Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is showing some signs of Kennel Cough but the vet thinks it may be a bacteria infection. The problem is she attends daycare at this vet clinic so I think that's why he is saying this. He put her on Tribrissen which is used to treat both....ummm. I think this is where she has picked it up.
Of course Tuesday she was in daycare while I had exams and Tuesday night she had O.B. class. I phoned the instructor to let him know what was going on and he was going to phone everyone in the class...just in case. She has also had her Bordetella vaccine, so much for that!!
Anyways, I have upped her Vit.C a little, is there anything else that would help?? :sadcry:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
There are many strains of kennel cough. The bordetella vaccine only covers the more common strains. Kind of like our flu shots. They cover the more prevelant strains, but there are just too many different ones to protect from them all.

It is possible she picked it up at her classes or somewhere else.

I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I pulled my puppy from training classes and gave him human cough meds, as his cough was really painful and he needed some relief.
I also gave him honey, which seemed to help too.
He chewed on ice cubes with Pedialyte. I kept things clean and sterile for him and made him as comfortable as possible.
He got kennel cough from his kennel cough vaccine and it got pretty bad. I only give the vaccine if I absolutely have to, otherwise I never vaccinate for it for that reason plus the reason that there are just so many strains.
Hope she feels better soon. It will go away on its own, but it is sad to see them sick.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips, unfortunately I had to give her the vaccine because of daycare and I think o.b. required it also. She had the vaccine awhile ago.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
She is showing some signs of Kennel Cough but the vet thinks it may be a bacteria infection. The problem is she attends daycare at this vet clinic so I think that's why he is saying this. He put her on Tribrissen which is used to treat both....ummm. I think this is where she has picked it up.
Of course Tuesday she was in daycare while I had exams and Tuesday night she had O.B. class. I phoned the instructor to let him know what was going on and he was going to phone everyone in the class...just in case. She has also had her Bordetella vaccine, so much for that!!
Anyways, I have upped her Vit.C a little, is there anything else that would help?? :sadcry:
I'd be careful about giving a doberman Tribrissen, it's a sulfa drug. This breed is known to be overrepresented in weird side effects with sulfa.

There are many different strains of bordetella, the available vaccines only provide protection for a few of them. However, vaccinating for it can help to minimize how sick the dog might get if it develops kennel cough.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I did exactly what dobesanddragons did. My vet even told me to get the cough syrup at the pharmacy. There were no prescriptions involved at all, and she was seen by our vet. Was just a time thing, was soon over. Our kennel cough was picked up at the shows, some people are rude and don't stay home when they should.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
waiting said:
I did exactly what dobesanddragons did. My vet even told me to get the cough syrup at the pharmacy. There were no prescriptions involved at all, and she was seen by our vet. Was just a time thing, was soon over. Our kennel cough was picked up at the shows, some people are rude and don't stay home when they should.

Well the strange thing is she is not really coughing but when straining against her collar she sounds flemy-if there is such a word. She is sneezing and has a little discharge from her nose. Maybe it is a upper rep. infection? Either way she does seem to be getting better, you would never know she was sick otherwise. Either the drugs are getting her better or it is just run it's course.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Murreydobe said:
I'd be careful about giving a doberman Tribrissen, it's a sulfa drug. This breed is known to be overrepresented in weird side effects with sulfa.

There are many different strains of bordetella, the available vaccines only provide protection for a few of them. However, vaccinating for it can help to minimize how sick the dog might get if it develops kennel cough.

She has been on them since Tuesday with no side effects so far. I looked the drug up in my Vet. manual and am watching for any.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
Well the strange thing is she is not really coughing but when straining against her collar she sounds flemy-if there is such a word. She is sneezing and has a little discharge from her nose. Maybe it is a upper rep. infection? Either way she does seem to be getting better, you would never know she was sick otherwise. Either the drugs are getting her better or it is just run it's course.
your vet is right, it doesnt sound like kennel cough at all.

i still wouldnt give a doberman a sulfa drug.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
doberkim said:
your vet is right, it doesnt sound like kennel cough at all.

i still wouldnt give a doberman a sulfa drug.

So what would you prescribe then??

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
So what would you prescribe then??
an antibiotic that targetted respiratory tissue that wasn't specifically contraindicated in dobermans?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
O.K. I have a recheck on Tuesday I will talk to the vet about it if she is not better by then.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
O.K. I have a recheck on Tuesday I will talk to the vet about it if she is not better by then.
Seriously, if you google "sulfa and dobermans", you'll see page after page of sites that mention that dobermans frequently have adverse reactions to sulfa drugs.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I hope she feels better soon. Doodle got kennel cough once from his old groomers once awhile back. It was a definate cough and hack. I felt so bad for the poor guy.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I normally go to a vet that is more experienced with dobes (*******'s breeders vet) but she is almost an hour away. It is obviously worth the trip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts