Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Ummm... these guys have invented a single product which cures Cushing's Disease and cancer and diabetes and mange and and and and? Really? Sounds like the next generation of snake oil, to me...

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
First, my personal favorite among the canine Cushings sites:
Pet Owner's Crash Course in Canine Cushing's Disease

Then, if I were you, I'd get the Low Dose Dexamethasone Suppression Test and thereby obtain a diagnosis.

Our last dog had Cushings about the last four years of her life, may God rest her sweet, sweet soul. She exhibited the excessive thirst, some mild skin changes (darkened areas, but no hair loss; skin tags), some ascites, frequent UTIs, and paralysis on one side of her head. As she came closer to the end of her path here, she had more and more UTIs and pancreatitis, which led to pretty drastic dietary changes for a dog who'd pretty much had a bite of whatever her daddy had been eating her entire life.

We were not seeing the homeopathic vet at our practice, but the "regular" vet we were seeing suggested a homeopathic remedy that the homeopathic vet does use, saying she has seen impressive results with it. The product is Symplex F from Standard Process. For our 65 lb. dog the prescribed by the vet dose was one tablet each 12 hours.

I believe the product works, however, you'll have to make a choice there. I'm certain it did reduce the cortisol that the dog was releasing. The side effect of that, though, is that the pituitary tumor began to grow. The result of the tumor's growth was cognitive disorder, some issues with balance, and, finally, an inability to manage her tongue well enough to drink effectively. At that point, we had to make the tough choice and let her go. FWIW, she had had facial paralysis on one side of her head for almost a year and a half at that point.

If you read the link I provided closely, you'll see that this is not an unknown phenomenon in treatment.

I am having a slow internet day, but if you Google "standard process symplex F", you can get information from the Standard Process folks, and also will discover the product can be had from Amazon as well as other online vendors.

If I were you, though, I would get a definite diagnosis. Cushings is a path, and a dog can enjoy good quality of life for some while with the disease. Even with the cognitive disorder, Soda did too chase a cat in the yard the last two weeks of her life. She was stumbling over the threshhold to get out, but she could run when she saw that cat!

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that cat story is funny...once Sparky's arthritis was so bad I bought and put together a wooden wagon for him--he stayed in it till I crossed the street and he saw a squirrel...he BUSTED out of the wagon...BROKE the whole thing...wood barriers and all and took off for the squirrel..................

So far thank God Sparky's Cushings is not that bad...all he does is drink ALOT and it used to be worse---about a year ago I counted five large bowls in one daytime session==now he doesn't do that anymore ....but he does drink alot

that is the main symptom so far......

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
that cat story is funny...once Sparky's arthritis was so bad I bought and put together a wooden wagon for him--he stayed in it till I crossed the street and he saw a squirrel...he BUSTED out of the wagon...BROKE the whole thing...wood barriers and all and took off for the squirrel..................

So far thank God Sparky's Cushings is not that bad...all he does is drink ALOT and it used to be worse---about a year ago I counted five large bowls in one daytime session==now he doesn't do that anymore ....but he does drink alot

that is the main symptom so far......
Have you had a test done for diabetes?

Reactions: GrdnDelite

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw that while googling- diabetes could be it also so have that on the list for vet check...he did just see her in FEB ...she felt it was Cushings..

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I saw that while googling- diabetes could be it also so have that on the list for vet check...he did just see her in FEB ...she felt it was Cushings..
It would not be uncommon for it to be both actually. With diabetes as a secondary to the cushings itself.

Have you had a full thyroid panel run? My boy presented with cushings-like symptoms, but it was actually super low thyroid. We used to call him "The Camel" because he drank TONS of water. :)

Reactions: GrdnDelite

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
interesting...I'll ask her about this --I do know that the last vet visit was mostly focused on his arthritis..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts