. I managed to dodge out of damaging their parked car and the plants but hit my body to the wall and fell down...
Terrible, but I found out that Elza can be recalled, off leashed. That's the good thing from my experience;)
Great stuff Elza & Elzajpn...:nicejob:
- some parts of Japan are densely populated / any city woodlots or trails, to practice some natural off-leash ??

·
Registered
158 Posts
I get the hell beat out of me just about every morning between 5:30 and 5:55 AM. Outside business and breakfast will net a bloody lip at least twice a week. Probably a good thing I don't bruise easily!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I can no longer continue to be pulled on a walk, as it is becoming counterproductive and then I have had on occasion to skip a day so my back recovers, while exercising Nubis in the yard. Luckily, he is not a bolter but he is going through his second fear stage, and attempting to challenge my leadership, in subtle ways. I recognized, I failed in some areas, and he is going thru some personality changes due to the second fear stage and Doberteens. but starting early last week, the tides of change occurred.
With the help of a trainer, the choke collar will be ditched and once i am properly/personally trained, the prong collar will be used as a training tool.
I have read some good stuff on its usage, but just needed further persuasion and a trained hand to properly show me how to use it. Luck, has it, the trainer had previously owned a Doberman and is not reading from a book or online.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Funny you should ask!

Aside from the various normal bumps and bruises, I got sandwiched between two full grown Dobermans running full speed in play and they took my knee out! It has been replaced.
I'm just now back to work after three weeks of "rest." In May I accidentally stepped in front of Levi while he was in hot pursuit of a Frisbee. He knocked my feet out from under me so hard that I came down shoulder first on a piece of brick edging and separated my shoulder.

Levi of course had no idea. I can only imagine what getting hit by TWO of them must feel like.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can no longer continue to be pulled on a walk, as it is becoming counterproductive and then I have had on occasion to skip a day so my back recovers, while exercising Nubis in the yard. Luckily, he is not a bolter but he is going through his second fear stage, and attempting to challenge my leadership, in subtle ways. I recognized, I failed in some areas, and he is going thru some personality changes due to the second fear stage and Doberteens. but starting early last week, the tides of change occurred.
With the help of a trainer, the choke collar will be ditched and once i am properly/personally trained, the prong collar will be used as a training tool.
I have read some good stuff on its usage, but just needed further persuasion and a trained hand to properly show me how to use it. Luck, has it, the trainer had previously owned a Doberman and is not reading from a book or online.
The prong collar is where it's at when it comes to training not to pull or heeling with turns and such... power steering for your dog is how ****'s trainer refers to them.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Elka has jumped on various male peoples' crotches (not recently), and done the typical head butts. She also has a penchant for "dolphin nosing" people in the eye socket.

One of our bath sessions resulted in her almost breaking my jaw...it didn't open or close properly for the rest of that day, but felt fine the next day. More or less.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,466 Posts
Black eye (Broken glasses, grrrr!)

Badly sprained ankle (run into--by the other dog-- from behind at an off-leash dog park--no leash pulling to blame it on there!)

Broken front tooth (Greeting, Dog smiled, I smiled, Dog bounced, Teeth collided, Dog teeth stronger than people teeth!)

Those are the high points--but there is always the chance for more.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts