Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Okay so were heading to Honduras in feb for 8 weeks. We thought it wouldn't be a problem to take Sylar with us. Wrong. It's quite complicated(we're in canada) so after much debate, we are going to have to leave him in a boarding/kennel place. Has anyone here had to do this before and have any advice/suggestions? If anyone is from Ontario, Canada any references would be a bonus. Sylar will be 9 months at the time that we have to leave him:(

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
would it be possible to get a pet/house sitter? it might be better for him to be in his home. two months is an awfully long time for a dog, let alone a young pup. you might try checking with your vet - a lot of times vet techs will pet sit for extra money

good luck
cc

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
I have left my dogs and parrot for 4 weeks - not boarded though. I had a friend (actually a couple friends over the month) stay at my place, and I paid them. It was cheaper, more personal, and my animals didn't have to be in a strange location. Everything went very well overall. Do you have any friends that you can rely on? I realize 8 weeks is a long time, but I think it would be preferable and less stressful. Or you could go with a dog walker/feeder/player/lover who came into your home but didn't necessarily stay there... or some combination of the two.

I do hear of lots of people who kennel/board their dogs without issue. I'm sure some folks here will speak up. I feel lucky to be able to have house/pet-sitters when we leave!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's actually 6 weeks, my mistake. Our relatives are all there and inlaws are going with us so there really isn't anyone we can ask. I don't really want a dog sitter in and out of my house for 6 weeks and the cost would almost be the same as a kennel. I will keep an open mind though and if it somehow appears that we can have friends stay and watch the house/pup that would be WONDERFUL!:) if not i'll still like any recommendations from anyone who has had to do something similar...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We live in Brampton, so anywhere within a few hours drive would be fine. I asked our breeder (amazing lady) but her kennel is not heated and so he'd freeze.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I do hear of lots of people who kennel/board their dogs without issue. I'm sure some folks here will speak up. I feel lucky to be able to have house/pet-sitters when we leave!
I travel a lot, so it's not unusual for my dogs to be boarded for up to 2-3 weeks at a time. However, I don't know if I'd be comfortable leaving a dog (especially a puppy) in a kennel for 2 months. I like Mary's suggestion of seeing if the breeder will keep the pup for the time the OP is gone much better.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
It's actually 6 weeks, my mistake. Our relatives are all there and inlaws are going with us so there really isn't anyone we can ask. I don't really want a dog sitter in and out of my house for 6 weeks and the cost would almost be the same as a kennel. I will keep an open mind though and if it somehow appears that we can have friends stay and watch the house/pup that would be WONDERFUL!:) if not i'll still like any recommendations from anyone who has had to do something similar...
Have any friends with dogs? We help each other out when we go on various trips... AND you know you can trust them.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey is 9 months now, and I couldn't imagine him being in a kennel for 6 weeks, his activity level is so high right now. You may have a bit of retraining to do when you return. But that being said....you still need a kennel. If I was you, I'd start interviewing kennels, and taking tours. Find one that offers lots of extras, like a raised bed, soft bedding at bedtime, toys, treat time, exersize time in a large fenced area, piped in music. My kennel offers all of this. You might even be able to find a more homey kennel, or in house type situation. Just start your search early, find one that you feel very comfortable with. Once he gets used to the kennel, he will be fine, but boy will he be HAPPY when you pick him up!!!

Good luck.

Carol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
were going to look at a few kennels this weekend. The place where we go for obedience classes recommened one so we'll see how it goes....

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
were going to look at a few kennels this weekend. The place where we go for obedience classes recommened one so we'll see how it goes....
I have 3 thoughts.
Where you take ob classes perhaps instructor would vist Skylar at kennel--(I would offer to pay her)
Or is there a dobe rescue that would take Skylar (with pay of course) for the 6 weeks.
Or what about someone your vet knows that would babysit Skylar in their home. (also with pay) (secure fenced in yard a must)
I would still do 3 references on any of these also.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good News! One of the instructors in our obedience class runs a really nice kennel, in their price they include play time, socializing, kong treats and the kennels are heated. Plus it's his own instructor who will be there so Sylar knows her. We're going to board him a few weekends off and on so that he gets used to it and by end of Jan, it shouldn't be a big deal for him. Thanks for all the advice guys. Oh and by the way i was appalled at my Vet's idea of boarding. Sheesh. It's in the building basement with no sunlight and they only get let out twice for 30 minute walks on a choke chain. Extra walks were $5 more and only if they could fit it in. No way I would send him there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts