Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little man is going to get his ears cropped in a few weeks and i was just wondering if anyone on here has used Dr hayes in greenville NC. He is about 2.5 hrs away from me but i dont mind the drive or whatever price i have to pay to make sure he is well taking care of and has a good crop:) If anyone has used him, has any feedback or any pictures of crops he's done if you would please share. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I don't think he does long crops for dobermans. Try Dr. Haroff at Cabarrus Animal or Dr. Bill Martin

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Isn't your dog around 10 weeks now? In a few weeks he'll be 3 months old. The optimal time to crop is around 7-8 weeks.

My little man is going to get his ears cropped in a few weeks and i was just wondering if anyone on here has used Dr hayes in greenville NC. He is about 2.5 hrs away from me but i dont mind the drive or whatever price i have to pay to make sure he is well taking care of and has a good crop:) If anyone has used him, has any feedback or any pictures of crops he's done if you would please share. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is around 10 weeks old now but a couple of vets that i have talked to about cropping have said that they do it a little older than 7-8weeks. I was a little concerned at first having done alot of research and seeing the age they were done but having had the consult with the above vet (he has been doing them for quite some time now) he said he used to do them around that time but has actually found he has good results with waiting a little longer to do the crop, we are not going with show crop. I was just wondering if anyone had used him before on here to see how they liked how the ears turned out :)

·
Carter
11 Posts
I used Dr. Hayes for my dog and he did a really good job. When you go into his office you pick a crop from his scrapbook. My puppy was 12 weeks old (almost 13) when he did the crop. He called and told me that he had never cropped a dog as large as mine. She just had her sutures taken out a week ago and her ears are standing. My husband took her to a local vet today in order to get her ears re taped. This vet also does doberman crops but I heard better things about Dr. Hayes. This vet told my husband that we didn't have to post her ears anymore because the crop is already good. However, we are still posting because she does have pockets that we are trying to get rid of.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Carter Oak and others in NC, would ya'll post pics of your pet crops? Maybe start a new thread? There are people who don't like super long crops but still want a well-shaped ear. It would be helpful to see what these vets are doing. It may be still too short for a lot of folks tastes if they stand right away.

Also, what does he mean by good results? Does he mean quicker to stand? That is irrelevant in my book. Posting an extra couple of weeks is not a hardship on puppy or owner. Cropping at 10-12 weeks is more painful for the puppy afterwards. At 7-8 weeks, they don't skip a beat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I will be happy to post some pics after zep gets his ears done:) when we had our consult he told us how he would do it and what he uses as far as meds during surgery and pain meds after surgery. I was worried about zeps pain and he reassured me about it. He said the ears usually stand 4-6 weeks. When he was talking about good results he has found that it didnt really make a difference by waiting until puppy was a little older to do the surgery and they seemed to still do ok with it after doing it for so many years this is the time frame he liked:)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
But he still couldn't give you a reason; just danced around it a little. Vets can be a close-mouthed bunch, huh? FWIW, the vet who said he would only do mine at 10 weeks had no problem with doing a friend's litter at 7 weeks and does another breeders as well.

Anyway, I'd love to see the crop; thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts