Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gemma woke me up at 1220 this morning with The Look....I just thought she needed to go outside asap. Get up and see the two big piles on the floor...thought they were poop at first, nope puke. Hmmmm. Does kibble expand that much?? Oh well, take her outside and no poop but pee. Go in find another large pile of dog food. WTH. Start freaking out thinking it might be an obstruction. Wake up the fully and realize she had normal bm's the day before and last at about 8pm. Feel her tummy, doesn't seem abnormal but she's being a little jumpy because she thinks she's in trouble for the messes. Gums look good, she doesn't feel too warm to the touch. Consider giving her gas x...realize i really do not know enough to give her anything so just clean up put her in our room with us to keep an eye on her (she prefers the couch). Slept through the night fine, begged for her fish oil this morning and ate just fine. I have no idea what the deal is. Maybe just a stomach thing? I mean dogs can get sick without a huge reason (obstruction, bloat, etc), right? Unfortionately the bf and I are working the same shift this week so she will be solo for about 3 hrs this morning. If she was acting off this morning I would have skipped work and went to the vet, but she seems quite normal. I guess I'm just venting here, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed all is good when I go home at 11. If I can make it until 11. :( ugh. damn you sickies!!

**eta she was drinking more water yesterday evening, not ridiculous, but more.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
With adult dogs, I usually have them fast (water only) for 24 hours, then reintroduce food with a bland diet (boiled chicken and cooked rice). If they can handle that, slowly add kibble back in.

If you think there's any chance of an obstruction, you need to get her to the vet. Is she a dog that tries to eat stuff she shouldn't?

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MeadowCat, I would have said no this morning. She was loose in the house for the 3 hours I left her alone this morning. A pair of sandles and 3 slippers have died in the process. I know, bad/stupid call on my part. She looked so sweet and innocent (I know, I know) snoozing on the couch this morning. All pieces of said footwear seem to be there-but in pieces. She has had a bm today and seems fine-FULL of piss and vinegar. Needless to say, crate will be put back in use immediately and she will be enrolled in daycare effective almost immediately also. I will admit that since getting bigger (pregnant) she has been neglected as far as excercise. 1.25 miles is just not enough for her. Ok, I have officially gotten off topic here SORRY! :) I think she's ok health wise but we have eagle eyes on her. We could not find anything partially chewed and there is not anything missing from yesterday/last night.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
If I don't feed Ziggy at the EXACT same time every day, or if he just decides he doesn't want to eat, he will start puking for no real reason. First it'll just be bile but his stomach will be so upset later on that if he DOES try to eat he will likely puke it back up. Vicious cycle.. :lol:

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Parker will throw up sometimes for no apparent reason. I figure thathe just feels queasy at times and throws up. For him, as long as it is not often I dont worry about it. He doesnt eat socks or shoes or anything like that tho. I did drop California Natural Lamb & Rice from his food rotation because he was throwing it up too much. Your higher quality foods will not swell up much. It is the cheaper fiber filled foods that double and triple in size. If this happens very much, I would consider changing foods. What are you feeding now, if you dont mind saying? Also, you might have a good physical with full blood panels run on her. Do remember, tho, dogs just throw up at times. They will also drink more water if they have diarrhea or are throwing up much.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,343 Posts
Parker will throw up sometimes for no apparent reason. I figure thathe just feels queasy at times and throws up. For him, as long as it is not often I dont worry about it. He doesnt eat socks or shoes or anything like that tho. I did drop California Natural Lamb & Rice from his food rotation because he was throwing it up too much. Your higher quality foods will not swell up much. It is the cheaper fiber filled foods that double and triple in size. If this happens very much, I would consider changing foods. What are you feeding now, if you dont mind saying? Also, you might have a good physical with full blood panels run on her. Do remember, tho, dogs just throw up at times. They will also drink more water if they have diarrhea or are throwing up much.
Thanks Linda for this information. I did not know that about quality food does not swell up as much. I only feed quality food but very interesting to know this.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Oh yeah...if you remember before the quality foods of today when all you had was grocery store foods. If you added warm water or any liquid to them and let them sit for a bit, they would double or triple in size and get real mushy. When I heard the higher quality foods didnt swell, I had to check that out. I have added warm water to Parkers food and it will not suck it up, swell up, and turn to mush. I have fed good foods longer than I have had Parker but, his food is the only one I remember testing for sure. You ought to check it out sometime. Maybe you can get a handful of cheap food somewhere.:) Just had an idea! Go to Wal Mart, sidle down the dog food isle, kick a bag of Ole Roy and grab a handful! :laughing:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry it took me so long getting back...She's on TOTW, the fish blend. Supposed to be grain free, but not sure if that would have any bearing on the swelling up. Truth be told it is definitely not her favorite food, but it's the only one so far that she has good firm poops on. She's 100% back to normal now TG.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I had to take Nexus in for vomiting last week. I might have been paranoid but with her history of liking to eat things not edible I didnt want to take a chance. I have not seen her eat anything but I cant see her 24/7. She was throwing up alot. The vet said it was gastritis/enteritis and put her on meds. She is fine now.
I think its possible that they just get a stomach flu like issue and it runs its course.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think dogs can get stomach viruses same as people can. I have basically omitted dog parks and going to groomers because every time Izzy goes, she seems to pick up a virus. The day after said excursion, she will usually throw up. It makes me really nervous because she has been vaccinated appropriately will all sets of pup vaccines and yearly adult boosters, but I can't help but wonder if she is not mounting an immune response to the vaccines.
She will be off her feed for a day or so, and then be fine the next day. I don't keep poisonous plants around, and she has never, ever been an eater of toys or other household items. So, I have come to the conclusion that she catches viruses from other dogs from time to time.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Alisha, exactly what is she throwing up? Dogs dont pick up stomach viruses that I know of, especially not like you are talking about. It sounds to me more like she is picking up garbage to eat or maybe stress related. Please do a search for Dr Dodd's Vaccine Protocal, because you are over vaccinating your girl. Most vets know better then to give combo vaccines every year. The recommendation now is every three years with some like lepto, giardia and kennel cough only if the disease is likely in your area or needed for boarding. If your state allows it, you can only give rabies every three years. I would question a vet nowadays that gives shots every year. It is a money grab, imo.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That morning dad gave her interceptor and frontline...well, not frontline, but the other one from the vet. Advantage? It has never made her sick in the past, but I guess it could be possible?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
IMO, yes, giving both the same day could make her sick enough to throw up. I would talk to my vet about it and maybe have them note it on her records. It would be better not to do both the same day. You can ask your vet about that, too, but I space them at least a week apart if I have to give both.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Alisha, exactly what is she throwing up? Dogs dont pick up stomach viruses that I know of, especially not like you are talking about. It sounds to me more like she is picking up garbage to eat or maybe stress related. Please do a search for Dr Dodd's Vaccine Protocal, because you are over vaccinating your girl. Most vets know better then to give combo vaccines every year. The recommendation now is every three years with some like lepto, giardia and kennel cough only if the disease is likely in your area or needed for boarding. If your state allows it, you can only give rabies every three years. I would question a vet nowadays that gives shots every year. It is a money grab, imo.
You may be right about the viruses. I am just concerned that she may not have mounted a full immune response to the parvo vaccine. I think I remember some other thread on DT where their Dobe contracted parvovirus even though they had been fully vaccinated against it. It was much milder because of having received the vaccination and having had a partial immune response so to speak. In Alabama, the law requires vabies vaccination annually or every three years depending on what vaccination is used. I may indeed be overvaccinating Izzy, but the true need for vaccination frequency can only fully be established by titer testing.
As far as what she vomits, the last episode was digested food with what appeared to be bile. She then later had two episodes of diarrhea that night. No signs of fever or pain, and I make sure to watch her for adequate fluid intake as well.
As far as over vaccinating, it's hard for me to not get the offered vaccines. I am a health care professional, and I have a strong belief in the importance of vaccines. I just want to make sure that I am doing everything that I possible can to ensure that my dog is as healthy as can be.
If titer testing for immunity were done more widely in my area, then I would consider vaccinating less often. It's just my opinon, and I'm not saying that I am right or wrong...just an opinion. However, I am up for more education. Could you send me a link to the site you were referencing. I read an article from a veterinary journal a few months back about titer testing and less vaccination that was interesting, and may be similar to what you are refering to.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Posting from phone so cant link anything. If you dont know how to do a search on the forum, you can put the title I provided into your search engine and it will bring it up. It has been well known for quite sometime that yearly vaccines are not necessary and your vet should have explained that to you. I am old enough to remember when you only gave puppies two shots and that was it. I have never done the yearly shots, didnt make sense to me as the vaccine was the same. The rabies vaccine is the same also, whether it is given as 1 or 3 year. There is no 1 year rabies, it is all 3 year. Good luck in your research. Sometimes Parker has vomited bile in the a.m. I can prevent that by giving him a small handful of kibble before bedtime. Dont know about you girl. Never had a chihuahua.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Ya know, two weeks ago I had to take Pullo to the vet for vomiting. Since he's had 2 blockages already, I was thinking he had another but that was not the case. He threw up at least 1/2 dozen times in 5 hrs. He spent that day and night at the vet's getting fluids but no other meds. I live about 40 miles from anything so better there than home.

The vet said possibly something bacterial. He has been fine(well, his version of fine) ever since. i will say that I haven't put as much straw down in the muddy parts of the yard and that keeps their feet much cleaner. Less stuff to ingest when they lick their feet or whatever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts