Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is just a family member not a show dog or work dog but he is full AKC with good lines and has passed his VWD test not a carrier. He is going to be 2 years old soon and we are going to do his heart/eyes/joint tests as well which I expect him to do well on, he is one of the healthiest smartest best tempered dogs I've ever seen. We love his personality to death and I know everyone thinks their dog is the best but everyone that sees him says he is beautiful and we have a really good vet nearby that did an amazing job on his ears and tail. We just want to breed him once or twice so we can have a puppy (not to breed them together) to keep the fun going because we can't imagine living without one at this point.

Any ideas on how to go about getting this done?

·
Registered
529 Posts
It is real nice to meet another individual no matter how many you meet that truly loves their Doberman. Once you have had a Doberman it seems that every other breed just doesn't quite cut the mustard. As you may know each breed has what we call a parent club, and for Dobermans this would be the Doberman Pinscher club of America. This club kind of sets the guidelines for the Doberman, Called the breed standard. They also set the standards of what an ethical breeder should be. And since we all truly care about the breed we also care about the breed as a whole and how what we produce fits into that.

Here is a page from the DPCA on breeding. I think you will find it helpful.

https://dpca.org/PublicEd/the-doberman/reproduction/

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
Welcome to DT. I can appreciate your love and enthusiasm for your boy. I wish all doberman owners were like that. However, just because he's a great family pet and currently healthy, it does not mean he's a good dog to breed. We should want more when breeding our dogs other than just a second puppy for our familes to enjoy.

As doberman owners and lovers of the breed we should hold the dogs we consider for breeding to the highest standards. They should be close to perfect examples of the breed visually, structurally, and temperamentally. It takes years of experience with the breed, showing, working, and learning under the close supervision of a breed mentor to have an eye for this. It's also important to have an outside opinion on the dog prior to breeding. This is why reputable breeders will show their dogs in the show ring to earn a show championship title or title their dogs in a working sport first. Only then can the proper health testing you mention take place and then the dog can be advertised to approved bitches.

I encourage you to stick around DT and read. Also check out the DPCA.org site. There are so many great articles there on the doberman breed, its history, showing, titling, breeding, etc.

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
I hope we didn't scare you off! What's your boy's name? Feel free to share a photo or two of him. We also have a monthly photo calendar contest you may enjoy participating in.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I echo what others have said. Also, if you love your male and want one like him I would suggest you reach out to the breeder for the same breeding.

I would also suggest joining your local DPCA chapter and finding a mentor. Breeding takes decades to get right and you need someone there who can give you their decades of experience. Many things can go wrong.

A LOT goes into ethical breeding, more so than just health testing. You want to make sure the puppies are protected. You need a good contract, you need to know what kind of registration you're willing to give the buyers, your puppies should be microchipped.... How will you support your puppy buyers?

Also, likely if you have full registration and full breeding rights your male probably didn't come from the best breeder or the best lines. I would suggest researching ALL of the dogs in your boys pedigree via the internet and find out all of the cause of deaths and then reaching out to the breeder and asking as well. Sure your boy is healthy now but he's just a baby, that doesn't mean he'll stay healthy and are you ok breeding a dog with hereditary diseases and passing them on?

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
He is just a family member not a show dog or work dog but he is full AKC with good lines and has passed his VWD test not a carrier. He is going to be 2 years old soon and we are going to do his heart/eyes/joint tests as well which I expect him to do well on, he is one of the healthiest smartest best tempered dogs I've ever seen. We love his personality to death and I know everyone thinks their dog is the best but everyone that sees him says he is beautiful and we have a really good vet nearby that did an amazing job on his ears and tail. We just want to breed him once or twice so we can have a puppy (not to breed them together) to keep the fun going because we can't imagine living without one at this point.

Any ideas on how to go about getting this done?
Please don't breed him!! "You" people are destroying the breed by having absolutely no idea what is required. No offense, but maintaining this breed is much more important than politeness...

·
Big Lil pup
6,230 Posts
Hi Akio. This discussion is 3 years old, and the OP has not be back on since their initial and only post.

BTW... On a forum such as this one, "politeness" is paramount to the fostering of meaningful discussions. On many similar sites, potentially valuable conversations deteriorate into arguments or petty squabble. Here on DT, everyone is treated with respect. The members understand the concept, and our moderators (also members) help to remind us.

In any case, I don't think mk 1 spyder was ready to receive the responses they got, regardless of how gently that they were proffered. LOL

If I haven't said so before on any of your other posts: Welcome from the Pacific NW!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
21,497 Posts
Please don't breed him!! "You" people are destroying the breed by having absolutely no idea what is required. No offense, but maintaining this breed is much more important than politeness...
Perhaps it's time to introduce yourself to the forum and give us a bit of background? You seem to have come in with some strong opinions.

This is a three year old thread and had zero reason to be resurrected. I'm closing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.